[Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
mnb123

[Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

Post by mnb123 »

first of all, i have a thinkpad tablet, currently running ics (4.0.3 i think).
on the android tablets thread I was recommended to post my observations about the android open beta somewhere around here so there it is:
"TVP on android is the best that could happen with my thinkpad tablet. Let me stop praising, although it is hard to resist.
Instead, let me make some comments. I have found no thread for beta feedback so I decided to post my comments here, hopefully you can use them to improve the final product:

major:
- pen-only mode on thinkpad ics not working with tvp - i.e. for some reason tvp even in this mode registers touch events
- when pen button held, it should work as the eraser button works on the pc+wacom version of tvp
minor:
- top menu should be collapsible to preserve space
- bottom info bar also should be optional to preserve space
- smoothing option for the pens seems to be missing
- a small toolbar optimized for drawing on touchscreens would come handy, including minimally undo/redo and prev/next/add frame icons
- at startup the screen view option should be restored too - i use 'fit' usually, and now at each startup i have to press it again
(overall, with the pen, the interface is surprisingly usable even on such a limited screen size)

As i final question, do you have any idea about the pricing of the final app?

Thanks for your hard work"
Last edited by mnb123 on 16 Jul 2012, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.
dgrantham

Re: [Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

Post by dgrantham »

I'm taking this to be the place to list Bugs and request features for this great app for the Android.

Been a while since I was the power-Mirage user I once was, but am getting back into it, and this was a great prompt.

I'm using a Galaxy Note (running Gingerbread), which provides the startling opportunity to have TVP in my pocket at all times. Amazing. Stupendous. So I want to contribute to its development with bug reports and kudos:

1) Blanking Screen Problem: after most commands or actions several recnangular zones of - or all of the display -goes blank. The program appears to still be running, and these blank spots will sometimes come back to life if the screen is touched in the blank areas or the stylus is moved from an active to inactive areas, as in drawing or making one's way down a fly-out menu. I don't think it will ever come to life from any sort of touch above the top line of tool icons on the Main Panel once that entire zone has blanked out. Going to Home and back to the program will bring the whole interface back. I find I'm enthusiastic enough to keep using it anyway, which is a sign of the potential here.

2) Pressure-sensitivity implementation seems Perfect: By far the best of any drawing programme available for the Note, and I've tried them all. Most of them jump from 0 to max pressure with almost no intermediary zones, but this one is a delight to use.

3) Unresponsive Controls?: Most of them I've tried seem to work (though I've tested very little,) but Sometimes it's impossible to grab the top boundary to downsize the layer panel (mainly been using View Type 1, don't know about others.) I've been thinking it's a hot zone size problem, but it may be something else as I seem to be able to up-size the panel easily. The same is true for hitting view type buttons (lower left) - sometimes they don't respond at all. They're all just at the threshold of usefulness on the note. Almost too small, but real estate's at a premium and I realize there are a lot of them. The big deal for me is to have this program in my pocket, by the way, so I hope it stays functional on a device of this scale - the biggest phone ever made.

Keep up the good work.
DG
TVPaint10Pro10.5.7-64bit :
-Lenovo ThInkpad P17 Gen2 Xeon W-11955 @2.61Ghz, 64GB, NVidia RTX A5000
-HPZ400, 6GB, NVidia Quadro 2000, Matrox MxO2
-Lenovo Legion Laptop i7700 2.8Ghz GTX1050 16GB
TVPaint Android:
-Galaxy Note 12.1
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for your feedback !

I've just one question for you (and for all the next poster), can you precise your tablet and especially your version of Android please :)
TVPaint Team
dgrantham

Post by dgrantham »

Galaxy Note, Model numberSGH-1717D, android version 2.3.6, Baseband version 1717DTLLA2, Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build Number Gingerbread.207

It could be a virtual memory problem (if this version of the program swaps): There's just 196.8 MiB free in my app storage and 2977 MiB free on my sdCard.
TVPaint Android:
-Galaxy Note 12.1
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request or idea.
What about two finger double tab was undo. Or what about you could customize gestures. And you could customize an action for two finger double tab(click) in each corner of the screen.
-Mads
Last edited by Mads Juul on 06 Aug 2012, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request:
Zoom : fit to camera view.
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
dgrantham

Post by dgrantham »

I find that mapping pressure to gradient (on my gxy note not yet upgraded to ics) results in pressure sensitivity curves which eliminate almost all but the last few % of the gradient from the stroke, at least that's the way it turns out when pressure is also mapped to size. Using the Pencil tool for this.

