Lost my dongle. Can I buy a new one?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Niwi

Lost my dongle. Can I buy a new one?

Post by Niwi »

I bought TVPaint on a student licence about a year ago. I still have the dongle#, cd and cdcover but I lost the dongle. Am I basically screwed to buy a new one now or is there a possibility to get a new dongle at reduced costs to buying a complete new set?
Elodie

Re: Lost my dongle. Can I buy a new one?

Post by Elodie »

I've answered you by pm ^^
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I don't want to steal anyone's thread, but we are traveling to Italy in March....for 3 months...so I have to take my tablet, dongle and TVP. If something should happen to the dongle...what would I be looking at? Buying the software all over again? Thanks.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Be reasured, Italians are not thieves or mafiosi, your dongle is safe :D Keep your dongle somewhere you know you won't lose it (on a key ring, for example)

TVP Animation's users have to know we don't replace lost dongles any more (only broken one), because a dongle is an identity (with it, we can know who you are, your history about problems, updates etc...). We will write this in big red letters on the website and on the manual, cause there is too much people who ask us "can I have a new dongle ?"

So, everybody, keep preciously your dongle, cause we can't replace the lost ones !
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

So the answer is: I would have to pay for a complete new software license, after having already bought it and not only for the physical (lost) dongle.
And as a second, you only have our dongle-numbers stored and not our names with additional information in your database ? - can't believe it.
Refering to our names it should be easy to replace a dongle and feed the database with corrected data.

Of course one should pay for the administration expense and for the dongle as material as a fix.

I don't know one person who hasn't lost keys in real life (even more as one gets older) so that's perhaps not a so good idea to attach the dongle to your car (or whatever) keys.

Post by Sierra Rose »

I don't think Italians are thieves...my daughter-in-law is an Italian. We like her a lot and intend to keep her and my half-Italian grandson,. :D

It's not that we wouldn't use caution. But at home the dongle never moves from the computer so we don't worry about losing it. When traveling, things can happen, that's all.
Last edited by Sierra Rose on 19 Feb 2009, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Klaus Hoefs

Post by Klaus Hoefs »

Elodie, I don't think this is too smart.

If loosing a dongle I still would own the license. I just would have to get the app to run. So this would be to ask a 2nd-semester tech informatic student to program a new dongle (which is easy), or to support the crack sites (which I really would hate).

Nice would be to get a new dongle directly from TVP for a reasonable price - so everybody would be happy: customer and TVP.

Post by Elodie »

In fact, replace a dongle is more complicated than you think.

First, in the past, we have changed lost dongles several times, but these "lost dongle" weren't so lost after all... (If you understand what I mean).

We really understand that it's hard to accept for you, but at the moment, we can't do that (but we are looking for a better solution).
Sierra K Rose wrote:I don't think Italians are thieves...my daughter-in-law is an Italian. We like her a lot and intend to keep her and my half-Italian grandson,. :D
I reasure you, I was joking of course :D (Event though, my boyfriend gets italian's origins and I'm sure he could be a great mafioso :mrgreen: )
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

NLE Sony-Vegas has no dongle, just an ID number that matches one's computer... of course, there the biggest gripe is that no one can alternate their work between home and work or laptop computers. In those cases people have been forced to buy two licenses. What I like about that system is that I don't have to even worry about forgetting and loosing my ID number. All I need to do when it comes time to upgrade is to go to my account on the Sony website and find all my Sony ID numbers listed under my name.

Perhaps a solution, far from ideal but what is ideal, would be to offer everyone a choice between the two: either buy into a dongle system and pay all over again if dongle gets lost, or pay for two licenses (or just one). When it comes to selling and replacing one's computer, Sony has a way to deal with that too, directly with the license holder.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Do you mean if we had a fire, earth quake, flood...all very possible in our neck of the woods... we wouldn't be able to replace the dongle?

This seems like a cruel policy on your part and I'm surprised because everything else with TV Paint has been so customer friendly.
In such extreme cases, we use to support customers :)

But, if it's "only lost" without more explanations than "I lost it, believe me ...", well it's more difficult.

- - - - - -

Italian are very good at Football/Soccer, btw ;)

Perhaps a solution, far from ideal but what is ideal, would be to offer everyone a choice between the two: either buy into a dongle system and pay all over again if dongle gets lost, or pay for two licenses (or just one). When it comes to selling and replacing one's computer, Sony has a way to deal with that too, directly with the license holder.
We have to think about it for the future. Any suggestion is welcome.
Fabrice Debarge
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Italian are very good at Football/Soccer, btw
Also I love Italian cooking. We've been using Rosetta Stone to learn Italian (miraculous software BTW). I hope I can read the cookbooks!

Thanks about the dongle. The need for a dongle in the first place is due to software theft...so I can understand your need to protect yourselves from such people.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Italian are very good at Football/Soccer, btw ;)
They aren't so shabby at stealing either; I was there twice and each time something was stolen from me. My sons got robbed several times when living there and there are few people I have met who have not had the experience when traveling through Italy... Italians are well aware of this reputation so you might feel like saying, "But not all Italians are the same and thieves are everywhere" and yeah, yeah, so now that I've already said it, I have spared you the trouble. But I haven't heard yet of a dongle being stolen from someone in Italy ... :)
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

But I haven't heard yet of a dongle being stolen from someone in Italy ... :)
Well that's comforting, thanks.
More probably it would be me losing it....sometimes I am forgetful in my old age.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Put in on a necklace... To have USB jewel i's a new fashion :mrgreen:
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Elodie wrote:Put in on a necklace... To have USB jewel i's a new fashion :mrgreen:
Heh heh. And wear a DVD disk like a big medallion. :lol:
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro