10-minute drawing techniques

To talk about anything else
lemec

Post by lemec »

I've started recording and uploading video tutorials to Youtube to explain some of what goes on in my head as I draw.

I've started the series with the most basic of skills and will slowly work up to more and more advanced skills.

1. ImageEpisode 01 - Point To Point -- for those of you who are tired of making messy drawings or painfully etching out lines that wind up being way off course:
  2. ImageEpisode 02 - Field Of Vision -- Debunking conventional perspective drawing techniques that plague so many drawing books...
  3. ImageEpisode 03 - More Perspective Principles -- Some more do's and don'ts and food for fights er, I mean thought...
  4. ImageEpisode 04 - Camera Perspective -- Take control of your field of view and wide angles
  5. ImageEpisode 05 - Camera Perspective - Part Deux -- It was a huge subject... and had to be split up into parts...
  6. ImageEpisode 06 - Camera Perspective - Part Trois -- Catch up on some straggly bits of knowledge to do with perspective from your point of view. Also learn how to apply some of this to drawing forms!
  7. ImageEpisode 07 - SCULPTING -- Lots of little tidbits and techniques to help you in sculpting 3D forms...
Episode Schedule
(subject to change as the series progresses)
  • Episode 08 - Gesture and figure drawing
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

that's great! and the 10 minutes format is a good one...
though I'm waiting your first "10 minutes animating technique"video
to see another interface than the one from Alias ... :P
jezebelus

Post by jezebelus »

Interesting
lemec

Post by lemec »

I've launched a blog which has many more episodes:

http://tenminutedrawing.blogspot.com
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

ZigOtto wrote:that's great! and the 10 minutes format is a good one...
though I'm waiting your first "10 minutes animating technique"video
to see another interface than the one from Alias ... :P

These are very helpful, Lemec. Thanks for posting.

When you are not doing animation, do you prefer to use Sketchbook Pro as in these demos ? Or is it easier to capture live video from Sketchbook Pro than from TVPaint Animation ?

I like Sketchbook Pro and Artrage , but I usually use them only when I'm on the move with my laptop and Intous tablet . When I'm in the studio with my Cintiq I find that my work flow is clearer in my mind if I stick to using one application as much as possible , so I don't get confused with different sets of keyboard shortcuts , etc. My Griffin Powermate and all Cintiq express keys are set up for TVPaint key commands and I find that I have to shift gears mentally to switch over to another app like Sketchbook. (I realize that the Cintiq and Powermate settings can be customized for each different application, and of course Sketchbook has most commands like rotate, resize as pop-ups on screen but again, it's the switching back and forth between apps with different shortcut settings that muddles me... maybe I'm just "slow" that way ).

When I get some time I want to make some tutorial movies showing animation with TVPaint . At the moment work is too busy to have time to "play" like that . (my work is storyboarding and character designing, unfortunately not much animation these days) .

Lemec, I'd love to see you do one of these tutorials with TVPaint Animation, showing how to animate a short scene.
What are you using for the screen capture to make the movie of the tutorial ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Pyu

Post by Pyu »

Woah.

So usefull!

Thank You!