Brush is lagging when camera is turned on in a view finder

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Agneta

Brush is lagging when camera is turned on in a view finder

Post by Agneta »

Hello,

my brush (stroke) is lagging, when camera view is turned on in a display settings. (In View finder) Firstly I thought it was due to higher resolution (when animating whith camera on 200 %, 4k) but the same thing is hapening in 1080x1920 as well. - as soon as camera is not activated in the display settings- the brush is not lagging. The „lagging“ is especially visible while drawing ellipses and other round shapes, or drawing quicker strokes. It makes…straight lines instead of curved and with a bit of delay- in other words, it is impossible to work this way.

Is there any solution to this? Does anyone have the same problem?

I am working with cintiq Pro, 24“
iMacPro 2017
Operational System: macOS Monterey 12.4
Ram:64
Graphic Card: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 Gb
TVPaint version: TV Paint Animation 11 Pro WIBU(11.5.3-64 bits)
Matthieu
Site Admin

Re: Brush is lagging when camera is turned on in a view finder

Post by Matthieu »

Are you using a custom brush? If so, would it be possible to share it here so I can run some tests? If you prefer to share it privately, please contact us here.

Could you also please try to turn low resolution mode on for TVPaint? Here is how to do it on macOS Monterey:
  • Close TVPaint
  • Access your "Applications" folder
  • Right click on TVPaint and select "Show Package Contents"
  • Access the "Contents" folder
  • Open the "Info.plist" file you will find here with "TextEdit"
  • Right before the last "</dict>" tag, add the following line (without the quotation marks) and save the file: "<key><NSHighResolutionCapable></key><false/>"
  • Open TVPaint again
Please let us know if it changes anything!
Agneta

Post by Agneta »

Dear Matthieu,

thank You very much for your reply!
I wasn't using a custom Brush, just a pencil or pen from a main tool panel (without Step, angle or gradient).

Your solution with the lower resolution of TVPaint have helped, thank you!!! I've stumbled upon this suggestion in previous topics, but the others were mentioning, that one should achieve that through right click on the Icon-information and tick the "open in low resolution" in the popup window, but I didn't have this option, only the options
"deactivate app nap" and "locked" (not sure if I translated it correctly, I have a german OS). But it worked with the Text editor, thanks!

just one more question- there is a new update for Monterey to Ventura 13.0. As far as I understand, it is advisable to postpone the update as long as possible, right?

Kind regards,
Agneta
Matthieu
Site Admin

Post by Matthieu »

Dear Agneta,

Thank you very much for keeping me posted! I am glad that low resolution mode did the trick :-)

Regarding the pop-up window you are referring to: the low resolution mode checkbox was removed from this window starting with macOS Monterey, hence why you had to activate it using another method.
just one more question- there is a new update for Monterey to Ventura 13.0. As far as I understand, it is advisable to postpone the update as long as possible, right?
Yes, we always recommend users to wait a bit before updating macOS to the newest version. TVPaint seems to work fine with Ventura but I would still advise postponing the update if it's possible for you to do so!