Standardized key commands

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
sharkcellar

Standardized key commands

Post by sharkcellar »

I know this has been talked about, but I just wanted to add my two cents. :P

1. TVPaint seriously needs to get with using standard commands for things like copy (Ctrl+C), paste (Ctrl+V), save (Ctrl+S), close project (Ctrl+W), and open project (Ctrl+O). For instance, if I'm drawing with my stylus and I want to cut, copy, or paste an image from a layer, I have to switch to my mouse. For some arcane reason cutting, copying, pasting images isn't even located in the Edit menu.

2. It would also be nice if you could make shortcuts for every command that is available in the in the program (excluding those I've just mentioned). There is currently no recognition of the Alt key for shortcuts.

3. Customized panels that stay put. I know this has been said before.

4. It would also be nice if you didn't have to right-click+hold for submenus. Simply make it stay when rght-clicked. Better yet make it an option, like how you can turn off the annoying auto pop-up menus in ZBrush.

Now I know I'm probably gonna get the "Why does TVPaint have to use the same commands as every other program?", but that argument doesn't carry water because TVPaint fundamentally looks like a normal app. Unlike ZBrush which has a kooky interface that takes getting used to (though I believe it still uses standard key commands), TVPaint looks like a normal GUI and you expect things to be were you expect them to be and behave how you expect them to behave. Arguing that it is somehow so different that it deserves to not have Ctrl+S, sounds to me like those artists who when critiqued about their art flinch and say "well, it's just my style. I meant to have the proportions and composition all wrong." C'mon, I think we all want to just animate, not decipher the cryptic construction of a software's GUI. Animating is enough work, right? TVPaint is a fantastic program, but if it is gonna get better it needs to rid itself of the caveat "Our copy, paste and save key commands are screwy."

I really do like this program a lot, thus my harsh critique. :D
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Standardized key commands

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

1. TVPaint seriously needs to get with using standard commands for things like copy (Ctrl+C), paste (Ctrl+V), save (Ctrl+S), close project (Ctrl+W), and open project (Ctrl+O). For instance, if I'm drawing with my stylus and I want to cut, copy, or paste an image from a layer, I have to switch to my mouse. For some arcane reason cutting, copying, pasting images isn't even located in the Edit menu.
I don't understand your problem; this is the way it works here, but if you have other commands set to Ctrl+xxx, you can easily change that in the key command panel Ctrl+K.

I prefer to keep it simple and have assigned my C key to copy, V to paste etc... I don't have to bother with Ctrl+...

I never heard of Ctrl+W for open project, but if that's what you like, Ctrl+W is also available to have that assigned to it.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
I never heard of Ctrl+W for open project...

Paul,

Me either. Ctrl+W is usually "Close project". Go ahead, try it on any application that you're running. :)

As far as keeping it simple. I'd rather that common commands be what they are usually. I'd like that "C" key to be something that I can assign and Ctrl+C be what it normally is in about 90% of the software out there, COPY.

I use a lot of different software for graphic and audio work and for one of them to have such a glaring difference is simply a big bummer. I can't be the only person who finds TVPaint strange in it's needlessly unorthodox command setup. A large part of the reason why Ctrl+xxx (Ctrl+X is usually cut, by the way) is the standard is so that you can't just accidentally copy, paste, or save. Just having that "C" there is just asking for it to be hit willy-nilly, forcing you to recopy whatever you may have had residing in the clipboard.

Like I said, I otherwise think that TVPaint is an awesome program, heads and shoulders more fun to use than say Flash or Toon Boom, because it works in rasters, but the key command thing is downright vexing.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Ok, I have egg on my face. I just reset the key command back to the Default setup and TVPaint apparently does (except for Ctrl+S for save) use standard key commands. Duh. My bad. Hahaha. Ctr+S should still be save though, instead of Shift+S, but I suppose I can change it, carry on. :D

Let me just say that "My Dog Tulip" looks fantastic! The color design and the linework are really beautiful. It's has to be tough to stay "on model" with work like that. It sort of reminds me of Studio Ghibli's "My Neighbors the Yamadas."
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Let me just say that "My Dog Tulip" looks fantastic! The color design and the linework are really beautiful. It's has to be tough to stay "on model" with work like that.
Thanks. My wife. Sandra, does everything in color -- I couldn't get even close to it (and I've tried!). You are right about staying on model being hard and most of the time I don't but few will ever notice; it gets lost in the jitters. :)
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Paul,

Well, your wife is great then. I wish I had that kind of color sense.

I've noticed a few times, while looking at the staff of a bunch of different animation houses, that women are the predominant color checkers. Us guys have dog eyes most of the time. :lol:

When will that film be released (when it's finished, I know)? You've got some A=list actors and talent working on that thing! :mrgreen:
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Heh, funny, I haven't even thought about the copy - paste thing... I've gotten so used to using the brush cutting & stamping tools that I don't even think about it. :-)

Actually, I notice in my TVP that Ctrll-C and Ctrl-V *are* configured as copy and paste... but I didn't set them that way, as far as I can recall. *shrug*
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Idragosani,

Yes, it has all been cleared up to my chagrin. :)

The ALT key still needs to be available for shortcuts, though. Along with Ctrl+Shift, and modifier keys+number key combinations.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

default keys to "Save" is Shift+S, to "Close" Shift+W, to "Quit" Shift+Q.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are configured to Copy/Paste selected frame(s) in the timeline.

I think "Alt" is reserved for panning (LMB) or Zooming (RMB) in the project preview.