Some simple perspective and scale brushes

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
NickA

Some simple perspective and scale brushes

Post by NickA »

Hi Everyone

Here is a simple tool bin that contians a 90 degree triangle and some lines marked in 5, 10 and 15 point increments.

I've been working through the book Vanishing point by Jason Cheeseman-Myer to learn some perspective tricks.

Up until today I've been using plastic triangles and rulers directly on my Cintiq. I decided to make these brushes to protect it.
Attachments
Angle and Scale.tvpx
(350.5 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Last edited by NickA on 24 Sep 2009, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Elodie

Re: Some simple perspective and scale brushes

Post by Elodie »

Thanks a lot NickA :D

Could you please put an example of those brushes ?
NickA

Post by NickA »

Sure. It's just some simple cut brush images that I use to find angles and proportions. I use the z key to change the size of them and the c key to rotate. See image below.
Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
NickA

Post by NickA »

Here is the only scene I've bothered to fully render and colour from that book (so far). It's the last exercise from the 2 pt perspective chapter. This was made prior to me making this tool bin, using real plastic rulers and triangles.
Attachments
final monkey colour.jpg
Last edited by NickA on 24 Sep 2009, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Nice. I did something similar by googling for images of a protractor and then cutbrushed it so I can make a new layer and stamp it down then draw guidelines from it.

There's a nice image of a 360° protractor with transparancy at wikipedia that makes a perfect cutbrush: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protractor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some other nice perspective tutorials in video:

Scott Robertson
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/ ... -Robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carl Dobsky
http://media.massiveblack.com/downloads.html#carl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click on "images" for examples
There's no place like ~/
NickA

Post by NickA »

That's a very nice protractor :D. Yea, I also do all my cutbrush guidelines on a seperate layer as well. I find it handy to turn down the layer opacity once I've put them down.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Yeah same here, I draw everything in full opacity on several layers one for each color and turn the layer down and up when I need it. Would be nice to have layer groups.

btw the protractor image is an SVG (Vector) so you can scale it up in your browser as large as you need it without pixelation before cutting it.
There's no place like ~/
NickA

Post by NickA »

Great, how do you convert it? I had to use inkscape. Here's a .png copy for anyone who wants it (public domain).
Attachments
Protractor.png
KenC

Post by KenC »

I use Opera browser, it displays svg natively so all I did was display the image in the browser ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... actor1.svg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) scale the page up (Control+/-) and then right click copy to clipboard. Then in TVpaint I use new layer from clipboard. I magic wand select to cut out the protractor and cutbrush it.
There's no place like ~/