WIBU vs USB dongle question

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Holger

WIBU vs USB dongle question

Post by Holger »

I know how TVP works with a USB dongle. I just heard that TVP now sells with WIBU. I'm trying to learn a bit more about how WIBU works to advise somebody who is considering buying a new TVP Pro license. What are the system requirements to use TVP with WIBU? Does WIBU require being connected to the internet fduring work in TVP? What could be a reason to buy a USB dongle (for an additional 75 EUR). Any info much apprectiated. Also about any question I did not think to ask. Thanks.
Mac mini
Intel Core i7
3 GHz
16 GB
TVPaint 11.0.10 pro (mac-64)
D.T. Nethery

Re: WIBU vs USB dongle question

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I have a WIBU license.
What are the system requirements to use TVP with WIBU?
I don't know of any special system requirements for WIBU . No one from TVPaint ever mentioned any special system requirements when I switched over to WIBU. I'm running TVPaint 11.5.3 on a 2013 Macbook running Mac OS 10.14 Mojave. I think the only system requirements are the same system requirements for running TVPaint 11.5 : it needs to run on Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan or higher and have a minimum of 4GB of RAM .
Does WIBU require being connected to the internet during work in TVP?
No. (I actually never thought about it before , so I just tested it by disconnecting my computer from the internet . TVPaint continued to function normally).

What could be a reason to buy a USB dongle (for an additional 75 EUR)
I don't know of any reason why you would also need the USB dongle if you have the WIBU license. WIBU allows you to transfer your license to a different computer just like you could transfer your license by plugging in the dongle to another computer . (rehosting the license to a new computer does require a internet connection while you're doing the rehosting on the license depot.)

This recent video includes a section on installing the WIBU license and rehosting the license. Important to follow each step in the video to properly install the WIBU CMContainer license and host the license on your computer through the license depot link (TVPaint will send you the license depot link when you switch to WIBU).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjaiYmyVt2c

Same as the instructions in the User Guide in the section Download and Install:

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... u-glossary
TVPaint Download and Install_user_guide.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Holger

Post by Holger »

Thank you David for taking the time, the information and links. I will pass it on.
Mac mini
Intel Core i7
3 GHz
16 GB
TVPaint 11.0.10 pro (mac-64)
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

I liked usb dongle much more than wibu. I already had few times contacted support for technical reasons as wibu stooped working.(but it might be my problem as I am working whit many programs... And some conflicting whit wibu for now.) The biggest problem is what usb could be lost and not very useful then you traveling, also old dongle didn't worked whit new Mac os versions.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Honestly, I never minded using the dongle , although I know some people hated it. I would constantly get complaints from students who did not want to have to keep track of a dongle. Of course, there was the possibility of losing the dongle , but I always treated my dongle the same as I treat my car keys or my wallet. I never had any trouble with misplacing it.

For Macbook users we have less USB ports now than in the past so it has become somewhat of a nuisance to use any sort of USB stick (such as receivers for a wireless keyboard or wireless headphones) , plus external hard drives, in addition to the TVPaint dongle. I've used a seven-port USB hub and even then I sometimes ran out of ports and would have to unmount one of my external drives to be able to free up that port. Now for Mac users the dongle is not an option at all because Safenet has ceased to continue updating their Sentinel drivers to work with MacOS Big Sur and Monterey.

So I'm happy to bid a fond farewell to the dongle for TVPaint, although it never really bothered me to use it.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1