Traditional animation tools

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
oliveuk

Traditional animation tools

Post by oliveuk »

To me TVPaint is a digital 2d animation tool and I feel that it needs some serious brushes that can replicate the traditional 2d animation environment.

Here is my contribution towards this goal.

2 very simple brushes based on the default tools.

One is a blue rough pencil and the second one is a black clean up pen.

I am also posting an example at the end of this post, done with the rough pencil.

[update 11 march 2009 Olive TradiTools 1.6]
http://www.olivier-ladeuix.com/blog/upl ... ols1.6.zip
I added some new tools to my toolbar and fixed some issues. The buttons with the C have been ripped off from the instance panel which you can download from the forum. They allow you to jump from key to key. Ideally you would want those 2 to be associated to a hotkey or shortcut but I find them very useful when using a TabletPC in slate mode.

[update 15 march 2008 Olive TradiTools 1.3]
I have fixed the aspect of the col-Erase blue pencil so you won't get 1 pixel line when drawing vertical lines, I also made it a bit darker (thanks Zigotto)

I am adding 2 new tools, one is a customised Cut tool that allows to draw and cut a selection as in other softwares but it can also be used to delete areas of your drawing. The other one is very usefull for people doing storyboards or Animatics as it moves the text handle from the default center position to the bottom left (Thanks Hervé)

Olive

Last edited by oliveuk on 30 Jun 2009, 09:53, edited 16 times in total.
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

What is the difference with sketch panel pencils?

M.
ubik

Forget something...

Post by ubik »

Oliveuk
I think that you forget to compress both files: .bin AND the drawer of your tools. I know that!
"Les amis, tout doit disparaître! Nous soldons la totalité de nos Ubiks électriques, silencieux, à des prix défiants toute concurrence."
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

the look of the line elmisilhumano. I don't like the sketch panel ones. They don't look (feel) like the ones used by regular animation studios. (Disney, Dreamworks....)

The sketchpanel ones look too clean for roughing poses or animation.

Do you like them elmisilhumano?

I chose the above drawing as it should remind people of the old Xerox Disney movies.

Here is Glen Keane demonstrating my customized pencil ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbA6lG79Eo

Olive
Last edited by oliveuk on 15 Mar 2008, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

Now they work. I like the blue one. Really nice line. Thanks for sharing.

M.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thanks , Olivier . I like your blue pencil , too. It's in my sketch panel now.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

Is the black one same as the one in sketch panel? I can't see the difference. The blue one is now my number one pencil. Really nice..

M.
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

no the black one should be different than the Sketch panel one. I started from the basic brush and tweaked the profile.

Now one think I realised is that those 2 brushes work very well on my Tablet Pc but not so well on my Intuos3. The drawing above was done on the Tablet PC not the Intuos.

On my Tablet PC I have a very old Wacom pen which I need to push really hard compared to the Intuos3 one and to tell you the truth I can't stand the Intuos3 anymore and sketch only on the TabletPC

Could you put some example of your work using those brushes in here? I would be interested to see what kind of result you get.

Olive
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

Here is a quickie. Done with cintiq in 1280x720.
Attachments
olive_test.jpg
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

oliveuk wrote:Now one think I realised is that those 2 brushes work very well on my Tablet Pc but not so well on my Intuos3. The drawing above was done on the Tablet PC not the Intuos.

On my Tablet PC I have a very old Wacom pen which I need to push really hard compared to the Intuos3 one and to tell you the truth I can't stand the Intuos3 anymore and sketch only on the TabletPC
You know, I'm starting to get the same symptoms. I can't say I don't stand my intuos, but I feel I'm much more productive and, more importantly, less distracted when I draw on my tabletPC. The main problem is the screen size. So I don't want to abandon my intuos+24" monitor setup as I probably will find it extremely important when I get into the swing of animating daily.
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

the blue rough pencil seems to be working fine Elmisilhumano. Is the cleanup done with my brush? On my Tablet PC I get a better thick and thin look
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

Yes it is. But I think my wacom pen setting is quite soft. And this was really quickie I didn't put much effort for the clean up.But anyways I love the ruff pencil. I have to try to make red and yellow one too so I can replace my sketch panel colored pencils with these.

M.
Boomslang

Post by Boomslang »

very nice! Its roughness is exactly right. I think this more pencillike brush will improve my rough animation tests. Thank you!
Boomslang

Post by Boomslang »

unfortunately, because the blue one is a the charchoal pencil, when I want the more detailed line, say thickness = 1, it becomes a pixelfest. Do you guys experience this too?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

unfortunately, you can't do anything with a single tool,
make your first rough with a blue "thick" pencil, (Olive's one f.i.)
refine/add smaller details with another blue "sharper" tool (see pict.),
of course you can switch between the 2 (thick/thin) by using shortkeys.
8)

in attached file, a CP with 2 thin blue pencils, one using paper, the other not.
Attachments
ZSBP.zip
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
BlueSharpPencil.png