Academy Award-nominated "My Year of Dicks" animated with TVPaint

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
D.T. Nethery

Academy Award-nominated "My Year of Dicks" animated with TVPaint

Post by D.T. Nethery »

At this year's Academy Award ceremony , "The Boy, The Mole, The Fox, and The Horse" (animated using TVPaint) took home the award for Best Animated Short Film of 2022.

But one of the other nominated films, "My Year of Dicks" directed by Sara Gunnarsdóttir , was also made with TVPaint.

https://directorsnotes.com/2023/01/23/s ... -of-dicks/
"Everyone but myself was working in TVPaint, but I’m still most comfortable with working on paper so I stuck to it. [animator] Kevin Eskew had made a really nice pencil tool that they were all using and gave us a beautiful line. Kyle Brooks who colored the whole thing for us was also doing so in TVPaint."

-------

Interesting that in the past 5 years at least one of the nominated films was made with TVPaint:

In 2021 the nominated film "Affairs of the Art" (Joanna Quinn and Les Mills) was partially made using TVPaint. The animation was drawn on paper , scanned , then colored in TVPaint.

In 2020, four of the nominated films were made with TVPaint: the winning film "If Anything Happens I Love You" (Michael Govier & Will McCormack) , also "Burrow" (Madeline Sharafian & Michael Capbarat) , "Opera" (Erick Oh) , and "Genius Loci" (Adrien Mérigeau & Amaury Ovise ; animated with TVPaint , drawings printed onto watercolour paper with final lines and colours using watercolours and inks, then composited in AE).

In 2019 the nominated film "Kitbull" (Rosana Sullivan & Kathryn Hendrickson) was made with TVPaint.

In 2018 two of the nominated films were made with TVPaint: "Weekends" (Trevor Jimenez ) and "Animal Behaviour" (Alison Snowden & David Fine ; the end credits have a Special Thanks including Chad Essley , Don Perro, and also The TVPaint Forum).
end credits Animal Behaviour.png

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1