[Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Elodie

Re: [Android] Post Bugs/Features Here

Post by Elodie »

Thank you for your kind feedbacks.

The beta version is over, but you can download and use the demo version anyway :)

Concerning prices : stay tuned, you'll know more about it after the CTN Expo !
great_expectations

Post by great_expectations »

I've just tested the demo version and it does not work well on the Galaxy 10.1 (2014). The user interface is much much much too tiny to be usable, because of the higher screen resolution.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sorry to read you don't appreciate the Android version on your Galaxy 10.1.

When you say the demo version does not work well on your android device : do you think only about the UI or is there any other problem ?
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

great_expectations wrote:I've just tested the demo version and it does not work well on the Galaxy 10.1 (2014). The user interface is much much much too tiny to be usable, because of the higher screen resolution.
I can see the display is 2560x1600 px, on the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition . On the Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 the Display is 1280×800 px. So the Icons is going to be half the size. I can imagine this is hard to use.(if usable at all)
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Don't forget it's a C++ program.
We don't use the usual slow Android dev stuffs, like other basic/cheap applications do.

It means :
* faster and more powerful software than others.
* less customizable interface, including the resolution management. (Nothing impossible though, but it requires more development ...)
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

madsjuul wrote:
great_expectations wrote:I've just tested the demo version and it does not work well on the Galaxy 10.1 (2014). The user interface is much much much too tiny to be usable, because of the higher screen resolution.
I can see the display is 2560x1600 px, on the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition . On the Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 the Display is 1280×800 px. So the Icons is going to be half the size. I can imagine this is hard to use.(if usable at all)
Oh, I hadn't considered that . I just assumed the interface could be resized so the icons appear at normal size. I had been thinking about trading up from my 1280 x 800 Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012) to the new high res Galaxy Note 2014 edition , but now I'll hold off on that .

Fabrice mentioned in his post that adding resolution management is not impossible , so hopefully this can be solved in a future update of the Android version of TVpaint.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I've downloaded the new 10.5.3 Android Demo with high hopes for being able to use the RMB switch on the stylus (for erasing) but on my original GNote 10.1, it still defaults to the system screen-crop functionality. Can anyone else confirm this... or am I missing some Configuration setting?

Having an erase mode on the RMB stylus switch in TVP android on the GNote 10.1 would make drawing a lot easier.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Svengali wrote:I've downloaded the new 10.5.3 Android Demo with high hopes for being able to use the RMB switch on the stylus (for erasing) but on my original GNote 10.1, it still defaults to the system screen-crop functionality. Can anyone else confirm this... or am I missing some Configuration setting?

Having an erase mode on the RMB stylus switch in TVP android on the GNote 10.1 would make drawing a lot easier.

Sven
Unfurtunately it is so. I have not found a way to disale the RMB sceeen crop function. So I cannot use the RMB to erase on the galaxy note
:(
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Svengali wrote:I've downloaded the new 10.5.3 Android Demo with high hopes for being able to use the RMB switch on the stylus (for erasing) but on my original GNote 10.1, it still defaults to the system screen-crop functionality. Can anyone else confirm this... or am I missing some Configuration setting?

Sven
yep, it doesn't occur on a Cintiq Companion, but it sounds like we can't change this in the GNote 10.1 :x
We are investigating.
Fabrice Debarge
Twig

Post by Twig »

Fabrice wrote:

Sven
yep, it doesn't occur on a Cintiq Companion, but it sounds like we can't change this in the GNote 10.1 :x
We are investigating.
Artflow on Android uses the S Pen's side button. There's a preference that lets it be assigned to a few presets, like eraser tool, flip layer, and so on. This little app also has an option to assign the volume buttons as undo and redo.
http://artflowstudio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a few apps now that recognize the stylus' side-button and override Samsung's default actions.

I'm happy to have the demo, but bummed that I can't save. :) Anyways, first I'm getting a companion, then this program. Hopefully at the same time.
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Twig wrote: I have a few apps now that recognize the stylus' side-button and override Samsung's default actions.
I just installed artflow on my galaxy note 10.1 to test. And it does NOT override samsungs default settings.
I assigned a color picker to the S-pen button . If i click the button I get the color picker but if i press and hold I get a screenshot.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

The RMB functionality is partially there... I find I can erase tool marks using RMB with single strokes - but RMB scrubbing with overlapping strokes always invokes the default screen-grab function... which can actually be dismissed by pressing the X box it invokes. Surely there must be a flag somewhere that will turn off the default screen grab and if there is, then normal RMB functionality would be there.

With Drying off the single strokes just erase the current tool's marks while with Drying on, all pixels are erases (as you'd normally expect) which proves to me that "most" of the normal RMB functionality is in fact working.

In fact, I also notice that when I use the RMB with just a click, it will activate popup menus as expected. For instance, an RMB click on a button will bring up the menu for edit, Duplicate, Delete Action, Cut, Copy. I can then choose to edit and add the button commands in a normal way. If I click on a panel title, I get the menu which offers This Panel, Editable and All Panels options.

So, some or all of the RMB actions actually do work (thankfully).

Sven

Another issue: The system UNDO ARROW ICON in the lower left corner is a problem for left-handers as it does not palm-reject... I keep invoking the Quit dialog box when drawing - not good.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
great_expectations

Post by great_expectations »

madsjuul wrote:
Precisely. The icons are so small, it's not usable at all.
Fabrice wrote:Don't forget it's a C++ program.
We don't use the usual slow Android dev stuffs, like other basic/cheap applications do.

It means :
* faster and more powerful software than others.
* less customizable interface, including the resolution management. (Nothing impossible though, but it requires more development ...)
I'm a potential buyer of TVPaint but this kind of response doesn't convince me at all. You may sneer at other "basic/cheap applications" but at least those applications can be used. Right now TVPaint on a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) is nothing but a gimmick. "Fast and powerful" are worthless claims, if you cannot actually *use* the application.
animatorius

Post by animatorius »

It's really great animation software.. maybe the first real professional android app.... It has some better draw tools than sketchbookX do... I tried demo on cheapest "no brand" tablet(quad core 7" tablet CPU A31)... and it worked really fast... It was only hard to press license accept button as 7" screen is so small and I managed to do it only in portrait mode.... I also would like to have price/future cut down version whit simple UI for line test... or just to play on 7"tablet.... maybe market is too small for products like that...
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

great_expectations wrote:I'm a potential buyer of TVPaint but this kind of response doesn't convince me at all. You may sneer at other "basic/cheap applications" but at least those applications can be used. Right now TVPaint on a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) is nothing but a gimmick. "Fast and powerful" are worthless claims, if you cannot actually *use* the application.
We are not sneering at the other apps. We know you can't compare a $5 app with TVPaint.

We know the screen resolution problem exists, and we are working to fix it.
The new Note is not the only one, the new 4K screens on desktops have the same problem,
but at least those OSes (windows,linux,macosx) anticipated it and made it easy to just double
transparently the pixels until the app is able to handle it by itself.
Not so on android.

Other programs work because they use android's native java framework.
But that is :
* slow once you have enough buttons to make a 'real world' App.
* it would have required us to rewrite ALL the user interface, which in turn would have :
- been way too long
- been way to expensive for such a small market
- and so, TVPaint would never have existed on tablets.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !