Android Tablets

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Twig

Re: Android Tablets

Post by Twig »

Thanks Elodie! :)

Hey Paul,

One thing I personally like about working on my Note 10.1" over working on a desktop with my Wacom Cintiq 12wx, is that it's so light, it's ultra portable and I'm not tethered to a computer.

For drawing out ideas where ever, this Note 10.1" is an excellent tool.

It allows me to work in a similar fashion to how I work on a sketch pad -- but with an 8 hour battery and features I love on desktops; having said that, I still like sketching on my paper pad.

It's not a desktop replacement by any means -- eventually there will be a convergence though -- it's a companion, another tool in my arsenal.

Anyways, I'm so glad to see applications like TVPaint on Android, it really pushes this open platform one giant step in the right direction of becoming a viable platform for content creation.
artfx

Post by artfx »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:So now that you have settled down to concentrate on your own projects out of your home, what is the advantage of the tablet if you have a desktop that does the same only with a larger monitor? Do you get a lot of power outages where you live now?
I haven't had a desktop in almost five years and it never occurred to me that I could get one again since I am settled down. Even so, while I could get one for the home base, I could still see the tablet being great to have if visiting places like this:

...which is a short drive from my home and drawing while I am physically there in the experience. I also like the idea of being able to draw anywhere in the house as opposed to only at my desk.

I've never experienced a power outage here, unlike some countries I have lived in, but as someone else mentioned, there is something about that feeling of sitting with a sketchpad and just drawing (but in TVPAint) and these tablets are so cheap I feel it can't hurt even if I'm wrong.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
j-mation

Post by j-mation »

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and have tested TVPaint for storyboarding and it is amazing. With a frame size of 512x288 pixels at 12 fps it runs at real time even with motion keyframes. The palm rejection is great also. I would like to have access to a pop-up menu when the second stylus button is pressed as this would eliminate clutter on the screen. For a beta this is very stable and I have had no crashes at all mind you I have only been doing basic pencil lines and fx moves. I'll test the camera moves next once I learn how they work. Also I viewed the memory when running the program and I still had 1.5 gig free. :D

info
====
Android Tablet - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Specs - 1.4 quad core, 2 gig memory
Ice cream 4.0.4
Pressure sensitive stylus 1024 levels
Painting apps - s note, sketchbook pro
Animating apps - TVPaint
j-mation

Post by j-mation »

Figured out the camera, it works really well. :D
Twig

Post by Twig »

*OOPS* wrong camera. :o

The Note 10.1" with TVPaint, is basically my Wacom Cintiq and MacBook Pro combined, with a few sacrifices for being so portable. I'm absolutely loving using it to work out some of my illustrations and ideas. My fingers are crossed that I'll able to afford the final of TVPaint, or that I'll have a cross license option. :D

That picture of the bridge is awesome btw!
newsline2011

Post by newsline2011 »

I am planning to get an Asus Transformer Infinity TF700.
There are a few pressure-sensitive styli out there (Pogo, Jot Touch by Adonit, Jaja, Pressurepen), does anybody made any experience with them ? Does any of them work with TV Paint ?
It seems TV Paint is the only android app currently supporting pressure sensitivity, I am trying to find out if there is any stylus out there that works with it.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hi Dietmar, welcome here ! Thank you for joining our community ! I hope the other users could help you better than me. :roll:
Twig

Post by Twig »

newsline2011 wrote:I am planning to get an Asus Transformer Infinity TF700.
There are a few pressure-sensitive styli out there (Pogo, Jot Touch by Adonit, Jaja, Pressurepen), does anybody made any experience with them ? Does any of them work with TV Paint ?
It seems TV Paint is the only android app currently supporting pressure sensitivity, I am trying to find out if there is any stylus out there that works with it.

Hey,

There are quite a few apps outside of TVPaint that support pressure. Not only does Android 4.x have APIs for pen integration, Samsung's original Note sold a ton and they've had a few contest to inspire SPen(Wacom stylus) created apps.

Here's a list of the apps I use that support pressure:
- TVPaint -- absolutely the best
- LayerPaint -- fantastic application that does what's needed right for a puny $3 price.
- Photoshop Touch
- Infinite Paint
- Sketch Book Pro

Adobe Ideas also supports pressure, but I'm still not sure if I want it.

There are quite few more apps I've found, all with varying degrees of support, but most of them I uninstalled. TVPaint and LayerPaint are the only ones that I've found that have desktop level brush engines and they don't limit on canvas size and the number of layers from what I know of.

I have not used any of those styluses, but have looked into them. Just my opinion, but the Jot Touch looks like the best one and it's actually available for purchase.

I'm not a fan of capacitive styluses -- let alone capacitive screens for drawing -- and in order to achieve pressure, they do so in a round about way(sound or bluetooth) with inherent limitations when compared to how a Wacom stylus works.

I went with the Note 10.1" over the 700, because of the Wacom. The sharper screen on the 700 -- which with my eyes I have to lean up a bit closer than normal to see the difference -- wasn't enough to fight my art side, which absolutely wanted the pen; besides, at 150 ppi the Note is also sharp. Just for reference, I own a TFT101 with keyboard dock and my PC is all Asus components -- I work on both Macs and PCs; I'm just saying I'm a huge fan of Asus.

Anyways, with the Note's Wacom you're getting this over the capacitive options:
- 1024 pressure
- absolutely superior tracking and precision over capacitive
- hover state( So rollover states in TVPaint and on the web. )
- smaller -- natural size -- pen that requires no power source other than the screen
- a pen tip, not some fat tip or odd disc-tip that requires a static charge just to register

And since the Wacom is using a superior magnetic tech to track the pen, it can tell the touch to turn off when the stylus is close enough to the screen; TVPaint and LayerPaint account for this, so I can wrest my hand on the screen as I draw.

Rambles...
jedah

Post by jedah »

Twig wrote:
newsline2011 wrote:I am planning to get an Asus Transformer Infinity TF700.

Hey,

There are quite a few apps outside of TVPaint that support pressure. Not only does Android 4.x have APIs for pen integration, Samsung's original Note sold a ton and they've had a few contest to inspire SPen(Wacom stylus) created apps.

Here's a list of the apps I use that support pressure:
- TVPaint -- absolutely the best
- LayerPaint -- fantastic application that does what's needed right for a puny $3 price.
- Photoshop Touch
- Infinite Paint
- Sketch Book Pro

I went with the Note 10.1" over the 700, because of the Wacom. The sharper screen on the 700 -- which with my eyes I have to lean up a bit closer than normal to see the difference -- wasn't enough to fight my art side, which absolutely wanted the pen; besides, at 150 ppi the Note is also sharp. Just for reference, I own a TFT101 with keyboard dock and my PC is all Asus components -- I work on both Macs and PCs; I'm just saying I'm a huge fan of Asus.

Anyways, with the Note's Wacom you're getting this over the capacitive options:
- 1024 pressure
- absolutely superior tracking and precision over capacitive
- hover state( So rollover states in TVPaint and on the web. )
- smaller -- natural size -- pen that requires no power source other than the screen
- a pen tip, not some fat tip or odd disc-tip that requires a static charge just to register

And since the Wacom is using a superior magnetic tech to track the pen, it can tell the touch to turn off when the stylus is close enough to the screen; TVPaint and LayerPaint account for this, so I can wrest my hand on the screen as I draw.

Rambles...
I have to second this. I was even thinking of buying an iPad at one point. But, the current styli out there are still leagues behind Wacom on the Note 10.1. As for the benefits of a tablet vs a Cintiq (other than cost): sure, I could get by w/ my laptop and Intuos, but it's not fun trying to fit my laptop and Intuos on some tiny table at a cafe w/ a full cup of coffee next to it.

Thanks for the app suggestions. I've tried PS touch and LayerPaint so far. Didn't know about Infinite Paint. PS Touch is a bit buggy for me; Layer Paint is good though lacking in some features. TV Paint is by far the most powerful. I've been swamped of late, so I haven't really had a chance to put it through its paces yet. But, of what I've tried, it's great so far.

One quick question: Is there a full screen mode? According to the manual, the TV button is the full screen button, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I press it.
artfx

Post by artfx »

I just unboxed my Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note, and I’m writing on it right now! TVPaint installed perfectly and on initial testing it seems to be everything I dreamed of. The functionality is leagues beyond the Motion Computing LE1600 I bought back in 2005. I am relaxing on the sofa in my living room drawing rather than being chained to my desk. It is a different drawing experience than my laptop and Wacom Bamboo, so now all I need to do is practice practice practice!

I think I will start a thread in the gallery to chronicle my tablet progress. I am truly happy. This is something I have dreamed of for ages!
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Miltonc

Post by Miltonc »

Hello friends, this software is great. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, used to think that no applications had better because it was not possible, but with this TVPaint I realize all you can really do with Android.

Recognizing the pressure is very good, one can see many more levels of sensitivity. Although not a software specially designed for digital painting, is a great example of the amazing applications that companies could develop, I hope they do, because we are very limited with this tablet.

TVPaint, the best so far, much better than Sketchbook Pro, much better than the Photoshop Touch, Spen excellent performance, not perfect yet.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Although not a software specially designed for digital painting
:o

it is ... Please remember that TVPaint 1.0 was born in 1991 on Amiga, and it was already one of the very first painting software. (on that time, photoshop was just a photo retouch software without any painting ability ... )
TVPaint Animation becomes then the digital animation software you have on your tablet now.

I admit there is still some work to make it tablet friendly, but you can't say it's not specially designed for digital painting ...
It does much more : Animation, FX, Storyboard, camera moves, etc ... :D

Please take a look at the gallery : http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... allery.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink:
Fabrice Debarge
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Fabrice wrote: it is ... Please remember that TVPaint 1.0 was born in 1991 on Amiga, and it was already one of the very first painting software. (on that time, photoshop was just a photo retouch software without any painting ability ... )
Back then the only good digital painting software was on the Amiga!
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

idragosani wrote:
Fabrice wrote: it is ... Please remember that TVPaint 1.0 was born in 1991 on Amiga, and it was already one of the very first painting software. (on that time, photoshop was just a photo retouch software without any painting ability ... )
Back then the only good digital painting software was on the Amiga!
ah ... good old time :)
Fabrice Debarge
JohnArtbox

Post by JohnArtbox »

Just installed the latest beta onto a Galaxy Note 2. So far Tvpaint works like a dream, it seems significantly more responsive than the old note.. While I wouldn't want to do a commercial project on a smartphone, it does mean I'll always have a sketchbook handy, with all of my favourite features.
Fantastic :)