Panning Tool Improvement

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
mox

Re: Panning Tool Improvement

Post by mox »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 15:41 I found an old full size keyboard with the number pad, but when I try ctrl+pad 2/4/6/8 for down, left, right & up it does not do anything. Maybe this is a Windows-only thing ?
I also tried cmd+pad 2/4/6/8 , but that did not work. EDIT: using Cmd+pad numbers 2/4/6/8 for down,left,right,up does work . For some reason it wasn't working when I tried it previously. (It's possible that I did not have the Panning Tool active when I tried it earlier?)

Is Ctrl+ pad 2/4/6/8 (Windows) or Cmd+pad 2/4/6/8 (Mac) mentioned anywhere in the documentation ? I can't find it. It's a useful function , so I think it should be in the User Guide.
The same with Windows, not sure why it doesn't always work without selecting a tool.

I found something about the shortcuts in the documentation for the Transform Tool, nothing for the Panning Tool https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -transform
There would be no harm in adding those shortcuts in the full tooltips.
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.1-64 bits pro)
D.T. Nethery

Re: Panning Tool Improvement

Post by D.T. Nethery »

mox wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 11:15 I found something about the shortcuts in the documentation for the Transform Tool, nothing for the Panning Tool https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -transform
I see it now in the description of the Transform Tool: "You can also use the shortcuts [Ctrl+8], [Ctrl+6], [Ctrl+2] and [Ctrl+4], to respectively move your image at the top, on the right, at the bottom and on the left."

The Panning Tool should have a similar note: "You can use shortcuts Ctrl+8 , Ctrl+2, Ctrl+4, Ctrl+6 to move the image Up , Down, Left , Right 1 pixel at a time." (on Mac use Cmd+8 ,Cmd+2 , Cmd+4, Cmd+6) .

I would like to request that a new set of keyboard shortcuts for panning be added , so if you press Shift+CTRL+ 8, 2, 4, 6 , or Shift+CMD+8, 2, 4, 6 it will move the image Up , Down, Left , Right 10 pixels at a time , just like the nudge arrows in the Handy Panel.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.45.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.45.20 PM.png (32.79 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Although, I still want to emphasize that my preference would be for when the Panning Tool is selected the user could use the standard keyboard Up, Down, Left , Right arrow keys to shift the image 1 pixel at a time or if holding down Shift the standard keyboard Up, Down, Left , Right arrow keys would shift the image 10 pixels at a time , just like the Move Tool in the ubiquitous photo editing app that so many people are familiar with. (so users of TVPaint don't have to learn and remember a different method of doing it with a different set of keyboard shortcuts or have to make use of yet another custom panel cluttering up the interface.

mox wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 11:15 There would be no harm in adding those shortcuts in the full tooltips.
+1 .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1