Constant "Not Responding" CONTINUES... Video Link

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
pixelpusher

Constant "Not Responding" CONTINUES... Video Link

Post by pixelpusher »

With both versions of 11.5 that I've been running, I encounter the relentless "Not Responding" freezes of the software I reported earlier. I did a screen grab recording of this performance problem while exporting a series of PNG files (750 4000 x 3000) showing the problem. Also I see huge memory usage. The final TVPaint file size is for this particular scene 22.3GB and memory usage while running is 95GB. Yes, big files, it is a 4K project.
The machine I'm running on is a 2 x XEON E5 w/256GB of RAM. Solid-state OS system drive and secondary solid-state storage. CPU usage is low during running, rendering, exporting. Rarely above 15%.

Here is a link to the recorded performance, during which you will see it is cycling constantly between running and not responding. I'm running a dual screen so the preview window is outside the zoom recording until later I drag a small window into the zoom screen being recorded. Both Task Manager and Resource Monitor are shown during this activity.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AsPbXe ... sp=sharing

In addition you will see after the completion of writing the files, freezes where TVPaint freezes for very long time before responding to input. This happens during routine work as well. Not just when saving. Also exhibits this characteristic when quitting the application. It might take 30-45 seconds prior to actually quitting. Fortunately it does not crash, that has happened very infrequently so I'm not loosing work, just time.
Thought you would find this interesting, and would love any insights.
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Constant "Not Responding" CONTINUES... Video Link

Post by Dean »

Hello, I see that you are still using a MIR dongle, would you mind sending me your dongle number via PM so I can make you try a dongleless version to see if the problem is mitigated?

Kind regards,
Probably a vampire
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, that's definitely a large file! Larger than anything I ever did in TVP.

I wonder if it makes a difference if you use TIFF files instead of PNG. I've always found that PNG slows down my mac in all applications: TVP, Moho, Photoshop. Maybe you could do a test with just 50 images in each format?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello again, trying Slowtiger's suggestion could give us more clues too!
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

slowtiger wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:17 Well, that's definitely a large file! Larger than anything I ever did in TVP.
Yes, that is quite a large file (23 GB) ! I've worked in TVPaint with 4K resolution projects as large as 12 GB and they start to get rather laggy at that size. Between 6GB - 8GB at 4K have no noticeable lag (or sometimes a bit of lag, especially applying FX). Seems like under 8GB I have no problem, but getting up to 10GB - 12 GB it will tend to lag. I'm on a 6 year old Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM. I could definitely use a newer computer with 32 GB of RAM .
slowtiger wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:17 I wonder if it makes a difference if you use TIFF files instead of PNG. I've always found that PNG slows down my mac in all applications: TVP, Moho, Photoshop. Maybe you could do a test with just 50 images in each format?
I don't doubt your experience, but in theory I would have thought the opposite , because usually TIFF files are larger than PNG files I have tended to use PNGs because they are smaller.

Out of curiosity, I decided to try your suggested test. I found an image sequence of TIFFs on my computer (I believe they originally were output from After Effects. The TIFF files were sent to me by another artist who was working on the same project with me). The TIFFs were between 890 KB - to - 954 KB each. Pixel resolution of 3838 x 3200.
A total of 380 images. Overall size of the data = 344.8 MB

I converted the TIFF images to PNG. Same pixel resolution of 3838 x 3200. The PNGs are between 249 KB - to - 260 KB . Overall size of the data = 106.4 MB

The PNGs are less than 1/3rd the size of the TIFFs, so the assumption would be that TVPaint has less data to process using the PNGs.

I imported both the TIFFs and PNGs into TVPaint , as separate project files. In practice , I did not notice any difference in performance . The playback was the same , scrubbing through the images on the timeline frame-by-frame was the same. No noticeable difference in image quality.

What's interesting is that after I had imported the TIFFs and PNG's to TVPaint I saved both projects and looked at the size of the .tvpp files. The project that originated from the PNGs was 71.3 MB and the project that originated from the TIFFs was 71.3 MB . So apparently the .tvpp compression made them both the exact same file size, even though the original TIFF files were over 3x as large as the original PNG files.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I don't bother their file size on disk, I just suspected that encoding/decoding a PNG was harder work than other file formats.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5