Also this setting unwantedly appears to map the gradient to the feathering/texturing at the edge of a stroke, giving an unwanted fringe around the stroke.
TVPaint Android:
-Galaxy Note 12.1
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request.
Sound.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request.
Bottom info bar should be optional. To get more space on screen. And to prevent I by accidebt switch room when i rest my hand on tablet while drawing.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request/Idea/thought.
With the upcoming release of the Samsung galaxy note 10.1, Which I consider buying. What about a setting on Android devices with stylus. where I could disable input from the fingers or palm. and only accept input from the stylus in the zoom window I mean in the drawing area? would this be possible. can Android devises tell the difference between a stoke made by the stylus and one made by a finger. And if it is possible to tell the different; I thik it should be possible to disable drawing with fingers.
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request
open .tvpp files in Tvpsint when clicking the file in android file browser.
when clicking a .tvpp fike in the file browser of samsung galaxy note the .tvpp foes not open in Tvpaint. I get the message ICS cannot find the ptogram to open the file.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature request.
I think it should be possible to disable two finger rotation of the zoom window in the options. I find I only want to pinch zoom and two finger scroll the zoom window. and I find the rotation confusing. If I want to rotate the drawing areea I simply rotete the Android device itself.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Feature Request.
Better two finger navigation detection. everytime two fingers is on the device the navigation should be activated. even though one of the fingers have been on the zoom window for a while.
As it is now If I want to scroll or pinch zoom I have to touch with two finger simultanously. that means if i first place one finger and a little after place another finger and then move the fingers I draw I line with the first placed finger. I would like that at any time when two fingers is on the tablet the zoom should be activated. this is the way Auotodesk Sketchbook mobile works, and I think this works better.
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

fishgimp

Post by fishgimp »

firstly just take my money, l can't want to buy this app. thank you for the beta!

l own a Samsung galaxy note 10. 1 with ICS 4. 0. 4 this blows adobe and Autodesk's efforts out of the park, I can't believe how realised the engine is on android . It runs so well on the galaxy note 10.1 that I'm dying to buy the official release! Please don't can it as this is the only properly useful art app for android.

feature requests and comments:

After going through the manual I'm happy with customisability but a slider for tool size adjustment and opacity would be good to streamline the interface more < being able to make it vertical or horizontal would mean we can adjust the size with the free hand easily.

I think the icon size for tools etc. is perfect and takes up very little space on the screen which is great for a screen this size, also the collapsible bins are great. They take a while to open via hovering the pen on the galaxy note though.

- would be REALLY nice to set what the button on a pen does, penabled has 2 side switches and the eraser on the top but I couldn't find how to set them and it would be so useful for eyedropper, undo, scale brush size, opacity etc

It's very useful to have constant easy access to undo and redo on the main tool bar. I made a small toolbar for eyedropper and brush scale but it would be nice to be able to edit the main toolbar too.

- option to disable canvas rotate as it's really unnecessary on a tablet and l keep rotating by accident. Scale canvas would be better as long as palm rejection is recognised? or for example when pen tip is near screen then fingers are ignored, which is the default for the galaxy note 10-1 l believe

- Just wanted to reiterate: the pressure curve with my s-Pen and a Motion computing pen is perfect out of the box. The engine is really responsive when drawing and painting and obliterates all other Android art apps. I could not believe it was possible to put such a high level application on a tablet. Thanks! There's no competition for this app on android.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

fishgimp wrote:... They take a while to open via hovering the pen on the galaxy note though..
swipe along the edge instead of hover, and they will appear instantly (don't have an android, but thats what they do on the pc)

and Team... congrats it looks like TVP is the current worldchampion in android drawing!
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM