Want to move all layers and instances with transform tool only

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Hironori Takagi

Want to move all layers and instances with transform tool only

Post by Hironori Takagi »

I have been asked several times by Japanese animators, "Is there an easy way to move all layers and instances together?"
The simple idea is to use the key framer FX, but Japanese animators only do the drawing work, so they don't usually use FX.
So I wanted to tell the staff how to move all instances of all layers with only the transform tool, but I noticed a problem.

・"Apply: all layers" affects the length of the top layer
q104.jpg
Is this specification changeable?
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Joost

Re: Want to move all layers and instances with transform tool only

Post by Joost »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 08:13 I have been asked several times by Japanese animators, "Is there an easy way to move all layers and instances together?"
The simple idea is to use the key framer FX, but Japanese animators only do the drawing work, so they don't usually use FX.
So I wanted to tell the staff how to move all instances of all layers with only the transform tool, but I noticed a problem.

q104.jpg

Is this specification changeable?

I would love it if we will get the option one day to move all (selected) layers and instances together, only using the transfrom tool without having to use the FX stack...
Moving multiple layers like you can do it in photoshop. That would be my biggest request of all time :)
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 08:13 I have been asked several times by Japanese animators, "Is there an easy way to move all layers and instances together?"

I have also noticed the layer's differing lengths causing a problem when using Transform Tool to Apply To All Layers or Apply to Selected Layers. I hope this can be fixed.

Joost wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 08:20 I would love it if we will get the option one day to move all (selected) layers and instances together, only using the transfrom tool without having to use the FX stack...
Moving multiple layers like you can do it in photoshop. That would be my biggest request of all time :)

I agree, Photoshop's way of moving all selected layers with the Transform Tool is better. In TVPaint it is a disadvantage to not be able to see the position of all the transformed layers before hitting Apply.

https://youtu.be/F86lc-qErHk

(to watch the video in full screen mode you must click through to watch it on YouTube,
because full screen mode is disabled here.)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Edited this post because the post contained mistaken information about the Transform and Perspective Tool, so my post is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

The one relevant bit from my previous post is that it would be a major improvement if TVPaint's Transform Tool (equivalent to Free Transform in PS) and Perspective Tool (equivalent to Distort in PS) would behave like Photoshop's versions of these tools in that if you select multiple layers you can see a Preview of the Transformation (scale, rotate, move) or Distort on all the Selected Layers before applying it , whereas with TVPaint you can only see the preview of the Transformation or Perspective (Distort) tool on one layer before it is applied to All Layers.
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 08 Jan 2023, 20:28, edited 3 times in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

I love this idea. I hope there's a way to implement it

+1
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

There is a way... but its quirky and a bit counter intuitive (its the way i always do it)
#Simpel Workaround Tip for moving all layers together...:

If you need to reposition all layers simultaneously in the same manner..
use the crop tool and set your new position using it, then after you apply the crop you have an identical project with all the old layers ...but in their new (x,y) position

you can also use this method to scale all layers together by enlarging the cropsize and then after cropping modifying the project size back to the original.
To be clear... this is not to take away from the original request, it support any way this can be improved and made more logic.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

I agree that among the options we should have both "current image" and "all instances" and "selected range", aside "current layer", "selected layer" etc.

Also would be nice if in selected layer mode, we could still transform current layer without selecting it (it could be the default mode that way).
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

Peter Wassink wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 20:42 There is a way... but its quirky and a bit counter intuitive (its the way i always do it)
#Simpel Workaround Tip for moving all layers together...:

If you need to reposition all layers simultaneously in the same manner..
use the crop tool and set your new position using it, then after you apply the crop you have an identical project with all the old layers ...but in their new (x,y) position

you can also use this method to scale all layers together by enlarging the cropsize and then after cropping modifying the project size back to the original.
To be clear... this is not to take away from the original request, it support any way this can be improved and made more logic.

Thanks Peter,
this workaround saved me a lot of time!