[Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
thedigitalDog

Re: [Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

Post by thedigitalDog »

hi tvpaint, from switzerland,

this is my first post here, so first of all let me send you all my thanks and praises, tvpaint absolutely rocks, period. i've been using it with manjaro linux for a while now, but also tested it with all kind of *buntu distros, and mac. i love the linux version, it's so fast, stable and has the best drawing engine i know of. now, i've just received a brand new companion hybrid and have played a bit with the android demo, only to discover that i can't map any shortcuts to the express keys. it seems to be related to android in general from what i've read. my question is, will you provide us a way to manage our shortcuts as needed on this device ? i don't know if wacom is working on an api, an app or whatever, but i find it ridiculous to have such a device running such a software without being able to manage both as will or as needed.
anyway, thanks again for your effort in trying to keep tvpaint os free, it really is noteworthy.
all the best.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

will you provide us a way to manage our shortcuts as needed on this device ?
Nice to see someone testing on the Wacom Cintiq Companion platform. :)
The answer is : work in progress.
The biggest issue is that the way to manage it seems hardware dependant.
We will let you know once we have more informations.
Fabrice Debarge
thedigitalDog

Post by thedigitalDog »

hi fabrice,

thank you for the answer. in the meantime, adding a bluetooth keyboard to the CCH will not hurt i guess :mrgreen:
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

thedigitalDog wrote:hi fabrice,

thank you for the answer. in the meantime, adding a bluetooth keyboard to the CCH will not hurt i guess :mrgreen:

Yes, the bluetooth keyboard is highly recommended . I don't have the Wacom Companion, I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 . but adding a Motorola Bluetooth keyboard was a necessity for me to use TVPaint comfortably (or to be able to type an email , etc. ) .
tabletartist4d

Post by tabletartist4d »

I have been using tvpaint for android going on almost a year. I recently upgraded to the new note 2014 and have also experienced scaling issues. Partly this is good because it doesn't feel as cramped and I don't have to scroll down every time I want to change a brush size or opacity. But yes it also makes the interface a bit difficult to use. If it were possible to have maybe three different interface size options that would work, in the case that you weren't able to make it scale automatically. In all honesty I don't want it to scale to the size it normally is as it tends to become cumbersome scrolling thru the brush settings. Another suggestion would be to include brush memory as well as eraser memory. For instance in other art applications when you switch brushes they keep the same settings that were last used whereas now if I were to draw with the chalk at a certain diameter and opacity then switch to another tool and switch back to the chalk, the chalk tool is reset to default and I have to customize it all over again. This takes away substantially from my work flow and would be sort of a deal breaker in the terms productivity.

There is no doubt that this is by far the best art application for android due to its customization options and powerful brush/blending engines. I'm thankful for its existence and will be purchasing it as soon as possible but also please keep the price realistic. I know the full desktop version can be pricey and this is pretty much a direct port but most android users would probably be out off and scoff if the price is too high. I look forward to any future developments and thanks again for your hard work.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

tabletartist4d wrote: Another suggestion would be to include brush memory as well as eraser memory. For instance in other art applications when you switch brushes they keep the same settings that were last used whereas now if I were to draw with the chalk at a certain diameter and opacity then switch to another tool and switch back to the chalk, the chalk tool is reset to default and I have to customize it all over again. This takes away substantially from my work flow and would be sort of a deal breaker in the terms productivity.
I agree that would be a good function (always remember last used size/opacity setting of tool) , but there's something almost like that now .

If you click on the second button in the lower part of the Main Panel (the one immediately to the right of the Skull & Crossbones clear/kill button) you will get a menu of all your previously used tools . Clicking on the previous tool used will bring it back with the settings you had used before (diameter/opacity/etc.)
PreviousTool1.jpg
PreviousTool1.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 60577 times
PreviousTool2.jpg
PreviousTool2.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 60577 times

The other option is to make your own Custom Tool Panel by copying & pasting your most used brushes and erasers to a new tool panel. From Custom Panels select "New Custom Panel" and then when the new blank Custom Panel appears you can right-click on it to Name it (rename it "My Favorite Brushes" or whatever you please ... ) then right-click on the tool you want to have in your new Custom Panel , Copy , and then right-click on the new Custom Panel and Paste. Repeat with all the other tools you want to have in your Custom Panel.
tabletartist4d wrote: There is no doubt that this is by far the best art application for android due to its customization options and powerful brush/blending engines. I'm thankful for its existence and will be purchasing it as soon as possible but also please keep the price realistic. I know the full desktop version can be pricey and this is pretty much a direct port but most android users would probably be put off and scoff if the price is too high. I look forward to any future developments and thanks again for your hard work.
In my opinion TVPaint will never appeal to "most Android users" . TVP is an application targeted towards filmmakers and artists who have Android tablets , but also need a full featured, robust animation production application like they have on their desktop computers , but has the advantage of being portable on the Android tablet when they are traveling or otherwise away from their usual workspace.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Another handy pair of buttons for storing unique brushes with a single click - can be found at the bottom of the Tool Bin panel of custom brushes that comes with TVPaint, in the last section called Your Brushes:
Scroll down to see the two button generator buttons...
Scroll down to see the two button generator buttons...
Tool Bin Your Brushes.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 60567 times
1. the Black and White Arrow button: Captures the current tool with parameters and cutbrush or animbrush into a button and turns the brush-imprint into the button's icon.

2. the Color button: Captures the current tool with parameters and cutbrush or animbrush into a button WITH APen and BPen colors and turns the brush-imprint into that button's icon.

If you edit either of these buttons you will notice they use the Tool Grabber command where you find the following menu choices pictured below:
Tool Grabber.jpg
Tool Grabber.jpg (20.93 KiB) Viewed 60567 times
What many people do is create a new, custom Brush Panel and copy over these two tool-capture buttons. Then each time they want to preserve a new custom brush they really like, they click either of these "arrows" and immortalize the brush inside a new button. :D

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
tabletartist4d

Post by tabletartist4d »

So awesome, thank you both. I guess the brush memory isn't that necessary with these features. I guess I just need to explore more. This is such a powerful option filed application it can be overwhelming but in a good way. Would rather have something with options than something dumbed down. I also agree that this is a niche product but I'm still curious how it will go over on the app store. Been playing with it a bit today it's really unmatched at this point.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

tabletartist4d wrote:So awesome, thank you both. I guess the brush memory isn't that necessary with these features. I guess I just need to explore more. This is such a powerful option filed application it can be overwhelming but in a good way. Would rather have something with options than something dumbed down. I also agree that this is a niche product but I'm still curious how it will go over on the app store. Been playing with it a bit today it's really unmatched at this point.
No app store for sure. Those "store" just steal about 30~35% of the deveveloppers income.
When sold it will be directly on the TVPaint website.
Fabrice Debarge