Photoshop ACTIONS equivalents in TVPaint

To talk about anything else
D.T. Nethery

Photoshop ACTIONS equivalents in TVPaint

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Anyone who has to spend much time with Photoshop eventually gets around to the concept of creating Actions in Photoshop, to automate certain repetitive tasks.

In TVPaint we can do this with various Custom Panels (the built-in 'Handy Panel' is a great example) and also creating a list of Presets in the FX Stack (the FX like Particle Generator which has a set of built-in presets is a good example). I was thinking about this recently when watching this video by Toniko Pantoja (who is a TVPaint user , although not exclusively ; he also uses Photoshop. After Effects, Blender ,and Toonboom Harmony for his work) about his set of Photoshop Actions for storyboard artists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DwtZKl9qu0

His custom Photoshop Actions are available on his Gumroad store , only $5.00 . (Well worth it if you have to spend any time storyboarding in Photoshop.)

https://stringbing.gumroad.com/l/tone-iko-touch

Nathan Otano has put together a really useful Custom Panel of shortcuts for Storyboarders and Svengali's various Scripts and Custom Panels posted over the years are also very useful. Mads Juul (who has apparently left the TVPaint world ) gifted our community with some great scripts and custom tool panels over the years. (others could be mentioned ... sorry, I don't intend to leave anyone out).

I think the point I'm leading up to is that it might be nice if TVPaint Development gathered all of these various custom scripts and panels together into a built-in 'Super Custom Tool Panel of Presets and "Actions" for Storyboarding'. It's been my observation that most people do not tend to immediately think of TVPaint when they think of storyboarding (even those who do use TVPaint for animation will tend to use Photoshop or Storyboard Pro for storyboarding). It's sort of the same thing with doing illustrations or concept art. I know of people who use TVPaint to animate who will default to using Photoshop if they are doing illustration or concept art or painting backgrounds.

I'm posting this in the Off Topic section because I'm just collecting my thoughts on this topic, but I don't have any clear plan on how to proceed . I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about the same things ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Nagarjuna Gupta

Re: Photoshop ACTIONS equivalents in TVPaint

Post by Nagarjuna Gupta »

I just bought Toniko's action set and they are really amazing and makes storyboarding a lot faster. I would like to see this happen too. A TVPaint version of this and similar ones would be all I need honestly.