Little white dots on Speed fill

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
petefelstead

Little white dots on Speed fill

Post by petefelstead »

white dots.png
white dots.png (20.43 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Hi,

Can anyone explain what has caused the white dots when using speed fill on the darker portion of this character?
I am not referring to the squiggle marks.

Many thanks!

Pete
Peter Wassink

Re: Little white dots on Speed fill

Post by Peter Wassink »

With Speedfill do you mean Paintbucket tool?

by changing the settings of the Paintbucket tool you can control how it interacts with the lines of the original drawing.
for instance increasing the "Expand"value will likely get rid of the white dots.
As it enlarges the fill area with a pixel per value increase

Those white spots are not actually white btw. but almost transparent AntiAlias pixels.
Depending how you set the "Range"value the paint bucket will ignore or accept pixels above a certain opacity range as border.
If you set the range lower (default =25) you will see more"white", because it will accept pixels with little opacity as border.
if you set it higher it will ignore more lighter pixels.
if you set it max (255) it will ignore all pixels and color the whole screen.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 16:09 With Speedfill do you mean Paintbucket tool?

by changing the settings of the Paintbucket tool you can control how it interacts with the lines of the original drawing.
for instance increasing the "Expand"value will likely get rid of the white dots.
As it enlarges the fill area with a pixel per value increase

Those white spots are not actually white btw. but almost transparent AntiAlias pixels.
Depending how you set the "Range"value the paint bucket will ignore or accept pixels above a certain opacity range as border.
If you set the range lower (default =25) you will see more"white", because it will accept pixels with little opacity as border.
if you set it higher it will ignore more lighter pixels.
if you set it max (255) it will ignore all pixels and color the whole screen.

Peter, those are all good notes on using the paintbucket, but to me it appears that petefelstead is using CTG coloring (see the "squiggles" in the screenshot).
What I'm not sure about is why the other color areas on the image don't show any squiggle marks.
Screen Shot 2023-03-01 at 12.07.58 PM.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 17:07 Peter, those are all good notes on using the paintbucket, but to me it appears that petefelstead is using CTG coloring (see the "squiggles" in the screenshot).
ha, yes wel spotted David!.
I actually realised that this was probably the case... after i wrote all that.

and then i remembered that the speedfill brush has no options! so there is no fix.
only if you extract the ctg layer out to a normal layer you can do some damage control
after the fact and apply a border FX or something similar.

Btw, i think this has to do with the CTG coloring not being symmetrical, the fill has holes on one side and not the other.
i reported on this a couple of years ago but nothing was done.
(https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php ... 94#p122094)

CTG is one of those many potentially great TVPaint features that never really got properly finished.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 14:53
Btw, i think this has to do with the CTG coloring not being symmetrical, the fill has holes on one side and not the other.
i reported on this a couple of years ago but nothing was done.
(https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php ... 94#p122094)

CTG is one of those many potentially great TVPaint features that never really got properly finished.
True. CTG could still definitely use improvement. The "hierarchy" of color fill areas (large areas compared to smaller areas) and how the squiggles effect adjacent color areas is not easily understood. Sometimes I fill an area which has solid lines , all closed off (no gaps) but it still overspills the color into adjacent areas. (would have probably been easier and faster just to use the paintbucket). It takes quite a bit of trial & error testing to figure it out. For some things I just find it easier to fall back on the traditional paintbucket and/or filled stroke - filled rectangle methods. The workflow in this tutorial is the one I still use - https://youtu.be/Y5GBwEE6jgE .

By the way, have you tried the coloring app Cadmium ? I think it might be worth the TVP developers having a close look at how Cadmium behaves. (although it might be irrelevant to TVPaint, because as I understand it Cadmium is using some sort of AI engine for calculating color fills) . It seems to me to have very accurate fills, although it also tends to miss frequently and must be corrected , but when it fills correctly the fills are solid. It's still in beta , but a recent note from the developer said there is a major update close to being released.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 15:48 ...
By the way, have you tried the coloring app Cadmium ? I think it might be worth the TVP developers having a close look at how Cadmium behaves. (although it might be irrelevant to TVPaint, because as I understand it Cadmium is using some sort of AI engine for calculating color fills) . It seems to me to have very accurate fills, although it also tends to miss frequently and must be corrected , but when it fills correctly the fills are solid. It's still in beta , but a recent note from the developer said there is a major update close to being released.
Interesting. i'll check it out.

Though its not A.I. the algorithm on which the CTG layer working is based was realised with an external party,
namely in a cooperation with algorithm master Daniel Sykora.
Is there still some connection with him or his people?

btw the makers of another software that this man was involved with (ebsynth) have something very interesting.
i just discovered it and its very Very interesting, an entirely new way of colormixing.
They have created the only software that mixes color like real media..!
mixbox
Screenshot 2023-03-08 144553.png
It would be am awesome feat if this could somehow also be introduced in TVPaint.