Aura 2.7 VT5 stencil layers

You got a problem with Mirage or Aura ? Tell us here.
zebragal

Aura 2.7 VT5 stencil layers

Post by zebragal »

Tried making a stencil where the text is the stencil over a moving background. in other words, we will see the moving background through the text. The moving background will be a video clip imported from VT5. Do we need 2 layers or 3 and in what order? I was not successful so am wondering if someone will explain the process to create this step by step. Also, I want the text to have a white outline. I know how to create the outline but am uncertain of where in the creative steps to do this. Appreciate your instructions in 1, 2, 3, 4 mode.
Thanks in advance
Glenda L. (aka zebragal)
exxona
Mandalaholic

Re: Aura 2.7 VT5 stencil layers

Post by Mandalaholic »

I'm not sure how the pro's do it but I accomplish a task like this by grabbing the panning background as an animbrush, then I go into the keyframer and under render you select custom brush. Then I apply the effect with "preserve transparency enabled". That is of course if you have your type on a layer w. transparent bkg. If you want to give this a try I can give you more detailed step by step instructions. I used that method on a couple of examples in the Mirage Gallery but thats history now.
Howdy Yaaaal!
Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

oops my apologies, I did not notice you were using Aura. Yet perhaps you can still do something similar in that program.
Howdy Yaaaal!
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

So you have :
Text layer : an animated layer with your text. The text is fully opaque, all around is fully transparent.
Clip layer : an animated layer with your video clip.

Solution 1
Drag the Clip Layer and drop it over to the Text layer in Replace mode.
Delete or hide the Text Layer.

Solution 2
create an anim layer.
Fill it with a color at 100% opacity, call it "Mask"
Stretch the layer to the size of your text layer.
Drag the Text Layer and drop it over to the Mask layer in Erase mode.
Now, there is are "holes" in the mask layer.
Delete or hide the Text Layer.
Drag the Mask Layer and drop it over to the Clip layer in Erase mode.
Delete or hide the Mask Layer.
Now, you should have your video clip playing in the text shape.
Manuel
zebragal

Post by zebragal »

Thank you very much all. I will try right now and let you know. :lol:
exxona
zebragal

Post by zebragal »

For Manual,
:cry:
Things are not working. I followed your directions as best I could, twice. All I got was an opaque text over merged layers with the clip in the background. I am missing something. I need to know when to turn the stencil of a layer on. Not familiar with replace mode.

Wondering if you meant the "erase mode" in the little window that comes up when you drag one layer over another or, clicking the green button to make the layer disappear. That was confusing to me. I never had a chance to delete or hide the Text layer because it got merged when it was dropped over the Mask layer. Ditto with mask layer to clip layer. There are several items which were not clear to me as to when to activate. They are,
1) Stencil button (turns from gray to green) beside a layer
2) Disappear button (turns from green to red)
3) Stencil enable/disable button at top bar.
4) Preserve transparency button on top bar.

When to use these was not mentioned. I really am a newbie and feeling quite clumsy. If you will stay with me, I will get it.
Thank you very much for your time.
videogal
exxona
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

Sorry for the confusion, I had only Aura1 (in french) installed to verify my solutions.
I must re-install Aura2 to get the right names...
I will check tomorrow if I find my CDs :?

Never use the stencil buttons with solution 1 and 2.

Solution 1 : Do you have the "Replace" mode in the merge menu ?
If the answer is yes, use it.
If it is not available, use the Preserve transparency button, on top bar , with Color as merge mode.

Solution 2
Use "erase" mode in the small requester that pop-up when you merge the 2 layers.
If the source layer is deleted after merge operation, then you don't need to hide it, of course.
Manuel
zebragal

Re: Aura 2.7 VT5 stencil layers- accomplished

Post by zebragal »

:lol:
Manuel,
Think I used a combo of both solutions 1 and 2 and a couple ideas of my own. Finally produced the intended graphic and saved it in rtv mode for VT5.

In case someone else wants to do what I did, i.e., make a transparent text, with a white outline, on a black background with video playing through the text. The following is the order used.

1) Create the text in a new project on an alpha layer. Make text layer an anim.
2) Load video clip now, or load video clip first. I do not think it makes any diff.
3) Enable "Preserve Transparency" button at top bar.
3) Stretch text layer to appropriate length, same as video file if you want it that long and I did.
4) Enable stencil button (button turns from gray to green) on text layer. (I know you said not to use it Manuel but it worked for me.) :)
5) Use "Merge" button on left of layer panel. Choose "Merge all.
NOTE: At this point, the graphic played properly with clip showing through text, IF I SCRUBBED the merged layers. Still had to add outline.
6) To add a white outline to text, disable "Preserve Transparency" tool at top bar.
7) Add new anim layer for white outline of text.
8) Make white text outline for layer.
9) Stretch new anim layer to appropriate length to match merged layers.
10) Enable "Preserve Transparency."
11) Merge new layer with other merged layers.
12. Check new clip for playback, then save it.
12) Save as "rtv" file exported to Video Toaster.
exxona
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

It is nice that you have found your solution.
As always, there are many method, with/without stencil, preserve transparency, anim brush, spare mix...
What a great program, everybody can find its own approach.
And the new versions are getting better and better!
Manuel
zebragal

Tiny correction for stencil layers process

Post by zebragal »

Sorry but if you use the process with the 12 steps in the earlier post, here are two corrections for Steps No. 4 and 5.

4. The stencil button, when engaged, changes from gray to blue, not green as stated.
5. When using the "Merge" button for this step, choose "Merge Visible," not "Merge All," as stated.

This process works well for the purpose intended.
zebragal
exxona