camera moves and import high rez BG's

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Dean
Site Admin

Re: camera moves and import high rez BG's

Post by Dean »

The layer won't be actually erased, but the properties that make it usable as a CTG layer will be, leaving you with what looks like your average color layer.

Then one can turn these ex CTG layers into CTG again, and relink them to their previous source layers, but then the colors in the drawings' colored areas are considered as very big squiggles by the CTG layer and sometimes behave in an unconsistent

manner.
Probably a vampire
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Dean wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 14:57 The layer won't be actually erased, but the properties that make it usable as a CTG layer will be, leaving you with what looks like your average color layer.

Then one can turn these ex CTG layers into CTG again, and relink them to their previous source layers, but then the colors in the drawings' colored areas are considered as very big squiggles by the CTG layer and sometimes behave in an unconsistent manner.
Ah, yes, ok ... now I remember that. If the file has been opened, modified, and saved in TVPaint Standard then when it is re-opened in TVPaint Pro you have to to reconvert it from Anim layer to CTG layer. So the CTG layer is not erased as such, but is modified and must be restored to CTG when it is reopened in TVPaint Pro. When I read that the CTG would be "erased" it gave me a fright ! :shock:

It's been a few years since I have worked on a production where some of the artists were using TVPaint Pro and some were using TVPaint Standard and we had to trade files back and forth.
(the most confusing time was when TVPaint 11 had come out , but some people still had TVPaint 10.5 with Lazy Brush plug-in !)

I had forgotten that the CTG layer had to be converted from Anim back to CTG if the .tvpp file had been opened in TVPaint Standard. And yes, it does sometimes behave inconsistently and will deliver an error message that the layer can not be converted to CTG , so I try to avoid doing this if possible. My method was sending a COPY of the original file (with CTG layers) to one of the crew members using TVPaint Standard edition, then when they completed their work they sent the file back to me , I would open their file (my original file already being open) and copy their layers to paste into my original file. OR if I knew for certain that I would not be doing any additional work with the CTG layers I would convert the CTG layers to Anim Layers before sending the file off to my colleague using TVPaint Standard ... but as a rule still best to duplicate the scene, then convert the CTG layers to Anim layers ,and send the copy to the other person using TVPaint Standard , so the original .tvpp file with CTG layers is preserved , because it never seems to fail that whenever I think to myself: "Well, this scene is FINAL , I'll never have to make any further modifications to it , so I might as well merge all these layers or convert them to Anim layers, etc." as soon as I do that I'll get a note from the director asking for a modification !

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

JoeMurray wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 14:22 So all of the brushes and such are the same, etc. I'm not sure what CTG layers are, but that probably means I don't use them. :)

Yes, if you don't use CTG Layers , then no worries. The other tools - - brushes, paintbucket, filled stroke, filled rectangle -- are exactly the same in TVPaint Pro and TVPaint Standard.

JoeMurray

Post by JoeMurray »

Being new to TVpaint, I am not aware of CTG capabilities, but I should find out, I might like it. So I wouldn't have it if I didn't specifically ask for it. The texture brushes that are available do not automatically make a CTG layer? Or does it?
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

JoeMurray wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 15:30 Being new to TVpaint, I am not aware of CTG capabilities, but I should find out, I might like it. So I wouldn't have it if I didn't specifically ask for it. The texture brushes that are available do not automatically make a CTG layer? Or does it?
No, a standard brush that has texture won't automatically make a CTG layer. You have to intentionally create a CTG layer from the New Layer menu.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 10.39.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 10.39.31 AM.png (20.18 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 10.39.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 10.39.57 AM.png (88.24 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

I should note that they changed the name from Color & Texture Generator Layer (CTG) to Color & Texture Layer (CTL) as of version 11.7, but I'm so used to referring to it as CTG that I haven't got in the habit of saying or writing CTL. In version 11.5 and before it is still CTG.

Read all about it starting here: https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... l-concepts or these video tutorials about using CTG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDjQNvbgzmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mSXxr8Stsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqdA9LRGF8U

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 15:40I should note that they changed the name from Color & Texture Generator Layer (CTG) to Color & Texture Layer (CTL) as of version 11.7, but I'm so used to referring to it as CTG that I haven't got in the habit of saying or writing CTL. In version 11.5 and before it is still CTG.
This was a mistake, and it will be changed back to CTG in the next update or hotfix.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.