ZigOtto

Fostering Innovation

Post by ZigOtto »

an interesting article from Brad Bird about "innovation" :
http://gigaom.com/2008/04/17/pixars-bra ... nnovation/
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Fostering Innovation

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Excellent article, thanks. "Intensity" is a chapter close to my heart, but all of his thoughts are spot on. I'm going to read it all over again when I have a bit more time.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I agree. The whole article was heartening. I also enjoyed his thoughts on why movie theaters no longer give the wonderful experience they did before. It's odd, I've really been inspired by his thoughts in other articles too even though I didn't like The Iron Giant nor the Simpsons much.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
hisko

Post by hisko »

Sierra K Rose wrote:I've really been inspired by his thoughts in other articles too even though I didn't like The Iron Giant nor the Simpsons much.
I think you should try to see the Iron Giant again, favorably on a big screen together with a child . I saw it for the first time in a cinema together with hundreds of shouting, laughing and crying children. That did it. Although the film is definitely a studiofilm and appears to be a 'conferencetablefilm' (a word I just made up, thinking about Pocahontas, Tarzan etc.) the film has a personal touch.
Maybe it helps if you know that the film is based on a story that Ted Hughes wrote for his children to comfort them after the suicide of their mother.
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

That is so sad, the suicide of a mother.

You know it's not the story. And the Simpsons have some astute political and social commentary that I really like, (I often do hand sewing while my husband enjoys the Simpsons so I hear the sound track). It's the drawing I don't enjoy.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

hisko wrote:
Sierra K Rose wrote:I've really been inspired by his thoughts in other articles too even though I didn't like The Iron Giant nor the Simpsons much.
I think you should try to see the Iron Giant again, favorably on a big screen together with a child . I saw it for the first time in a cinema together with hundreds of shouting, laughing and crying children. That did it. Although the film is definitely a studiofilm and appears to be a 'conferencetablefilm' (a word I just made up, thinking about Pocahontas, Tarzan etc.) the film has a personal touch.
Maybe it helps if you know that the film is based on a story that Ted Hughes wrote for his children to comfort them after the suicide of their mother.
Pete Townshend of The Who also did a concept album called "The Iron Man" (the original title) based on that book.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Sierra K Rose wrote:That is so sad, the suicide of a mother.

You know it's not the story. And the Simpsons have some astute political and social commentary that I really like, (I often do hand sewing while my husband enjoys the Simpsons so I hear the sound track). It's the drawing I don't enjoy.
I personally prefer the older seasons (< Season 10) , the drawing style was rougher and had more life to it, closer to Matt Groening's original "Life in Hell" style. In later years the artwork became slicker and cleaner with some CG (especially in the movie).
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX