Standardised Drawing Application Functions

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
cf-mankit

Standardised Drawing Application Functions

Post by cf-mankit »

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if there are scripts or fx stacks that achieve the following functions,
but either how it would be great if we can work towards them one day as native functions.

Mainly the concept is to just align more with standard functions in other drawing applications that we use in our workflow to offer a more
streamlined muscle memory working environment when jumping across applications as many of us do!

I think it doesn't detract from the uniqueness of TV Paint but a quality of life that allows us to mentally jump from place to place.

Thank you again for your hard work as always.

---

1. Hidden Canvas Area with no Data Loss

Would be great to have our assets not be lost when moved off the canvas with the transform tool.

2. Grouping and Naming of Layers

Which would eventually lead to the ability to transform all assets within grouped layers or multiple selection of layers.

3. Grid Lines in Primary Interface

Would be great to have x / y rulers and be able to drag grid lines from them on the primary interface, with toggle for the rulers themselves and gridlines

4. Being able to set a project defining Camera area with Bleed area i.e. 16x9 ratio box ( export area ) within an A4 canvas without using the Project with Camera
Peter Wassink

Re: Standardised Drawing Application Functions

Post by Peter Wassink »

Its always good to see suggestions, its a positive sign of investment in the software.
Let me quickly respond

1) this is hard to do on TVP's limitless timeline... how do you suggest we keep track of all the offscreen assets for each frame?
one work-around i use is to set the panning tool to fill, that way you don't loose anything. all excess pixel simply pop-up on the other side...
then when in the last stage of your project you are sure of the position you can cut away the acces imagery
from the opposite screenside

2) this must be the number one feature request.
unfortunately the current engine doesn't support this. The TVP people are working on a new engine that will allow grouping layers into folders but it will take time.
workaround: by using groups you can do many things that you would otherwise use a folder for,
like grouping or applying tools or effect to multiple layers at once.

3) This is a feature that could possibly be added to the guideline panel, but it would not add too much in my opinion.
i think that panel is already pretty complete (though admittedly not perfect) but you can already put multiple guidelines like the vertical and horizontal ones you ask for.

4) This one i don't understand, you can already do this. So what is it you are asking for precisely, why do you not want to do it with the camera?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Re: Standardised Drawing Application Functions

Post by D.T. Nethery »

cf-mankit wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 05:53 4. Being able to set a project defining Camera area with Bleed area i.e. 16x9 ratio box ( export area ) within an A4 canvas without using the Project with Camera
Peter Wassink wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:03 4) This one i don't understand, you can already do this. So what is it you are asking for precisely, why do you not want to do it with the camera?
I wonder if cf-mankit is asking for this feature with reference to TVPaint Standard Edition, which does not have the Camera Tool like the Pro Edition ? Otherwise, the Camera Tool works perfectly for the task described.

Using Project With Camera View is also a sort of workaround for the first request: by setting an oversize project size with Camera View so there is a 200% (or more) border area outside of the Camera View window), which allows objects to be moved around outside the Camera View area and parts of the object will not be permanently cropped by the edge of the canvas if the object is moved outside the edge of the Camera View (so the intact object can easily be moved back inside the Camera area with nothing lost) .

TVPaint_Camera_View_Canvas_Size.png

I think it is a reasonable request to add what he is suggesting to TVPaint Standard Edition. It would still mean that the full Camera Tool remains a "PRO" feature, but the Standard Edition would allow users to define a work area (1920 x 1080) inside of an overscale project/canvas area , and upon exporting only what is drawn within the work area will be exported.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1