Quicktime import question

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
sharkcellar

Quicktime import question

Post by sharkcellar »

I'm trying to import a quicktime movie. The actual movie aspect ratio is not very large (320x240). The project size is 640x480. When I import the quicktime movie to a new project the image in the movie is placed, not center stage, but bottom right. Everything around the image is black. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong. Any hints? I've supplied a screen capture that will hopefully be more informative than I. :oops:

Hmm...there apparently is an image size limit. Anyway, hopefully you can see how the quicktime is being imported and what I'm talking about.
idragosani

Re: Quicktime import question

Post by idragosani »

Can you cut it as an anim brush and move it to where you want it?
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Idragosani,

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I have done that but with 600+ frames it is rather tedious to go and reset every single frame maually that way. It gave me some great ideas though!

There has to be a way to make sure that the image import places the quicktime center stage, right? :oops:
hisko

Post by hisko »

Why don't you create a new project with the exact ratio (320 x 240), then import the clip as a layer and resize (modify) the project or crop it if you need the black around it?
I 'm not sure, but I think that all programmers from tvpaint are in Annecy right now and are not able to help you right now. But maybe I'm wrong.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Normally any import should show up in center stage. This glitch never happened to me.

Best way to deal with it right now would be to use the crop tool, then modify the new (cropped) project to whatever specifications you want.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

I'm starting to think this is maybe a real problem. Here is a pic of the import/load window when I try to bring in the quicktime file.

I can't change the aspect ratio at all in the import window. But, when I have an actual project open, I CAN modify the project's aspect ratio. :(

The crop tool works brilliantly though. :D
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

your quicktime file is probably like that ... can you inspect the .mov file in quictime player,
to see what it says about the sequence properties (movie Info : Format, FPS, size, ...) ?

or can you share this file to see if anybody else have the same issue ?
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

I can't seem to attach the files. I keep getting an "invalid file type" error whenever I attempt to.

The quicktime can be found here:

http://www.yomogi.sakura.ne.jp/~ronz/tr ... gi_320.mpg
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

sharkcellar wrote:I can't seem to attach the files. I keep getting an "invalid file type" error whenever I attempt to.

The quicktime can be found here:

http://www.yomogi.sakura.ne.jp/~ronz/tr ... gi_320.mpg
Well, this isn't actually a quicktime file, it's an mpeg. I had no trouble importing at all. It defaulted to importing as VGA Low-res. I also changed format to NTSC D1 and it imported without issue. Not sure why it is defaulting to those wierd dimensions.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

imported without any issue here, excepted the frame rate (30fps instead of 24).
Last edited by ZigOtto on 12 Jun 2008, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Hmmm...curiouser and curiouser. :?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Well, I can assure you that you will stumble about such a strangely behaving file eventually in the future. It's not always the program's fault, it's quite ofte something sent from a client who isnt't too skilled with video formats or computers at all. As long as it can be imported with all the images, everything is fine, because you can crop and twist and adjust until it's correct and then export it as a new, decent file.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Slowtiger
So true.

Everyone,
Thanks for all the help. I have made some great discoveries with this though. The animation brush and the crop tool are great!