galaxy note 10.1 stylus adjustment

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
tlynx

galaxy note 10.1 stylus adjustment

Post by tlynx »

Hey, this is my first post. I really love everything about your program. Just got a note10.1 and love how much potential this has for creating awesome art and animation. I was just wondering if there was a way to calibrate each brush like you can do with the wacom tablet and painter 12. I tend to like a lighter touch with some brushes and harder with others. Also I noticed that some programs on the tablet allow you to disable hand touches. Is this available?

Other than that I can't stop drawing with your program and will be telling my friends about it for sure.
Paul Fierlinger

Re: galaxy note 10.1 stylus adjustment

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I have never tried the Galaxy note, but the way I refine my lines in TVPaint 10 is to draw with the pen-brush tool. I set the Size anywhere between 1,00 and 2.00 (or higher; more on this later). Power, and Opacity should be 100%, while I leave Drying and AAliasing checked.

The fine tunning is done in the little window with the letter P next to the word Size. Click on it and from the drop down menu select Profile Editor. The Profile Size panel will pop up with a straight red diagonal line. Touch the line near the bottom to create a Key. Touch near the top to create another key. To the left of the panel you will see the word linear. Change it to Spline. Now push your bottom key a bit to the right and the top one to the left, which will create a curve in the shape of the letter S -- this is sometimes referred to as the S-curve.

You should experiment with this curve because there are many things you can do with it to tweak the character of your pen in conjunction with the size of the pen. Pushing the bottom curve to the right will make the pen harder; to the left softer to the touch.

Now try this: It's called, Sven's curve. Start with the default straight line. Take the bottom key and slide it to the top of the graph about 1/4 the length from the top. Very close to the right of that key create a new key and drag it down to the bottom of the graph where the first key used to be. Now create a third key to the right of this one and drag along the bottom, keeping it separate from the 2nd key by about 1/4 of the size of the first graph box (the first of those 4 squares). Now create a fourth key in about the middle of the diagonal line and with your graph set to Spline you will see a shallow kind of S-curve.
Now play with the shape of that S-curve. What Sven's Curve does, is that it enhances the sensitivity of your touch and width of your line; in other words it will let you start with a thin line and it will make your pen more sensitive to pressure to make your line thicker as you press harder.

Don't forget to add your favorite curves in the Bin and also to save each one somewhere on your drive. If you don't try this and report back, I'll kill you. It took me forever to type this out. :|
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
tlynx

Post by tlynx »

I just spent an hour messing with the curves, and i have to say you just increased the value of this program ten fold. I can't wait to try it with other brushes. This has to be the showcase application for the galaxy 10.1. Has there been a forum page where artists can share the pen settings? Might be fun to see what people can come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You are welcome, and yes, there is a place to share these somewhere but I've never been there. When working with a Wacom tablet there's an added component, which is the tablet's additional setting of pressure sensitivity.

BTW, this is why I had to roll my mind's eye when someone complained the other day that the android version is too overloaded with features. Any one of these little features can come in handy for someone.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet