Fixed Shortcut flexibility, UI, and more!

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Title In Large

Fixed Shortcut flexibility, UI, and more!

Post by Title In Large »

Hi TV Paint crew and all who use it! :D
Firstly, TV Paint 11.5 is superb. But rather than have a little addition to contribute as an idea, I would like to share more, and elaborate on why that is.

Keystrokes and shortcuts functionality:
- When using a Huion tablet (I'm guessing also non-wacom braned drivers), when you hold the right mouse button on the stylus, you come within range of the screen with the nib and the functionality for the potential mouse clicks kicks in. This allows the use of a macrokeyboard which can use a button as a right-mouse button, allowing for the pens to glide across screen and execute the functions of erase, zoom and canvas rotate - all without nib contact. On the wacom, this doesn't function the same way as the right mouse can only activate via the stylus, so when you hold down the right mouse button on the wacom stylus, it only functions when the nip makes contact with the tablet. While this is great because of its pressure sensitivity uncompromised, this comes with the issue of inefficiency.

If this functionality with the wacom tablet cannot be addressed, would it be possible to have the option of using a custom keyboard shortcut to hold-toggle the erasing functionality in TV Paint, or perhaps a shortcut to hold-toggle the eraser blending mode? Believe it or not this is 3000% quicker to work with and is jarring for Wacom usability. I say this after having to revert back to Wacom after my larger Huion officially stopped functioning after many years of use where I never used the stylus buttons to get around because of how excellent the keyboard macros worked with TV Paint.

- The same goes for the zooming. Could this command be optionally macro'd to a button to hold-toggle with nib input rather than being limited to the only "ALT button + Right Mouse" which has to go in that order. It removes a hoop entirely and would have more accurate results for it. I know, I sound old-school, but keyboards make for better macro/keystroke devotees than the stylus of any tablet which can slip up and the fingers can pay the price for it later.

Colour Wheel:
- A luminosity lock. Similar to coolorus 2.5 which is incredibly sophisticated.
- A Gamut Mask to block out the colours you don't want to touch, again, similar to coolorus.
- Having the option to include sliders and mixers under the colour wheel/box, again, similar to coolorus.
- This may be a bug, but the colour wheel's complimentary nodes around the wheel are not clickable. if you want the colour of it, you need to click around it. Can this be fixed or made optionally clickable if it wasn't supposed to be in the first place?

TV Paint User Interface:
- Having the ability to add, move and remove the tools you don't use, such as the User Guide or the Share Manager to tidy your UI experience up.
- Having the ability to move the timeline to the top of the UI.
- Being able to lock hovering custom panels that leave the drawers, which usually get pulled around by accident a lot of the time. With the addition of locking down the macros/actions from being dragged or moved accidently. Perhaps by right clicking it and ticking the checkbox to lock or something similar.
- Having the ability to resize the pen-brushes with the Brush: Resize keystroke, as when you try, it instead picks the custom brushes to resize.
- This is more of a bug, but the remote likes to run away from the drawer when sometimes loading up TV Paint. :shock: I use the Inlay View... Lol
- The ability to customize all of the TV Paint menu icons. We've all got a unique bais towards a style or icon theme and would be most welcome being able to re-design the icons to your liking of theme.
- Creating custom mouse cursors.
- Making the UI colour scheme customization much more clearer to understand as the large list of components has no preview or clear description to show what will change. It's as if you should instead be taken to a newer page with an entire UI view to preview, accompanied by a colour wheel to help pick the colours that you want to change, because as it stands, you have to pick colours behind the captured UI onscreen and you don't really know what half of the UI info points towards.

Export Settings:
- Could there be a way to seed in a separated sequential field within a export's name when rendering a PNG sequence? When you name a file with a number, the sequential number of frame/sprite hangs onto the first number it finds in a file, rather than adding the numbers at the end of the file, or in any case, anywhere but the file's number. So something along the lines like this would be awesome:
File_VideoGameAsset_V2_[frame###] or File_VideoGameAsset_V2[_###]
> EXPORT...
File_VideoGameAsset_V2_001.png
File_VideoGameAsset_V2_002.png
File_VideoGameAsset_V2_003.png

...rather than...

File_VideoGameAsset_V2_
> EXPORT...
File_VideoGameAsset_V2_.png
File_VideoGameAsset_V3_.png
File_VideoGameAsset_V4_.png

- This is niche, but would it be possible to add the webm. format to export, with alpha?

I'm looking forward to the inevitable TV Paint 12 in the future! Keep up the excellent work and thank you for such an incredible piece of kit! :mrgreen:
slowtiger

Re: Fixed Shortcut flexibility, UI, and more!

Post by slowtiger »

I think the file numbering seed already wokrs corectly, I use names like abc_05_01 all the time and get the last number as the frame number.

Excellent points, btw.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Some excellent suggestions here! We will discuss your points with the devs
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Yes, indeed, some very good suggestions here.

The same as Slowtiger mentions in the post above, I find that the current file numbering structure works like this: If I am exporting a PNG image sequence (or TGA, TIFF, JPG, etc.) I only need to name the first one in the sequence as XXXX_XX_0001.png , and when I click Export all the other images will be numbered sequentially as XXXX_XX_0002.png , XXXX_XX_0003.png , XXXX_XX_0004.png , XXXX_XX_0005.png , XXXX_XX_0006.png , etc.

Numbering_exported_image_sequence.jpg
Or did you mean something else about the naming/numbering structure ?

- Having the ability to resize the pen-brushes with the Brush: Resize keystroke, as when you try, it instead picks the custom brushes to resize.
You can press and hold the z key while you click-and-drag the pen (or mouse) cursor to resize the Pen Brush. (or other brush tools) . But it would be better if it works more like Photoshop's Resize Brush , where you can tap the key to incrementally re-size the brush. Sometimes on the low-end if I am trying to reduce the size of the brush this method becomes unreliable after the brush size is reduced to around size 7.00 - to - 5.00 , so if I am holding down the z key while dragging the stylus cursor and trying to adjust it precisely down to a smaller brush size like 5.50 , 3.00, 2.50 , 1.75 , 1.25, 0.75 it's almost impossible. If I need to adjust the brush smaller than about 7.00 - to - 5.00 then I must resort to using the slider arrows in the Tool Panel, or manually typing in the desired brush size in the Tool Panel.

Being able to lock hovering custom panels
I believe this feature has been planned and will be coming soon.
This is niche, but would it be possible to add the webm format to export, with alpha?
I believe this is also planned for a soon-to-be-released update.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

- Having the ability to move the timeline to the top of the UI.
I do not think this is precisely what you are requesting , but you do (sort of) have that option now , by detaching the Timeline from the Project window , so the Timeline becomes a floating panel, which can be re-positioned at the top of the UI. Combine this with the keyboard shortcut 0 to instantly hide or reveal the Timeline , and it's a pretty good solution if you prefer working with the Timeline at the top of your workspace.
TVPaint_Timeline_positioned_at_top_of_UI.jpg

marijaye

Post by marijaye »

Dear D.T.,
This is exactly how I had my set up for years, and I recently moved my entire physical set up and bought a new computer and now I can't remember how to separate the timeline from the bottom! Can you remind me how to detach it? Thank you!
mari jaye
Windows 11
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900 @ 2.50GHz
32 GB Memory
1TB HDD/ 1 TB SSD/ 2 TB HDD
Touch
TVPaint 11 Pro 11.7.1-64 bits
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, you can undock the timeline by double clicking on its top bar (where the project's name is displayed).
Re-docking the timeline is done using this button:
Probably a vampire
marijaye

Post by marijaye »

Thanks, Dean, that sounds familiar and I know I have seen it before! But on my current timeline there is only a lock/unlock option, not the arrow, rectangle and X options. This is on both my mac and PC using different licenses. Do I have something set weird?
mari jaye
Windows 11
32 GB Memory
Touch
marijaye

Post by marijaye »

Trying to insert an image into this post, I'll try both ways:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14IdbDY ... share_link
mari jaye
Windows 11
32 GB Memory
Touch
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

marijaye wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 15:07 Thanks, Dean, that sounds familiar and I know I have seen it before! But on my current timeline there is only a lock/unlock option, not the arrow, rectangle and X options. This is on both my mac and PC using different licenses. Do I have something set weird?
See the attached screencapture video . (sorry , the sound got cut off at the start , so the video starts abruptly)
Attachments
Moving The Timeline in TVPaint.mov
(9.94 MiB) Downloaded 268 times

marijaye

Post by marijaye »

THANK YOU, D.T.!
I have been using this software for forever, so when things get "undone" I often don't know how to put them back because they were just always how I needed them ;)! Simple solution that was eluding me until your video. Appreciate it!
mari jaye
Windows 11
32 GB Memory
Touch