How to properly update TVPaint on MacOS

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
it_ross

How to properly update TVPaint on MacOS

Post by it_ross »

Hi,

I am trying to update TVPaint Animation 11.5 Pro on my Mac running MacOS Monterey, and I would like to know the proper procedure for updating the software. I have been directed to update because my version of TVPaint no longer works now that I have upgraded to Monterey.

However, since downloading the new update, after dragging the new TVPaint application to my applications folder, my computer warns me that there is already a program of the same name there. This leads me to believe that I need to completely delete the original application before installing the new one. I want to confirm that this is correct, and also ask if there are any auxiliary files on my computer besides the application itself that also need to be deleted in order to fully uninstall TVPaint.

Lastly, I am concerned that deleting TVPaint will also erase all of my preferences within the software. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thank you!
slowtiger

Re: How to properly update TVPaint on MacOS

Post by slowtiger »

You can always keep different versions, if they have the same name, just rename the old one.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I have several iterations of TVPaint running on my computer. (10.5.7 , 11.0.8 , 11.5.3 ) Just make a separate folder for each one in your Applications folder. Install the new version in a new folder. Let's say you have version 11.5.2 installed now and want to keep it ... just make a new folder in Applications called TVPaint 11.5.3 to download and install the new version 11.5.3.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
it_ross

Post by it_ross »

These suggestions are very helpful! Though I still do wonder if there is any way to propagate my preferences and settings to the newer versions of the software. When I upgraded to Monterey from Big Sur, I was no longer able to launch TVPaint, hence my inquiry on how to properly update the software. If I'm not able to simply "update" the previous version to the new version but rather have to install a totally new version and set the old one aside entirely, it seems that my preferences and settings are lost for good and will have to be reconfigured manually. :(
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Hi,

Preferences and settings are stored in another folder, so you they should automatically be detected by the updated TVPaint version :-)

Exporting custom settings is however necessary if your upgrade a Standard Edition license to a Professional Edition one (this page of our online documentation explains how to export those settings).
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

it_ross wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 17:43 These suggestions are very helpful! Though I still do wonder if there is any way to propagate my preferences and settings to the newer versions of the software. When I upgraded to Monterey from Big Sur, I was no longer able to launch TVPaint, hence my inquiry on how to properly update the software. If I'm not able to simply "update" the previous version to the new version but rather have to install a totally new version and set the old one aside entirely, it seems that my preferences and settings are lost for good and will have to be reconfigured manually. :(
Open the finder, go to your user library (~/Library) and make a backup of your setting folder ("tvp animation 11 pro" I guess).
That should be fine ;)

Nothing prevents you to rename TVPaint in the Applications directory. As for me I have many builds together in Applications, without issues.