[Android] TVPaint 10 Galaxy Note 2

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
hughdrawsstanding

[Android] TVPaint 10 Galaxy Note 2

Post by hughdrawsstanding »

Hello TVP community
SamsungSketchbook.jpg
I acquired a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 at the beginning of October, and it's probably the greatest gaget I've ever used.
A Cintiq in my pocket is what it is, in addition to my sketch book, I draw something, photograph it and then colour it digitally!

I have been playing around with the TVPaint Android beta over the last week or so, and am blown away!
I hope to add to this thread with my impressions and experiences with the beta.
Ironically the best camera I own is also on the Note 2 so capturing external video might be difficult, but i'll see what I can do.

I am working on a little piece of animation entirely done on the Note 2, which I also hope to post when it's ready.

H
Elodie

Re: [Android] TVPaint 10 Galaxy Note 2

Post by Elodie »

Wow, that's ambitious ! :D

We would really like to see the finalt result : don't hesitate to post it on the forum when you'll finish it !
JohnArtbox

Post by JohnArtbox »

Hi
You can still use video captured by the note2. You just can't use TVP's videocapture interface.
simply record a video clip and then transfer it into an accessable folder.Then use tvp to open the video file onto a layer in your project. I'm still new to my note... you can probably access the Camera folder, I just have no idea of the path. I haven't attempted any animation on the note 2 yet but it makes an awesome sketchpad.
Nice drawings :)
hughdrawsstanding

@Elodie I guess it is ambitious, but it won't be anything too complex. At least at this point anyway. ;)

@JohnArtbox Thanks for the compliment. Re; screen recording... When I said external video recording, I merely meant recording video of my using TVP as one might do to create a tutorial video, but with the device (and my hands) on view also.

I'll just detail some of the issues I have run into so far. Bare in mind that I have no prior knowledge of the Android file systems and that I also haven't used TVP10 desktop version (only 9.5Pro) so I'm not used to the shiny new layouts:

Text input:
When Inputing text or for example typing in a frame number to go to in the animation, the device keyboard comes up, I type the number and then 'Enter' however the keyboard more-often-than-not will not close.
Sometimes rotating the device hides the keyboard and I can conftinue, however most of the time it must be a resolved with a program restart. Which brings me to the next point.

Config saving:
Thus far I have been unabe to work out how to get the android version to save the previously opened config (Custom tool bars, panel layout etc.)
Is there a particular location the config is saved to? Or has it not been fully implemented yet?

EDIT: Ok, turns out I needed to set to 'load last opened project' or 'Last project settings' in the preferences > startup.

Rotation Shifting panels around:
Rotating the device i.e. from landscape to portrait tends to shift panels into the centre of the screen.
It would be good to have a lock to landscape option sometime in the future.

H
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

How would you compare drawing on the galaxy note to drawing on a cintiq or a tablet pc? Does drawing details feel possible?

How responsive is the drawing feedback? Instant or is there some lag?

Is it a drawing experience that you would feel comfortable using every day?

What does the s-pen button do in tvpaing? A right click?

Thanks

Kyler
hughdrawsstanding

Hi Kylerk
How would you compare drawing on the galaxy note to drawing on a cintiq or a tablet pc? Does drawing details feel possible?
Well for starts, I haven't had a huge amount of experience drawing on cintiq's/tablet pc etc.
I suspect the size difference is going to impact productivity which, so I've heard, is the main boon to drawing directly on a screen. It is certainly not going to be a replacement to a heavy use full version of TVP.
But it's perfect if you want to get some blue pencil roughs down, or paint up a background sketch, probably even detailed work like cleanup.
Could also be useful for story boarding on the go, but I'm still testing it's use with the projects panels...

How responsive is the drawing feedback? Instant or is there some lag?
To be honest It's somewhat subjective, and difficult to describe in words.
I have only tested with project size equaling the native screen res, so super large canvases could impact performance...
I find that there is minimal to no lag at all, especially when I'm blue pencil sketching. Of course it largely depends on brush size spacing, texture, etc. much as it does on a normal system.
There is a delay from where the pen touches the screen to where the line is drawn on screen and is larger the faster you draw, but it is a constant rather than intermittent delay.
Overall I would say excellent, the quad core is pulling it's weight.
Is it a drawing experience that you would feel comfortable using every day?
Most certainly, and I'm finding it difficult to resist the urge to play while I'm supposed to be working on other projects!
The toughest thing to get over is the manipulation of tool bars panels and canvas panning/navigation.
You need to have the navigator window open as panning around the canvas, as you would with alt click, is a no go.
What does the s-pen button do in tvpaint? A right click?
S-pen button at this point does nothing in TVPaint as far as I can tell, but it's usual Note 2 function of capture selection to clipboard works as normal.

H
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

Well I will certainly consider this as my next phone. Sounds like a really neat device.