Android Tablets

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Fabrice

Android Tablets

Post by Fabrice »

Dear TVPaint forum users,

We are currently making a survey about tablets.

Our questions are simple :

Who has an Android Tablet ?
Which brand of Tablet do you have ? What are its specs (processor, memory, etc ...) ?
Which version of Android do you use ?
Do you have a pressure sensitive stylus ?
Which application are you using for painting ?
Which application are you using for animating ?

important note : We are not interested by iPads at the moment, please avoid to talk about them in this Android dedicated topic. :twisted:
Fabrice Debarge
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Android Tablets

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I have the Kindle-Fire but use it exclusively for reading and e-mail when traveling. I can't see myself ever using a small tablet to draw on.
Last edited by Paul Fierlinger on 02 Apr 2012, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Fabrice wrote: Who has an Android Tablet ?
Which brand of Tablet do you have ? What are its specs (processor, memory, etc ...) ?
It's not exactly a tablet, it's an HTC Inspire, runs Android 2.3.3, 768MB memory
Fabrice wrote: Which version of Android do you use ?
Android 2.3.3, Linux kernel 2.6.35.10, 768MB
Fabrice wrote: Do you have a pressure sensitive stylus ?
Yes
Fabrice wrote: Which application are you using for painting ?
The only one I have used on Android is Fresco. It's fairly typical of painting apps -- brushes, layers, etc
Fabrice wrote: Which application are you using for animating ?
Haven't used any animation apps on Android, I tried a couple but they were pretty crappy, especially after one is used to using TVpaint
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

idragosani wrote: It's not exactly a tablet, it's an HTC Inspire, runs Android 2.3.3, 768MB memory
The HTC Inspire has a real pressure sensitive stylus, are you sure ?
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

- sorry out of topic: I use the iPad2 for drawing and sketching extensively by now. (Drawing Apps: Art Rage, Sketch Book Pro, Wasabi paint, ProCreate, Art Set)
if you want, I can give more specific informations about the drawing behaviors on iPad/mentioned apps.

Post by idragosani »

Hervé wrote:
idragosani wrote: It's not exactly a tablet, it's an HTC Inspire, runs Android 2.3.3, 768MB memory
The HTC Inspire has a real pressure sensitive stylus, are you sure ?
It didn't come with a stylus, it's a 3rd party stylus that I use.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

idragosani wrote: It didn't come with a stylus, it's a 3rd party stylus that I use.
Which one ?
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Hervé wrote:
idragosani wrote: It didn't come with a stylus, it's a 3rd party stylus that I use.
Which one ?
It's a "Pogo" stylus, I got it when I used to have an iPhone and it actually works better on the Android. I don't think it does true pressure sensitivity, not like a Wacom tablet.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

sometimes they just link the speed with the size of the tool. It gives a pressure sensitivity illusion.
Fabrice Debarge
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Fabrice wrote:sometimes they just link the speed with the size of the tool. It gives a pressure sensitivity illusion.
Yeah, I think that's what it is really doing. Do bigger tablets like Kindle Fire or Samsung tablet support real pressure sensitivity?
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

Nothing more ?
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Samsung galaxy note. 1.4 ghz dual core. 1gb ram
Which version of Android do you use ?
2.6.3 hoping for a ics upgrade soon
Do you have a pressure sensitive stylus ?
Yes
Im using sketchbook mobile.
Have no Animation software
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
mnb123

Post by mnb123 »

specs:
Thinkpad Tablet, NVIDIA Tegra 250 1 GHz, 1024 MB, LPDDR2, NVIDIA GeForce ULP (Tegra 2), 10.1 inch 16:10, 1280x800 pixel, IPS-Panel mit Corning Gorilla Glas, capacitive 6-finger multitouch panel, glossy: yes; n-trig stylus; Android 3.1, update to ics 4.0 coming around may

in short the list off apps i use: quill,sketchbook pro, lecturenotes, drawing pad. and for anim stickdraw.

in long:

i have a thinkpad tablet, it has a pressure sensitive (n-trig) stylus, which makes it unique among the 10.1 size tablets, it has its problems, but it has a fair price at least. among others i bought it to do sketches and line-test quality animations. So far i use quill for b/w sketches (it is vector-based, bit too simple, but very enjoyable), lecturenotes for more advanced sketching (now this app is pressure sensitive too), as it has layers and is pixel-based, among its many features. sketchbook pro would be theoretically the best for sketching, yet it is not as responsive as the above two apps and has no pen-only mode so palm-resting always messes up the lines, hopefully they will do something with this in a new version, but who knows when it comes. so far i did not find other apps that are pressure sensitive, so i don't use others. drawing pad has nice brushes though, so with pressure sensitivity in a future update it could be good.

for animations so far there is not much to use, it is a great disappointment. stickdraw starts to become quite usable, if they add pressure sensitvity it can be good for basic needs, for line-tests definitely. flipu has a nice interface, yet it has no onionskin, so it's useless so far.

all-in-all i would be delighted to see an anim app that is like a stripped-down tvpaint with less configurability, yet with more than one layer (eg 2, one for lines, one for coloring), with some of the more important brushes and an export to the tvp format. a flush-color feature that uses the lines of one layer but does the coloring on another. and onion-skin for pref/next frame.

with ics4 on the way and the campaign of samsung note there might be better pressure sensitive apps on the way. i'm surprised that on the ipad there are some better drawing apps although it does not have a press. sens. stylus. eg. i miss artrage from the android, but still i miss a tvpaint-equivalent the most (now with ubuntu installable on android it may be possible, but it will surely be too slow to use and won't support press. sens.).
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

mnb123 wrote:like a stripped-down tvpaint with less configurability
Why do you only want a striped down TVPaint and not a full option app ?
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
mnb123

Post by mnb123 »

well, a full tvp would be the best, but i wonder how does it perform on todays arms based tablets. also the screen size limits somehow usability. butin any case a tvp for arm/android that can do everything would be the best of course. and maybe in long term it would have great future, with new tegra processors, windows 8 etc.
also android apps are generally cheaper, so probably the price of the android version has to reflect this somehow to be successful.

do you have any plans for tvp on android that you can share with us?