Forum : ideas and improvements

To talk about anything else
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Forum : ideas and improvements

Post by Thierry »

The Vimeo tag is now fixed :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 10:58 The Vimeo tag is now fixed :)
Merci beaucoup !

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

A suggestion for the forum organization of certain important "sticky topics" -

When a new version of TVPaint is released , I think the release announcement should be a new, separate topic for each release , instead of having all new release announcements lumped together in the same topic. The old release announcements of previous versions can be archived so they are still available for reference, but each new release announcement will be it's own topic.

For example , the announcement today of the release of version 11.5.1 says:

TVPaint Animation 11.5.1 is available !

TVPaint_11.5.1_is_available.jpg
TVPaint_11.5.1_is_available.jpg (11.84 KiB) Viewed 43787 times

but when you click on that topic, the first post you see is an old post (from six years ago) about release of version 11.0.1 .
old topic about TVPaint 11.0.1.jpg

You have to scroll down through the topic to find the actual announcement concerning TVPaint 11.5.1 , here : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9058#p124093
Announcement of TVPaint 11.5.1.jpg
Announcement of TVPaint 11.5.1.jpg (49.77 KiB) Viewed 43787 times

Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Oh my GOD, pleeeaaase let that happen!!! Make TVP TVPaint AGAIN!!!
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hmm... I do understand the issue, and in itself, that's a good suggestion.

We keep all changelogs in one post at least since v10 (no idea how it was done with v8/9, as I wasn't part of the team back then :p), and when a new version is released, we edit the topic's title to reflect the new version.
This is useful for us, internally, because we have a list all of changes done available quickly, and it's also easy to send it to people, so they can see everything that has been added: when we are contacted by someone who hasn't used the software in months/years and ask what's new, we can redirect them to the "changelogs" topic, instead of sending them 5-6 different links.

(This is not to say that we won't change this in the future, that was just an explanation on why we're doing this)
but when you click on that topic, the first post you see is an old post (from six years ago) about release of version 11.0.1 .
This is true, however it depends on your forum preferences (last option in this screen);
order.PNG
If you set your forum preferences to display the posts by latest instead of oldest you'll see the 11.5.1 post first, and the 11.5.0 last.

However, regardless of your forum settings, you can easily see the new posts in a topic directly: when a topic has new posts, the lightbulb is orange:
unread.PNG
unread.PNG (86.67 KiB) Viewed 43780 times
You can either click on the lightbulb or on the small paper icon left to the topic name, and it will bring you to the first unread message of the topic.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Ok, I understand. For me it would make the forum more tidy to have each release announcement be a separate topic, but I understand your reason for keeping them together as a convenient change log that can be easily referenced. However, I think a change log maintained on the main TVPaint website or a change log as a separate sticky-topic on the discussion forum would be better . Many softwares provide a change log as a text document -- * WHAT'S NEW? * or * READ ME * -- as part of the download file. That might be worth doing , even if you keep a change log posted on the forum.

----

This is not about forum improvement as such (but is related to the topic of the TVPaint 11.5.1 release) , I don't know where else to put this , so here it is:

There is no more 32-bits version for 11.5 on MacOS , right ? So I think this option should be removed in the download list in the user's account:
no 32-bits version of 11.5.png

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:53Ok, I understand. For me it would make the forum more tidy to have each release announcement be a separate topic, but I understand your reason for keeping them together as a convenient change log that can be easily referenced. However, I think a change log maintained on the main TVPaint website or a change log as a separate sticky-topic on the discussion forum would be better . Many softwares provide a change log as a text document -- * WHAT'S NEW? * or * READ ME * -- as part of the download file. That might be worth doing , even if you keep a change log posted on the forum.
This is actually in the works.
Technically the software can display the changelog, but it's a bit of a pain to make it work, and we haven't used it yet.
For 11.5.2 we'll try to make it work.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:53There is no more 32-bits version for 11.5 on MacOS , right ? So I think this option should be removed in the download list in the user's account:
Also in the works.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Thierry wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:40 We keep all changelogs in one post ...
This is useful for us, internally, because we have a list all of changes done available quickly, and it's also easy to send it to people, so they can see everything that has been added: when we are contacted by someone who hasn't used the software in months/years and ask what's new, we can redirect them to the "changelogs" topic, instead of sending them 5-6 different links.
I'm pretty sure you can have both! why not simply add the new release to the changelogs topic AND in a separate sticky post with ONLY the latest version announcement? call it "Latest version" and edit that with each release

i had the same thing as david...when i click the "whats new in 11.5" post i see 11.0.1
i'm not exactly an average forum user and even i can't be bothered to figure out how to set my presets to change the order of posts!
besides, for my normal forum use i prefer the posts to go down chronologically as that makes the most sense when reading though it.

so, come on guys...
i think this statement is a bit silly:
Thierry wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:40 If you set your forum preferences to display the posts by latest instead of oldest you'll see the 11.5.1 post first, and the 11.5.0 last.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 09:55
Thierry wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 17:40 We keep all changelogs in one post ...
I'm pretty sure you can have both! why not simply add the new release to the changelogs topic AND in a separate sticky post with ONLY the latest version announcement? call it "Latest version" and edit that with each release
Yes, why not both ? Announcement of Latest Release version of TVPaint with list of fixes and new features ... AND each new Announcement is copied & pasted to the Changelog topic on the forum. So the Changelog is always accessible for anyone who needs to reference it , but the Announcement of the Latest Version is a separate , one-post topic, with no confusion about scrolling down through multiple old posts to find the latest post or messing with forum preferences.

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

That's a good idea!
Maybe we'll try that for 11.5.2.
Peter Wassink wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 09:55besides, for my normal forum use i prefer the posts to go down chronologically as that makes the most sense when reading though it.
Oh I agree, reading chronologically is the most logical thing to do, but some prefer the other way.