Android Tablets

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Fabrice

Re: Android Tablets

Post by Fabrice »

madsjuul wrote:I think it is first possible to buy 15 august. I have concidert doing this. But I dont think i will do it
before it is possible to use sound on android. When do you expect this to be possible?
I have no idea. Some other developments are more urgent in August, since asked by studios for their feature films.
Fabrice Debarge
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

I have no idea. Some other developments are more urgent in August, since asked by studios for their feature films.
Sounds interesting :-) looking forwars to see(hear) sound on android in a not to far future.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
artfx

Post by artfx »

I think the Samsung 10.1 is out now. I have seen it on websites even here in China. I am really considering getting one. I was unaware of the lack on sound on android though. That would, I guess, make doing lip sync and dialogue scenes somewhat difficult.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
jedah

Post by jedah »

I just bought the Note 10.1 last night and downloaded this app before I went to sleep.

I had a chance to play with this app briefly before I went to sleep, and I like it. Other than TV Paint, I have only had a chance to try Sketchbook Mobile and Photoshop Touch, so I don't have much to compare with yet. First off, I will say the pen input is fantastic on this app. I actually believe that the pen has 1,024 levels of pressure now. I wasn't so sure when using SKM and PST. TV paint responds very well to my input. There is definitely pressure sensitivity on the PS touch, but the pressure sensitivity on TV Paint seems to be more refined. There is also this weird glitch I've run into on PST and SKM where if I try to draw/shade somewhere close to where I already shaded (like a fraction of a millimeter apart), the pen won't register (as if I'm trying to draw in a deselected area): TV Paint did not have this issue.

That said, this is my first time using TV Paint on any platform. I am also not a pro, and my only experience with digital painting is with Photoshop on a Win7 using an Intuos for input. I think there's alot of power in this app, considering it looks like it was taken almost straight out of your PC version (with the toolbars on top). I hope you consider making the buttons bigger in the future. I had a hard time pressing them even when the small pointer below my pen showed I was hitting the right button. I also haven't figured out how to put the drawing area to full screen (it's one big obvious button on SKM and PST). There's alot to learn, so I'll play with this guy for awhile along with a few other apps and come back with my input. But so far, I like what I see. Keep up the awesome work!
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi Jedah,

Welcome in our forums.
I think there's alot of power in this app,
Believe me, there is :-)
Considering it looks like it was taken almost straight out of your PC version (with the toolbars on top).
It is (it's also our interface on Linux and Mac).
All the points you have mentionned need some work, and even more considering that TVPaint can do 2D Animation, Storyboard, FX, etc ...
We are aware of it, and it's gonna take some time. We are more in a "proof of concept" phase actually.

Feel free to talk to your friends and on the web about TVPaint.
Far from being a 5$ app, TVPaint Animation 10 is a 20 years old full Professionnal software used worldwide in big studios.
Our small team need some advertising for its huge work, since we consider all platforms. :wink:
Fabrice Debarge
Twig

Post by Twig »

I'm using this on a Note 10.1". I've had the tablet for a week and after finally finding LayerPaint -- which for $3 is a steal -- I thought that was the best I was going to get for now -- and it's actually really good at what it does... But I was wrong.

TVPaint is incredible! I have yet to hit any road blocks on how I think with this application. Its brush engine is awesome and so are all the tools I've tried so far -- I'm a Painter guy back since it was Fractal.

The fact it has a real desktop interface -- which works fine with a the stylus and its hover state -- is something I hope doesn't change much for the final -- if at all. There are some areas I'm sure you guys are considering that would make it easier for a small touch screen, but the slide out menus on the right and left have really helped. I just don't want it to turn into another touch eccentric PlaySkool looking app that sacrifices screen real-estate for fat fingers.

I have some questions, which hopefully this is a good thread to post in:

+++
Will there be preferences to disable rotation gestures and single touch? On single touch, I like the idea of it being completely off, or even the option of assigning it as an alternative tool that doesn't need the same level of precision; like smudge.

+++
Do you guys offer a cross platform license?

The price point for this application is realistic for what it does, it's just hard to muster spending more on an App than I did on my tablet, when I have a perfectly good Wacom Cintiq hooked up to my MacBook Pro. It would be an easier buy, if I could use it on my workstation and my tablet.

Of course, maybe you guys are charging different for the Android version? :)

+++
I don't know if this is realistic and it's probably rather selfish, but I'm more of an illustrator than animator, so I was wondering if there's any possibility of just a paint package offshoot that has a price that's easier to chew on?

Anyways, thanks for sharing this program with Android! I'm not looking forward to November 1st, because I love drawing on my Note 10.1" and this application is as good as Painter from what I've tried.

Thanks,
Chris
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hi Twig,

Welcome to the TVPaint community forum ! Thank you for your nice feedback about the Android version, we are very glad to know you appreciate it ! :)

I can't answer yet most of your questions, conerning price and cross platform licenses. Wait & enjoy the beta version. The current one will stop in few weeks, but we will surely release another beta version, with bugs fixed and new improvments.

Just an example : we started to work on the Linux version in 2009. We open the first beta public in 2010. We released TVPaint Animation on Linux in 2011. We love to take our time, as you can see :mrgreen:
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

The following is from Pogue's techie page of today's New York Times:

Gadgetwise - The New York Times Blog
August 30, 2012, 1:58 pmComment
A Tablet That Moves Closer to Becoming a Laptop
By GREGORY SCHMIDT
The Archos 101XS tablet features a magnetic keyboard that doubles as a cover.The Archos 101XS tablet features a magnetic keyboard that doubles as a cover.

The French electronics company Archos is hoping to bolster its presence in the United States with a new line of Android tablets that include an integrated keyboard.

Arriving in November, the first offering is the $400 101XS, a 10.1-inch tablet that weighs 21 ounces and is 0.31 inches thick. Two more tablets, a 9.7-inch and an 8-inch, will follow.

The tablet’s innovative feature is the Coverboard, a keyboard that doubles as a cover. Secured to the tablet with magnets, the Coverboard slides off easily. The tablet can then be docked in the Coverboard for typing.

This seems like a great advancement, unless you don’t need to type. Then what do you do with the Coverboard? Unfortunately, it doesn’t secure to the back of the tablet the way it does to the front, which makes it tricky to use, say, when you’re commuting on the subway. You have to find someplace to stash the cover. Once you do, however, the tablet is easy to hold and use.

The tablet is powered by the Android 4.0 operating system, Ice Cream Sandwich, but will be upgradable to Android’s next OS, Jelly Bean. Being an Android device, it comes with the full Google family of services and apps. But sometimes, family members are not on speaking terms. I had problems with several Google apps like Gmail and YouTube.

Included with the tablet is the OfficeSuite Pro 6 app, which allows users to view, edit and share Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. I tried to use the app’s word processor to type this post, but the keyboard was too small for my hands. After spending much time hunting and pecking, I decided to save the file to Google Docs and finish it on my laptop.

Navigating the media center was easy, and the screen’s display was decent, but the sound from the speakers was tinny and small. I’d get better sound if I opened my window and listened to the TV playing in my neighbor’s apartment downstairs.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

and what about this one

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409015,00.asp

it has the same S-Pen input as the galaxy note 10.1
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
Paul Fierlinger

About 5x more expensive but looks promising. One of these days I might allow myself to be lured into testing TVP on a small device but not too small and these new hybrids are enticing. I'll wait for one with two monitors though.
Paul
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Two monitors ?
Maybe the Nintendo DS XL ? :) :)
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Does the Android version of TVPaint recognise and execute .grg (george) scripts? If so, are they loaded using tvpx files?

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Svengali wrote:Does the Android version of TVPaint recognise and execute .grg (george) scripts? If so, are they loaded using tvpx files?

Sven
TVP android handles George scripts the same way as the other OS
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

artfx

Post by artfx »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:About 5x more expensive but looks promising. One of these days I might allow myself to be lured into testing TVP on a small device but not too small and these new hybrids are enticing. I'll wait for one with two monitors though.
The Samsung Series 7 is more of a full fledged computer, like a laptop, than the Android tablets thus being much more expensive. The good news for me is that the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note has the same screen resolution as my current computer (a Macbook Pro) so I won't be missing anything working in TVP on that screen. I can keep all my same setups!
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Paul Fierlinger

So now that you have settled down to concentrate on your own projects out of your home, what is the advantage of the tablet if you have a desktop that does the same only with a larger monitor? Do you get a lot of power outages where you live now?
Paul