TVPA 9.5.20 does not run on Ubuntu!

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
idragosani

TVPA 9.5.20 does not run on Ubuntu!

Post by idragosani »

Hi --

I installed the new .deb for TVPA Pro on Ubuntu 11.04 (64-bit) and when I try to run I get a blank dialog box and nothing else.

When I first tried to install the .deb, by just clicking on the file in the file manager, GDebi said TVPaint was already installed and wouldn't attempt to upgrade.

So instead I went to the command-line and installed via dpkg -i and it installed fine there. But starting from the start menu or desktop icon gave me the grey dialog box and no project window. I had to do a kill -9 on the process to kill it.

So I uninstalled all TVPA software and re-installed fresh, but I get the same result.

I tried running from the command-line and then I get this:

$ ./tvp-animation-9-pro
UVC Camera (046d:081b)

And again the grey dialog and nothing else. I have to hit Control-C to exit out.

My computer specs:

Ubuntu 11.04 x86-64
Linux serenity 2.6.38-11-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 12 21:17:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
4G of RAM
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz (1024K cache)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Eric Scholl

Re: TVPA 9.5.20 does not run on Ubuntu!

Post by Eric Scholl »

idragosani wrote:When I first tried to install the .deb, by just clicking on the file in the file manager, GDebi said TVPaint was already installed and wouldn't attempt to upgrade.
If I understand, you're talking about the button named "Reinstall" instead of "Upgrade". It's normal, for now, our deb file won't take care of version number.
So if you click on reinstall, it will install the new update. Don't worry, you won't lose your work and your config.
idragosani wrote:I installed the new .deb for TVPA Pro on Ubuntu 11.04 (64-bit) and when I try to run I get a blank dialog box and nothing else.
Is it a small dialog box ?
If it is, try to resize it bigger. There should be a window inside.
It should be the Startup panel, which allow you to reinit your configuration.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Eric Scholl wrote:
idragosani wrote:When I first tried to install the .deb, by just clicking on the file in the file manager, GDebi said TVPaint was already installed and wouldn't attempt to upgrade.
If I understand, you're talking about the button named "Reinstall" instead of "Upgrade". It's normal, for now, our deb file won't take care of version number.
So if you click on reinstall, it will install the new update. Don't worry, you won't lose your work and your config.
idragosani wrote:I installed the new .deb for TVPA Pro on Ubuntu 11.04 (64-bit) and when I try to run I get a blank dialog box and nothing else.
Is it a small dialog box ?
If it is, try to resize it bigger. There should be a window inside.
It should be the Startup panel, which allow you to reinit your configuration.
I tried all manner of installing, that wasn't the issue. Trying to run TVPA after installation gives me a grey dialog box and nothing inside. I removed the installation and re-installed 9.5.18 and it works fine.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Ok, here's the issue (not really an issue, but it was perplexing):

In the previous version, when TVPA started, there was a single startup dialog. Now, when it starts, I get a window that is the same size as before, but completely grey. If you resize it, though, the dialog is there, floating over the background. This is going to be confusing to a lot of people who are expecting the old way the dialog box opened.
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

If you don't want this panel at startup, just inactivate it. Go to "Edit => Preferences => Startup" and choose "Last Project Settings" in the list. Then restart TVPaint and it should be alright.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Eric Scholl wrote:If you don't want this panel at startup, just inactivate it. Go to "Edit => Preferences => Startup" and choose "Last Project Settings" in the list. Then restart TVPaint and it should be alright.
Yes, that's what I ended up doing (have it open a blank template).