Is there a way to save color groups as default?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Joost

Is there a way to save color groups as default?

Post by Joost »

Hi!

I would like to change some of the colours of the "colour groups". I already addressed once before that this is a bit of a hassle, but that's not my question now.
Is there a simple way to make the new colour groups I have created the "default groups"? Now I have to import my new settings every time I open a new project! (And I have a lot of new projects since I always make a new project for each shot...)

Thanks!
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to save color groups as default?

Post by Dean »

Hello Joost, this option is not available. Since each projet can have its own set of color groups, this might create conflicts when loading .tvpp files from other users.
It can still be discussed with the dev team if there is demand for it.
Probably a vampire
Joost

Post by Joost »

Dean wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 09:10 Hello Joost, this option is not available. Since each projet can have its own set of color groups, this might create conflicts when loading .tvpp files from other users.
Thanks for your reply!

I don't understand why this decision was made to not be able to reset to a saved/chosen default.
Since changing is such a hassle, that I don't expect anybody to use different groups for different projects.
My main issue is that in the TVPaint defaults the two shades of blue are too close to each other. I use these blues a lot, but the difference is so small, that I can only use one of them per project. What I did, it change them. But now I have to import this preset every time I open a new project. And that's not worth the time...

I don't know. But I think there should be an easy solution possible which offers the best of both worlds (solving my issue and still be able to change the groups to your own preference by default)
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Why don't you just create two short GEORGE scripts to save and load custom layer rgb color assignments to/from a file or series of files?

tv_layercolor command set seems tailor-made for what you want to do. The command set can also be used to show/hide, select, deselect by color groups as well.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Joost

Post by Joost »

Svengali wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 11:58 Why don't you just create two short GEORGE scripts to save and load custom layer rgb color assignments to/from a file or series of files?

tv_layercolor command set seems tailor-made for what you want to do. The command set can also be used to show/hide, select, deselect by color groups as well.

sven
Sounds great! although I really don't know how to do this... 😭
I'm just an animator you know :D
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

you can have a look at this thread for hints on how to read/write the colors of all the layers, then store and retrieve the r g b values in the config.ini file.

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Joost

Post by Joost »

Thanks Sven I will check it out. Although I have to say that programming is really not my cup of tea...

I would love it if the TVPaint team could take another look at this issue. I think with some simple tweaks it could be improved a lot.

Thanks!
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Dean wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 09:10 Hello Joost, this option is not available. Since each projet can have its own set of color groups, this might create conflicts when loading .tvpp files from other users.
yes i also prefer an option to keep any custom color groups
could not this conflict be set in the preferences.

a setting like: keep custom colorgroups / use customcolorgroup colors from file?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM