An Addition To Line Smoothing and/or Guides

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

An Addition To Line Smoothing and/or Guides

Post by D.T. Nethery »

In Autodesk Sketchbook Pro they have a function called "Predictive Stroke".

This Predictive Stroke function is especially useful for drawing freehand Circles/Ovals/Ellipses . Sometimes even when you try to be very accurate drawing a freehand circle or ellipse you will miss connecting the end of the line to the start of the line. With Predictive Stroke it "snaps" the end of your line to the starting point of the line , so you get a more or less perfect freehand ellipse or circle.

This seems to me like it might be related to whatever it is that makes Line Smoothing work ... you can almost do this with the TVPaint Line Smoothing, but current version of Line Smoothing does not have the magnetic "snap to" function where the end of the freehand stroke snaps to the start of the freehand troke. Is something like this possible with TVPaint ?

I emphasize freehand stroke because it is true that we have the ability draw a perfect circle or ellipse with the Ellipse and Circle tools (and Guides) that currently exist in TVPaint , but those ellipses necessarily look mechanical . They are perfect. Sometimes you don't want "too perfect" , but "almost perfect", if that makes sense ? (so it still looks hand drawn , not computer drawn) . Also, the Predictive Stroke works without having to go through steps to open up a Guidelines panel and setting the guide , then draw the ellipse or circle, then close out of the Guidelines panel.

This screen capture video shows the use of the predictive stroke . From 0:00 - 0:20 I draw a series of quick ellipses , some more precise where the ends of the stroke meet , some purposely sloppier. Then I enable Predictive Stroke and draw another series of ellipses . Notice the differences in the precision of the ellipses with Predictive Stroke enabled as the ends of the stroke snap to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqHCK1uKQM

This video from Autodesk goes into much more detail showing the usefulness of this Predictive Stroke tool -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ngo5lSQnVQ

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: An Addition To Line Smoothing and/or Guides

Post by Thierry »

That's clearly not doable in v11.

Maybe in the future though.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Well, I thought maybe ... ?

You can see the Line Smoothing in Average (Points) mode , with Catch Up enabled almost manage to do this . The behavior looks similar , but it's not as precise. It looks like it is trying to "snap" the ends of the stroke together, but it misses more often or if it does snap the ends of the stroke together where the two ends overlap it is not as precise. So I was hoping maybe by adjusting the Line Smoothing "Catch Up" mode it might be able to do something like Sketchbook's Predictive Stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hXjD77EC1I

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
TheQuestionMark

Post by TheQuestionMark »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 15:07 In Autodesk Sketchbook Pro they have a function called "Predictive Stroke".

This Predictive Stroke function is especially useful for drawing freehand Circles/Ovals/Ellipses . Sometimes even when you try to be very accurate drawing a freehand circle or ellipse you will miss connecting the end of the line to the start of the line. With Predictive Stroke it "snaps" the end of your line to the starting point of the line , so you get a more or less perfect freehand ellipse or circle.

This seems to me like it might be related to whatever it is that makes Line Smoothing work ... you can almost do this with the TVPaint Line Smoothing, but current version of Line Smoothing does not have the magnetic "snap to" function where the end of the freehand stroke snaps to the start of the freehand troke. Is something like this possible with TVPaint ?

I emphasize freehand stroke because it is true that we have the ability draw a perfect circle or ellipse with the Ellipse and Circle tools (and Guides) that currently exist in TVPaint , but those ellipses necessarily look mechanical . They are perfect. Sometimes you don't want "too perfect" , but "almost perfect", if that makes sense ? (so it still looks hand drawn , not computer drawn) . Also, the Predictive Stroke works without having to go through steps to open up a Guidelines panel and setting the guide , then draw the ellipse or circle, then close out of the Guidelines panel.

This screen capture video shows the use of the predictive stroke . From 0:00 - 0:20 I draw a series of quick ellipses , some more precise where the ends of the stroke meet , some purposely sloppier. Then I enable Predictive Stroke and draw another series of ellipses . Notice the differences in the precision of the ellipses with Predictive Stroke enabled as the ends of the stroke snap to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqHCK1uKQM

This video from Autodesk goes into much more detail showing the usefulness of this Predictive Stroke tool -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ngo5lSQnVQ

I think you'll like Paintstorm Studio Stabilizer that's combine and with Lazy Nezumi Pro better.

Line width varation and line position variation will give you more feel for your drawings.

I don't think you'll like predictive stroke if you try Paintstorm Studio Stabilizer with Lazy Nezumi Pro.
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)