TVPaint Doesn't Open?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Lunariette

TVPaint Doesn't Open?

Post by Lunariette »

Hello!

I'm having a strange problem: TV Paint is installed, and the Dongle is plugged in and the light on it is on so I'm sure it's working. But when I click the TVPaint icon, it looks like it's loading and then... nothing happens. TVP does not open. I've had it installed since 2017 or 2016 (I don't remember haha!), and I last used it a few months ago on the same computer I'm using now. I'm using Windows 10 and I'm fairly sure nothing on my machine has changed between the last time I used TVP and now.

Obviously I tried restarting, and I also found an old post on the forum about the same problem, where the solution was to delete the config file. I've done this but again it won't start. I tried to run it as administrator. It doesn't work either. I then uninstalled it and installed it again (from the disc). The installation went fine, and I also asked it to "repair" the Sentinel software just in case something is wrong... still nothing. BUT it will run if I boot my laptop in Safe Mode, which isn't ideal at all... I have also posted to a Windows forum hoping that if the problem is my machine I will figure out how to fix it. But I wanted to ask on the TVP forums as well in case this has happened before and people know how to solve it! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance and hope I can get back to using TVPaint soon!!

EDIT 1: Sorry, forgot to add specs information!

OS info: Windows 10, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, my CPU is Intel i7-6700HQ
Software info: TVP 11, Professional Edition (64 bit), and I'm using an Educational license
Other: I'm using a Wacom Intuos tablet but I'm having no problems with it so I don't think any information about it is going to be relevant

EDIT: I'm also looking to see if this is an issue with my computer. I have done an SFC scan and everything looks fine, I also tried the "restore health" command with DISM and that didn't seem to fix the issue either.
Last edited by Lunariette on 07 Feb 2020, 02:14, edited 3 times in total.
slowtiger

Re: TVPaint Doesn't Open?

Post by slowtiger »

Please answer http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167 first, these informations are necessary.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Lunariette

Post by Lunariette »

slowtiger wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 10:12 Please answer http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6167 first, these informations are necessary.
Sorry about that, I've updated the main post with this info. Thanks!
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

So TVPaint doesn't start in Windows 10, but it does start in Safe Mode.

What's different in Safe Mode then ? did you disable the network ? was your antivirus started during Safe Mode ?
Lunariette

Post by Lunariette »

Xavier wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 18:01 So TVPaint doesn't start in Windows 10, but it does start in Safe Mode.

What's different in Safe Mode then ? did you disable the network ? was your antivirus started during Safe Mode ?
The network is disabled in Safe Mode, but not in Diagnostics Startup, but TVP works in both. Just not a normal startup. So the network is not the problem.
Now that you mention it, I tried it without the antivirus and that doesn't change it either (I also tried turning off the firewall).
daninski

Post by daninski »

Maybe try and disable the graphics card? I know tvpaint doesn't use it but that's also something that doesn't get used in safe mode. Might be something weird going on there...
Access the Device Manager in Windows. Click the + or > symbol next to the Display adapters option in the list. Right-click the onboard video card. In the pop-up menu that opens, select the Disable device option.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Lunariette,

If you are using the Wacom driver, could you open the task manager and check if some of the processes linked to the said driver are opened several times?
Apps with names such as "Tablet Service" and a little tablet icon:

Probably a vampire