Allow us to change the pan hotkey

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TVPUSER

Allow us to change the pan hotkey

Post by TVPUSER »

I've become used to using ALT as the hotkey for panning the canvas but honestly, it would be really helpful to allow us to change it to something else like spacebar or other keys..
TVPaint 11.7 Pro 64, Windows 10 Home
i7-8700k, 48GB, RTX 2080 8G, Cintiq Pro 24 (3840x2160)
Hironori Takagi

Re: Allow us to change the pan hotkey

Post by Hironori Takagi »

When I started using TVPaint, I consulted the developer about this problem, but the answer was "difficult".
It's a problem I've long wanted to solve, because my brain bugs me when I go back and forth between other applications.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TVPUSER wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 01:28 I've become used to using ALT as the hotkey for panning the canvas but honestly, it would be really helpful to allow us to change it to something else like spacebar or other keys..
Hironori Takagi wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 04:18 When I started using TVPaint, I consulted the developer about this problem, but the answer was "difficult".
It's a problem I've long wanted to solve, because my brain bugs me when I go back and forth between other applications.
I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand , I agree with "my brain bugs me when I go back and forth between other applications." , because almost all (or all ?) other drawing/animation apps such as Photoshop, After Effects, Sketchbook, GIMP, Krita, Clip Studio Paint, Rough Animator, Toonboom Harmony/Storyboard Pro, OpenToonz use the SPACEBAR for Move/Pan Canvas , but TVPaint alone uses ALT for Move Canvas, so it does require the user to reorient their thinking about such a frequently used keyboard shortcut when using TVPaint and it contributes to a perception among many people that TVPaint is just a bit "odd" (eccentric). Unless I'm on a project where I can use ONLY TVPaint , I do find that I always have to stop to think about it when I switch back to using TVPaint and often I'll press Spacebar to Move Canvas in TVPaint (even though I should know better!) from force of habit because all other apps I use have Move Canvas keyed to Spacebar. This is mentally wearisome in a way that is difficult to explain or understand for someone who does not do animation or illustration for a living. The whole point of keyboard shortcuts is to be able to execute common actions without having to think about it too much. Your brain and hand build up "muscle memory" of the actions required. For most keyboard shortcuts TVPaint allows the user to customize the shortcuts so the user can make the keyboard shortcuts in TVPaint as similar as possible to their preferred keyboard shortcuts in other apps, but ALT key to activate the Move Canvas (Panning tool) seems to be the exception.

On the other hand , if changing Move Canvas in TVPaint to Spacebar would mean that we lose the keyboard shortcut to easily Rotate Canvas (animation disc) using CTRL + ALT (so convenient with them being next to one another) and also Zoom Canvas in and out by CTRL+ALT while pressing the RIGHT-CLICK button on the stylus ,then I would be sad to lose those combinations, because I use them frequently when I'm using TVPaint. If it was simply a matter of changing Move Canvas to Spacebar and Rotate Canvas to CTRL+Spacebar , and Zoom to Ctrl+Spacebar+Right-Click button on stylus then I'd be all for it. (and actually on Mac it should be CMD+Spacebar for Rotate Canvas , and CMD+Spacebar+Right-Click button stylus).

Or leave it as it is now so CTRL+ALT rotate the canvas, and CTRL+ALT and pressing the Right-Click button on the stylus zoom in and out , but Move Canvas can be executed by either ALT (for those who prefer it ) or SPACEBAR then that would be even better.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, the possibility of binding the "ALT + clicks" shortcut's function to other keys has been added to the next TVPaint update.
Depending on if you use this new shortcut with left or right click, you will be able to zoom or pan.

As an example, you will be able to use the Space key + left click to pan and Space + right click to zoom.

Now separating these 2 special functions onto 2 distinct shortcuts would be a lot trickier to do according to the devs.
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Dean wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 13:08 Hello, the possibility of binding the "ALT + clicks" shortcut's function to other keys has been added to the next TVPaint update.
Depending on if you use this new shortcut with left or right click, you will be able to zoom or pan.

As an example, you will be able to use the Space key + left click to pan and Space + right click to zoom.

Now separating these 2 special functions onto 2 distinct shortcuts would be a lot trickier to do according to the devs.

Well, if Space + Left click (for Move/Panning) can be added to an Express Key that could be good. That way I could activate Pan Tool without putting down my stylus to activate left-click from the mouse.
Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 12.18.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 12.18.34 PM.png (92.93 KiB) Viewed 15788 times
It's not as efficient as a single key Space = Move/Pan. With left-click required then it means you have to put down your stylus , grab the mouse, and then hold down space key , plus left-click to move. (unless one of the buttons on the stylus is assigned to left-click, but I think most of us are not going to want to give up one of the stylus buttons being assigned to right-click. (since that is used for so many things in TVPaint , such as to activate erase mode or to activate menus )

CTRL+SPACE or CMD+SPACE for Move/Pan Canvas would be better because I can do that action one-handed , without putting down my stylus. But I suppose it really amounts to the same thing as the current ALT to Move/Pan Canvas or CTRL+ALT+Right-Click (with stylus button) to Zoom .

TVPUSER

Post by TVPUSER »

Dean wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 13:08 Hello, the possibility of binding the "ALT + clicks" shortcut's function to other keys has been added to the next TVPaint update.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new change! Thank you for considering this request. :D
TVPaint 11.7 Pro 64, Windows 10 Home
i7-8700k, 48GB, RTX 2080 8G, Cintiq Pro 24 (3840x2160)
Hironori Takagi

I look forward to this statement.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I must have missed it before , but am pleased to find that this feature request was added to one of the 11.7.1 hotfix updates.

Now there is a new Keyboard Shortcut called Panning & Zoom (held). Just assign it to the Spacebar and now you can Pan/Move by holding down spacebar, just like in Photoshop, Harmony, Clip Studio Paint, OpenToonz, etc. (and for those who prefer to use Alt key for Pan/Move , the Alt key still works for this purpose).

Panning Shortcut.png
Panning Shortcut.png (3.89 KiB) Viewed 13570 times
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 9.28.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 9.28.17 AM.png (84.24 KiB) Viewed 13570 times

kelanhordos

Post by kelanhordos »

Wow! Thanks so much, I can't believe I missed this either. This is literally a game changer for my brain and switching between programs! Your post above in March resonates on a deep level, haha.

I swear every time I dig into the shortcuts I find new things to make use of Tvpaint feel that much better.
PC: Windows 10/64 Pro - TUF Gaming H470-PRO, i9-10900F@ 2.8 GHz - 32Gb RAM
Tvpaint 11.7.3 Pro
Wacom Cintiq 16 Driver: 6.4.5-5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

kelanhordos wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 14:35 Wow! Thanks so much, I can't believe I missed this either.

This is literally a game changer for my brain and switching between programs!
Yes, indeed ! Just that brief second where I don't have to pause to remember: "Alt or Spacebar ?" or out of habit (from using other apps) I accidentally would hit the Spacebar and then curse because it did not do what I wanted and then I remember I have to use Alt in TVPaint ... simply eliminating that little bit of mental gymnastics helps my workflow. Every little bit of user friendliness in an app's user interface helps.

Hironori Takagi

wonderful!
I overlooked this feature when translating the release notes for 11.7.1. thank you.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 13:28 I must have missed it before , but am pleased to find that this feature request was added to one of the 11.7.1 hotfix updates.

Now there is a new Keyboard Shortcut called Panning & Zoom (held). Just assign it to the Spacebar and now you can Pan/Move by holding down spacebar, just like in Photoshop, Harmony, Clip Studio Paint, OpenToonz, etc. (and for those who prefer to use Alt key for Pan/Move , the Alt key still works for this purpose).

Panning Shortcut.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 9.28.17 AM.png
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Good news: in v12, the special Panning and Zoom shortcuts can now be bound to different keys and the user can choose whether they will activate by holding left or right click, along with the key press.

In short, the shortcut panel will have 4 new options:

- Panning held) via left click
- Panning (held) via right click
- Zooming (held) via left click
- Zooming (held) via right click
Probably a vampire
rohandeshchougule

Post by rohandeshchougule »

Hello all,

I was wondering similarly to changing to space key for panning and/or zooming, if it would be possible to allows us to change the function of opt key on Mac (alt on windows) to cmd key, as a lot of times cmd key ends being pressed than the 'opt' key to zoom in and out or for panning. Currently there's no just cmd key assigning for any shortcut. Thank you in advance!
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Awesome :)
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.