TVPaint 8.5 works on Linux

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
wsippel

TVPaint 8.5 works on Linux

Post by wsippel »

Hey guys, hey Sebastien (remember me? ;) )

Just wanted to tell everyone potentially interested that TVPaint Animation Pro 8.5 seems to work perfectly on Linux. Finally. This seems to be the first version that works since 2003 (Aura 2.5b), and it works better than ever. Neither Mirage nor the first versions of TVpaint worked. I didn't notice any problems so far with the demo. I tested with the most recent release of Wine, release 0.9.43.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Hi wsippel,
We have never test it on Linux with Wine. So we are glad to know that it perfectly work on Linux.
Thanks
Ex TVPaint Team
wsippel

Post by wsippel »

Well, there's at least one caveat: the dongle wouldn't work I think. Network licensing should work, though, but I obviously can't test it.
electro-box

Post by electro-box »

A linux version is so good and as tvp is for mac osx also (a bsd linux like) I don't think porting on linux it's so hard.

Now the problem is the marketing side, do you think there is enough bucks to win for a tvp linux request to tvp team bring time to work on ?

Linux is by far the best os for pro on pc computer, windows vista is in many opinion an in between from xp to next microsoft os.

I think gamers and familly will stay on windows but pro who want robust tools migrating yo linux in next years, if the majors company like autodesk, adobe, avid, etc jump into linux, no doubt others will follow and changing market side for pro...

Fro now pro stay on xp as opengl is 30% less power on vista than xp. CPU and memory managing on vista is different, vista get more memory and use more cpu with this 'caching' memory swapping techs.
CG community :: www.tdt3d.com
shokunin76

TVPAINT on linux

Post by shokunin76 »

I would love TVPaint to work on linux, I own a mirage copy, so I run it on Xp, and its good but every year I see more posibilites offered by linux community, like Ubuntu studio for example, and I wish it would be possible to have such great soft to work on linus OS, I love all people effforts trying to make use of software for people for free like inkscape for exp. , taking to the account companies as adobe try to dominate market and make mcdonald out of design, so please port tvpaint to linux and i will switch from mirage
Satrip

Re: TVPaint 8.5 works on Linux

Post by Satrip »

I agree that a Linux adaptation would be a GREAT thing !!! ^^

I've tried with WINE it seems to work but as you said the usb dongle is not recognized, so actually it doesn't work :(

Please do what you can for it..
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

A native Linux version would be a great thing indeed.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Gravin

Post by Gravin »

Limitations based on needing to run software that will not run on *nix is the only reason I even own a windows license. Its a shame so few software developers take the *nix platform seriously outside of maybe OS X. I guess the idea that so much of the Linux platform is offered for free might be discouraging for developers who work hard on software that they have to get compensation for to live. If there was a marked improvement in performance and wider base of compatibility among software giants (adobe, autodesk, etc) I think I would pay premium for a linux platform version of high grade production software like TVP.

Does anyone know if Plastic Animation Paper ever released a decent version of there application on Linux?

~Curt
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

The latest version of PAP has always been available for Linux... it's just not available for OSX yet. You still need another program for coloring and compositing, though.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Limitations based on needing to run software that will not run on *nix is the only reason I even own a windows license. Its a shame so few software developers take the *nix platform seriously outside of maybe OS X. I guess the idea that so much of the Linux platform is offered for free might be discouraging for developers who work hard on software that they have to get compensation for to live. If there was a marked improvement in performance and wider base of compatibility among software giants (adobe, autodesk, etc) I think I would pay premium for a linux platform version of high grade production software like TVP.
~Curt
Interesting point of view.

I have one question though :
If Photoshop, 3DSmax, etc ... were working on Linux, what would be the reaction of the Linux community ?
Most of the softwares are free on Linux (Gimp, Blender, ...). So would the Linux community accept to pay for the Adobe and Autodesk softwares ?
I'm really curious about this.
Fabrice Debarge
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Commercial High-end 3D animation tools like Maya, Houdini, etc, are already available on Linux.

Graphics apps like PhotoShop and Illustrator would be welcome on Linux, too, I am sure. The Gimp and Inkscape, while good programs, still pale in comparison to what the Adobe products can do.

The only commercial 2D animation software availale on Linux are Plastic Animation Paper and Anime Studio (aka Moho). PAP doesn't compare to TVPaint, IMHO, as it does not do compositing or 2D video. Anime Studio is for vector animation only (ala ToonBoom but better focused on character animation).
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

The story here is interesting : http://www.linux.com/feature/114421/

I wonder how many licenses they have sold. :?:
Fabrice Debarge
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Dunno... while I use Anime Studio Pro on Windows these days, I originally used it on Linux back in the Moho days.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Its a shame so few software developers take the *nix platform seriously.
Today, Linux is a very mature OS, has a big support, and is easy to develop.

The problem comes from the license type : the GPL license, in opposite of BSD, does not allow a commercial use of the product, and force the result to be GPL too.
GPL does not only mean open source, but also free for all. It's "contagious".

All the utilities and libraries used on Linux can not be used inside a commercial product, or in a very complicated and limited way (if we don't want to change our economical model, of course)
The ffmpeg library is a good example : we can use two licenses type : GPL and L-GPL which are limiting the functionalities.

Commercial development on Linux requires a lot of care in order not to break the GPL (or L-GPL) licenses. The development, easy at the beginning, may become a nightmare quickly.

In our opinion, that's the reason why there no more big commercial products on Linux.
Fabrice Debarge
mylo grenalyn mayel

Post by mylo grenalyn mayel »

I have one question though :
If Photoshop, 3DSmax, etc ... were working on Linux, what would be the reaction of the Linux community ?
Most of the softwares are free on Linux (Gimp, Blender, ...). So would the Linux community accept to pay for the Adobe and Autodesk softwares ?
I'm really curious about this.
Some people will pay. Because most of the free softwares/open source are not used at the workplace or are not the "standard" or so powerful.
For exemple : I'm working on Autodesk Maya (works on Linux, fortunately ^^)... I can't loose time to learn & work with others 3D softs not used at the workplace...

I think if the most important professionals softwares (Adobe products, 3D softwares, etc...) will be available on a native Linux version, most of the companies goes on Linux system and so... users too.

PS : Sorry for my bad english.

Pour résumer : c'est le serpent qui se mord la queue : personne ne veut développer sous Linux, car c'est un 'petit' marché, donc on attend plus de monde pour sortir son soft, donc les utilisateurs se retrouvent bloqués en 'Dual Boot', et du coup... il ne se passe rien !! (après bien-sur, je comprend le risque commercial qu'il existe... mais c'est bien triste comme situation, vraiment dommage).
De plus : il est faux de penser que tous les Linuxiens sont des personnes avides uniquement de softs gratuits, de logiciels open source, etc.. Linux est un OS qui se démocratise de plus en plus, et donc, les utilisateurs et leurs besoins ressemblent de plus en plus à ce qu'il se passe sur les autres OS.
Et puis cela est vrai pour n'importe quel OS : promouvoir aujourd'hui son soft au niveau des entreprises, c'est s'assurer pour demain de nouveaux et nombreux utilisateurs !

Dans tous les cas : longue vie à TVPaint !!