Video comparing CLip Studio, TvPaint and Photoshop

To talk about anything else
BinaryD00D

Video comparing CLip Studio, TvPaint and Photoshop

Post by BinaryD00D »

Hello there, I made a video painting the same image on these 3 different software.

TvPaint part starts at about 4:07. I would like to know if any of you had some of the same "problems" I have. Still my favorite of the bunch, just wanted to know the consensus. If you have trouble understanding what I say, I can clarify in here.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Video comparing CLip Studio, TvPaint and Photoshop

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Good video with some excellent points about the strengths and weaknesses of different programs. I'm glad to see someone showing how TVPaint can be used for painting and illustration work. Many people I know who use TVPaint for animation will still default to using Photoshop or ProCreate for design work and painting backgrounds, etc. I also prefer TVPaint over Photoshop for almost everything (except editing photos).

I think your point about the color range limitation of TVPaint is fair , but unfortunately that won't change until the Next Gen version of TVPaint is released. The current TVPaint engine is limited to 8bit color mode , whereas Photoshop can work in 8bit, 16bit , and 32bit color mode. Some people have had some success mimicking certain Photoshop brushes in TVPaint , but it's a bit complicated and there is no way in the current TVPaint engine to directly import Photoshop .abr brush files into TVPaint like in Clip Studio Paint or Krita (although as you note, importing .abr brush files into Clip Studio Paint doesn't always guarantee that those brushes will behave exactly the same in CSP as in Photoshop.)

There's a bit of information about recreating Photoshop brushes in the TVPaint User Guide, but it needs to be expanded with more detailed instructions and specific examples, imo.
https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ps-brushes

It's pretty easy to move PSD files into TVPaint , but the drawback is if the layers in the PSD file have specific Photoshop filters or proprietary Photoshop blend modes they won't alway show up properly in TVPaint.

I don't remember if you mentioned it in the video, but you can go fullscreen and hide everything in TVPaint except the canvas and the upper level tool bar across the top of the interface by assigning a keyboard shortcut to Close/Restore L+R Drawers and Timeline in the Keyboard Shortcuts list. (I use the J key for this , but you can use any key you prefer) . If you only want to hide the timeline use keyboard shortcut 0 .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
BinaryD00D

Re: Video comparing CLip Studio, TvPaint and Photoshop

Post by BinaryD00D »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 22:23 Good video with some excellent points about the strengths and weaknesses of different programs. I'm glad to see someone showing how TVPaint can be used for painting and illustration work. Many people I know who use TVPaint for animation will still default to using Photoshop or ProCreate for design work and painting backgrounds, etc. I also prefer TVPaint over Photoshop for almost everything (except editing photos).

I think your point about the color range limitation of TVPaint is fair , but unfortunately that won't change until the Next Gen version of TVPaint is released. The current TVPaint engine is limited to 8bit color mode , whereas Photoshop can work in 8bit, 16bit , and 32bit color mode. Some people have had some success mimicking certain Photoshop brushes in TVPaint , but it's a bit complicated and there is no way in the current TVPaint engine to directly import Photoshop .abr brush files into TVPaint like in Clip Studio Paint or Krita (although as you note, importing .abr brush files into Clip Studio Paint doesn't always guarantee that those brushes will behave exactly the same in CSP as in Photoshop.)

There's a bit of information about recreating Photoshop brushes in the TVPaint User Guide, but it needs to be expanded with more detailed instructions and specific examples, imo.
https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ps-brushes

It's pretty easy to move PSD files into TVPaint , but the drawback is if the layers in the PSD file have specific Photoshop filters or proprietary Photoshop blend modes they won't alway show up properly in TVPaint.

I don't remember if you mentioned it in the video, but you can go fullscreen and hide everything in TVPaint except the canvas and the upper level tool bar across the top of the interface by assigning a keyboard shortcut to Close/Restore L+R Drawers and Timeline in the Keyboard Shortcuts list. (I use the J key for this , but you can use any key you prefer) . If you only want to hide the timeline use keyboard shortcut 0 .
Saw your comment! Should I make another video on TVP I'll definetly adress that. Thank you, once again, for the insight :)