TVPaint is awesome!

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Shanytc

TVPaint is awesome!

Post by Shanytc »

Hey all,

I just moved to ubuntu last week (After terrible hacks on my windows machine) and my first broken heart was that I couldn't use TVPPaint.
But how surprised was I that I found out that you guys released a Linux version! I was happy again that I could play and animate on this awesome sotware!

Once all bugs will be fixed, is TVPaint Linux version license is going to cost the same as the windows version?
Either way, once a linux version is done, I'm going to get a license!

Keep up the good work guys!

Here is a bug/feature in the linux version that i think should be looked in:

When rotating the canvas (the animation disk is shown) and i'm in some angle (let's say 45 degrees), when ever I move my canvas from the navigator (the red box in the navigator) than the coordinates of the screen are flipped,
When i move the red box up, the canvas goes left, when i move the red box down, the canvas goes right, when i move the red box left the canvas goes down and when i move the red box right the screen goes up.

I hope you guys can fix it!
- CEO & Founder at AnimDesk 2D Animation Studio -
idragosani

Re: TVPaint is awesome!

Post by idragosani »

I'm in the same boat, I am fed up with using Windows for art and animation and getting spyware even though I don't use my machine for websurfing . I am going to move to Linux once and for all (I have already migrated my music studio to Linux, with the exception of using Windows 7 to host samples). I love TVPaint and hope the "real" version for Linux will be out before the year is over, especially because it will be 64-bit on Linux!

One question I have -- is Ubuntu 9.10 the only supported version right now? I am probably going to install Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, which is newer than 9.10.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Never mind, it runs just fine on my Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) laptop.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

idragosani wrote:Never mind, it runs just fine on my Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) laptop.
thanks for the test Brett, it's a good news ... :wink:
Shanytc

Post by Shanytc »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I am also running Ubuntu 10.04, and it runs perfect so far!
- CEO & Founder at AnimDesk 2D Animation Studio -
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Welp, a recent storm took out my Windows Vista hard drive, and I've been itching to move my graphics work back to Linux... so happy TV Paint will be on Linux officially soon. It's the one application I would regret having to leave behind (Photoshop, Painter, etc... who cares?). Running Ubuntu Studio 10.04 64-bit so it's mighty sweet running the Linux beta on this platform.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I love the fact that TVP is ahead of its game and has a Linux version, and also that it's 64 bit.
I love Linux as an OS, and as a concept too, for many of its virtues.
But reading your complaints about windows in this thread leave me baffled.
In all the years I have used windows I did not get any virus, trojans, worms or whatever.
Neither any adware and spyware reside in my system, and anyway a simple deep scan rids of any of it.
Windows firewall is enough to block call-outs and a background-running anti-virus catches anything funky that goes in the tubes.
I don't think that in Linux you can disregard such routines either.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

malcooning wrote:I love the fact that TVP is ahead of its game and has a Linux version, and also that it's 64 bit.
I love Linux as an OS, and as a concept too, for many of its virtues.
But reading your complaints about windows in this thread leave me baffled.
In all the years I have used windows I did not get any virus, trojans, worms or whatever.
Neither any adware and spyware reside in my system, and anyway a simple deep scan rids of any of it.
Windows firewall is enough to block call-outs and a background-running anti-virus catches anything funky that goes in the tubes.
I don't think that in Linux you can disregard such routines either.
Yeah, my point exactly... I had to run a scan every few days to clean out my system of little malwares that would get installed via cookies or other little schemes. Most are harmless but still, you have to be vigilant else your machine will become a mess... and runnng a firewall on a workstation is silly if you have a properly setup router with security, NAT, etc. Linux, for the most part, has no issue with viruses and spyware.

Oh, well, don't want to get into an OS war. :-)
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

No war needed. As I wrote, I love Linux, so there's no sides to take :)

My only point was to try to understand how does Linux offer you more protection against the infections mentioned initially. I know Linux is more robust when it comes to attacking your computer from remote. but honestly, how often does this happen? To me it hadn't happened yet, anyway.

I mentioned firewall only as to block call-outs. nothing more. Most basic routers has enough security built-in, as you mentioned.
As for scans, I run a scan probably once in 6 months, at most. As I didn't run a scan in the past 5 months, I ran one right after writing my previous message to see maybe I was wrong about what I wrote, but the scanner found 0 infections.

Furthermore, the little background anti-virus is a basic requirement which should still apply to Linux.