tv_RectFill ... "Fill Inside checkbox" BUG! can someone confirm Please?? Topic is solved

A forum dedicated to George scripting questions
Svengali

tv_RectFill ... "Fill Inside checkbox" BUG! can someone confirm Please??

Post by Svengali »

I seem to have run into a SIMPLE BUT NON-OBVIOUS BUG in the tv_RectFill (THE FILLED RECTANGLE) tool command.

Normally, when the Rectangle Fill tool is selected, the Fill Inside box is, by default, unchecked. The Fill Inside box is only checked when the user is trying to fill oddly shaped, outline enclosed areas, otherwise,the Fill Inside Box stays unchecked.

But, If you try to use the Rectangle Fill tool with the intent of drawing some filled rectangles, and don't notice the Fill Inside box is checked, it just doesn't work (by which I mean, you can't draw Filled Rectangles)!?!

Could someone confirm this? Just select the Rectangle Fill Tool, then, after drawing a filled rectangle, check the Fill Inside box and try drawing another rectangle. Can't, huh?

in addition to having to manually correct this apparent BUG, I was hoping there was a way using GEORGE, to TEST AND TOGGLE THE FILL INSIDE BOX CHECK on and off. Is there such a command? If not, we really need one!

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
NathanOtano

Re: tv_RectFill ... "Fill Inside checkbox" BUG! can someone confirm Please??

Post by NathanOtano »

Because the "fill inside" needs strokes to be used properly, i guess it's normal that you can't draw a rectangle? Maybe just desactivate feel inside in your script?

I have a similar problem when using a script to fill the whole screen, while the rect tool is in merge mode. Doesn't work. I'll fix this now...
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Thanks for the reply Nathan... If there were a GEORGE command to let my script test if Fill Inside was on/off and which would also let it toggle the state, accordingly, my scripts could use that... but the only mentions of Fill Inside in the GEORGE reference list are buried inside the "mysterious tv_no" commands.

EDIT: Since originally posting, I found that you CAN test if the "Fill Inside Box" is checked:
before:
tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 0 // unchecks "Fill Inside Box" and returns the previous state
FillInsidePreviousState = result // can be stored to restore "Fill Inside Box" afterwards

after:
tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE FillInsidePreviousState // restores previous state of "Fill Inside Box"

sven
Last edited by Svengali on 04 Jun 2020, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

"Fill Inside" option on Filling Shape Tool, I was requested as an important function in Japan.
Implemented at recent minor version.
At that time, the same options were set for Filed Rectangle, Filled Ellipse, and Paint bucket.
I forgot about a request to make this option controllable in George, but I think developper added it to tv_no_filltool.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I still think this is a bug: Filled Stroke, Filled Line, Filled Rectangle, Filled Elipse, Filled 2 Pts Circle, Filled 3Pts Circle, Filled Bezier Spline, Filled B-Spline Spline all do not work IF THE "FILL INSIDE CHECKBOX" IS CHECKED.
LIkewise, GEORGE commands tv_CircleFill, tv_EllipseFill, tv_RectFill will also not work in your script IF THE "FILL INSIDE CHECKBOX" IS CHECKED.

Workaround:
tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 0 // include this comand to insure that the "Fill Inside checkbox" is unchecked.

CONCLUSION:
TVPaint Programmers: the software needs to internally test the "Fill Inside checkbox" and set to off, any time someone selects any drawing mode that is supposed to fill a drawn shape Otherwise the user won't get the filled shape AND it is very UN-intuitive to track down the cause.

Any GEORGE SCRIPT that includes a command to draw a filled shape (Circle, Ellipse, Rectangle on a frame) should include the line tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 0 to guarantee the "Fill Inside checkbox" is unchecked. Note also that the "Fill Inside checkbox" can be turned on if need be: tv_AreaInit FILLINSIDE 1.

Sven
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 07:35 "Fill Inside" option on Filling Shape Tool, I was requested as an important function in Japan.
Implemented at recent minor version.
At that time, the same options were set for Filed Rectangle, Filled Ellipse, and Paint bucket.
I forgot about a request to make this option controllable in George, but I think developper added it to tv_no_filltool.
Reminder: any GEORGE command in the Instructions and Commands list that includes word "_no_" is not an actual command (like the tv_no_filltool). The purpose of the _no_ commands appears to be a way to list the names, their values and their order, as you would see them if the "backup" feature was enabled.

FROM THE GEORGE INSTRUCTIONS AND COMMANDS LIST:
tv_no_filltool "backup"

[WARNING]
This command DOESN'T exist, it's just to comment its parameters (usable by tv_setactiveshape)

sven

sven
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

I apologize for any uncertain comments.
Parameter of fill_inside can be specified by george.
In the custom panel called "White Stamp" that I uploaded to the Japanese user forum before,
I wrote the following command to paint the entire zoom window with white.

Code: Select all

tv_SetApen 255 255 255
tv_SetActiveShape flood mode "color" vector 0 0 0 0 aaliasing 0 map_xbrush off map_ybrush off map_gradient off map_xopacity off map_yopacity off opacity 100 contiguous 1 gap 0 expand 0 range 0 src 0 fill 0 autopickcolor 0 fillinside 0 includelines 0 smooth 0 floodboundary 0 boundqaryexpand 0 boundaryrange 0 
tv_fill 1 1
"fillinside" is the corresponding item.
I have confirmed that there are fillinside param other than tv_SetActiveShape flood.
(My environment is TVPaint 11.0.9 Pro on Windows10.)
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 09:06 I apologize for any uncertain comments.
Parameter of fill_inside can be specified by george.
In the custom panel called "White Stamp" that I uploaded to the Japanese user forum before,
I wrote the following command to paint the entire zoom window with white.

Code: Select all

tv_SetApen 255 255 255
tv_SetActiveShape flood mode "color" vector 0 0 0 0 aaliasing 0 map_xbrush off map_ybrush off map_gradient off map_xopacity off map_yopacity off opacity 100 contiguous 1 gap 0 expand 0 range 0 src 0 fill 0 autopickcolor 0 fillinside 0 includelines 0 smooth 0 floodboundary 0 boundqaryexpand 0 boundaryrange 0 
tv_fill 1 1
"fillinside" is the corresponding item.
I have confirmed that there are fillinside param other than tv_SetActiveShape flood.
(My environment is TVPaint 11.0.9 Pro on Windows10.)
Useful information! Thank you, H.T. :D
sven
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Thanks for the notes :) will be helpful
Nathan
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.