Animation Principles on Rainplace.net

To talk about anything else
D.T. Nethery

Animation Principles on Rainplace.net

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Animator Mike Nguyen has been posting some great tips about animation principles on his blog http://www.rainplace.net/
recently (check the archived posts too) .

Mike is the owner/director of July Films in the L.A. area . July Films is working on completing the independent animated feature "My Little World" .

http://www.julyfilms.com/

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
hisko

Re: Animation Principles on Rainplace.net

Post by hisko »

Thanks, that's a good one.
Does anyone know a good site/book/article about animating realistic eyes?
I have no trouble animating them in full shots, when they are so small that it's easier to give them convincing expressions, but in close ups it's much harder, and I feel I haven't got complete control there.
grumbleboy

Post by grumbleboy »

Someone once told me (or I read somewhere) to remember that the eye is a big ball--we're only seeing that visible slice of it--and to treat the movement of the iris/cornea/pupil as it would act across the surface of a ball. Apparently it helps to pencil in the entire orb to visualize the movement.

Post by Anim8tor Cathy »

This is a great link - thanks for sharing it. I really like his take on animation. Very instructive! :D
hisko

Post by hisko »

grumbleboy wrote:Someone once told me (or I read somewhere) to remember that the eye is a big ball--we're only seeing that visible slice of it--and to treat the movement of the iris/cornea/pupil as it would act across the surface of a ball. Apparently it helps to pencil in the entire orb to visualize the movement.
That's true, but in real life it's even more complicated because the iris is semi-transparent, so the pupil isn't allways in the middle. In animtion that looks pretty weird, so now I just improvise untill it looks good.
But I can't find anything on internet about it, and it is so important for all acting (in realistic close-ups I mean).
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hisko wrote:... Does anyone know a good site/book/article about animating realistic eyes?
I have no trouble animating them in full shots, when they are so small that it's easier to give them convincing expressions, but in close ups it's much harder, and I feel I haven't got complete control there.
not fully answering to your request, but here're some posts from Kevin Koch relative to eye movements,
the 5th post, titled "Flavored Blinks" is quite interesting though.
:)
hisko

Post by hisko »

ZigOtto wrote: not fully answering to your request, but here're some posts from Kevin Koch relative to eye movements,
:)
[/quote]

Thanks a lot, Zig. As soon as I have time I will study it. Looks promising.
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

[/quote]
not fully answering to your request, but here're some posts from Kevin Koch relative to eye movements,
:)[/quote]
I found this link very interesting and useful. He's a real "nuts and bolts" guy.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro