Keyboard shortcut unavailable ?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Keyboard shortcut unavailable ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Here is something I noticed in Shortcuts: some keyboard shortcuts say - keyboard shortcut not available -

What does it mean ?

Also, it doesn't seem to be true that the shortcut is unavailable because in the screenshot I posted notice that Ctrl M says - keyboard shortcut not available - but then I was able to assign it to Layer: Merge Selected with no problem.

This seems like it's a bug in the Shortcuts list. Can someone from TVPaint please confirm?

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 9.47.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 9.47.45 AM.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Matthieu
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard shortcut unavailable ?

Post by Matthieu »

Hello David,

This description means that those keyboard shortcuts are normally used by the operating system. You can try to use them but they may not work properly because of this. Those shortcuts previously had the following description: "System shortcut, may not work in TVPaint!". I feel this is a bit more clear, so we may revert back to this one for future updates, or disable the use of those shortcuts altogether to prevent confusion among users.
D.T. Nethery

Re: Keyboard shortcut unavailable ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Matthieu wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 13:20 Hello David,

This description means that those keyboard shortcuts are normally used by the operating system. You can try to use them but they may not work properly because of this. Those shortcuts previously had the following description: "System shortcut, may not work in TVPaint!". I feel this is a bit more clear, so we may revert back to this one for future updates, or disable the use of those shortcuts altogether to prevent confusion among users.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense .

Except in this case (on MacOS) CTRL M is not a keyboard shortcut used by the operating system. On MacOS CMD M is a system shortcut: Command-M: Minimize the front window to the Dock. To minimize all windows of the front app, press Option-Command-M. , but not CTRL M. However in the Shortcut list in TVPaint CMD M is an open, unassigned shortcut with no designation of - keyboard shortcut not available - . (even though CMD M is a Mac operating system shortcut)

Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 8.31.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 8.31.32 AM.png (65.83 KiB) Viewed 719 times

It seems that the TVPaint Shortcuts list should be customized for users running Windows OS and users running Mac OS, not just assume that the Windows system shortcuts are the same for MacOS. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Matthieu wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 13:20 . Those shortcuts previously had the following description: "System shortcut, may not work in TVPaint!". I feel this is a bit more clear, so we may revert back to this one for future updates, or disable the use of those shortcuts altogether to prevent confusion among users.
I agree that the description "System shortcut, may not work in TVPaint!" is more clearly understood.

If you disable the use of operating system shorcuts altogether then it has to be customized to Mac version of TVPaint and Windows version of TVPaint (and LInux) because MacOS and Windows don't share all the same system shortcuts.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1