Intuos4

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Intuos4

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You are welcome. I think it more depends on one's style of drawing if this is a necessary expense -- and not even too necessary for me; perhaps more in the realm of luxury. But considering that I spend so many hours at it, why not have the best?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
radams6

Post by radams6 »

Hi Paul, & All,

You are definately worth every penny...and the pampering :) Paul.

Finally back, how are things with everyone?

Touch base later,

Cheers,
Ray Adams

Visual FX Supervisor
R Creative Touch
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Thanks fo all the informations… it'll be very usefull to me in the next days…

I'm a bit surprise by your feeling for the XL format…
I formerly worked with a A 3 (a very long time ago) and I was disturbed (and a bit wirst-tired) by all that surface to cover !…
since I put my choice on A5 format… which was Ok for drawing… to me
…but, maybe it's not the same nowadays… I'd better test it to know if XL is not the most suitable yet !…

The result after having read this thread, is that I'll probably change my mind (that was set on a"M" size) for - at least - a "L " (A4) size…
(even more money :twisted: )

Is the rough surface disturbing for a long time ? how long doest it takes to go along with it ?

is it really gritty ? (kind of a pen eater ?)

(by the way… I Thank you all for the high level of most of the threads on this forum… reading that guys worked for Disney, or make such talentuous
cartoons (animations) as Paul or Nethery, mad juul, etc… do !
… I'm discovering all these talents bit a bit… day by day… it's highly inspiring, really !)

what a great place !
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Is the rough surface disturbing for a long time ? how long doest it takes to go along with it ?

is it really gritty ? (kind of a pen eater ?)
That rough surface is a bit of a non-improvement in my opinion. It feels good for about a week or so (depending on how much you use the tablet ) but after that it's worn off. For as long as the surface is rough it eats away at you nibs quite quickly. After that, and when the rough surface is worn off, your nibs stay better for longer time.

That XL format works for me but you should use the format that you are comfortable with, I think... I do love the extra range in pressure sensitivity though, especially when I use the tablet to draw with. If you going to use it for graphic vector applications, like illustrator or flash, you might as well use the Intuos3, or Intuos2 for that matter. But when I'm drawing in TVP or Photoshop I really notice the difference with the Intuos3
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Thanks's a lot… I've got to test the big one before to make a decision !
… I just went on your website… "bravo"!… are you all so telentuous on this forum ?
(I'll never be brave enough to put my stuff on line here)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

And that's a shame, because you are also really gifted, Chatbraque ! :D

Now you have an export button : no excuses anymore :wink:
Byron

Post by Byron »

Sewie wrote:That rough surface is a bit of a non-improvement in my opinion. It feels good for about a week or so (depending on how much you use the tablet ) but after that it's worn off.
Ah - that would be the same as the overlay I once bought (from Wacom) for my Intious3. Felt good for quite a short time before it had worn smooth, and it wasn't cheap either. Shame about that. I make do with a sheet of paper or card Blu-Tacked to my tablet now - but a more permanent solution would be nice. I find the shiny standard coating far too slippery.
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Elodie wrote:And that's a shame, because you are also really gifted, Chatbraque ! :D
:oops:
Elodie wrote:Now you have an export button : no excuses anymore :wink:
:oops:
Wait, wait… it's not only a matter of finding buttons… you've got to draw before :D

(Well !… were is that "export button", again ?)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

The are not really a button export, you will find it into "Fichier" => "Exporter..."
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Elodie wrote:The are not really a button export..."
Hé ! hé!… :D
donbartolo

Post by donbartolo »

I just wanted to tell that i have an intuos 4 medium for almost a year now, and that 's a wonderful object!
I wasn't that crazy about the intuos 3: you slide to easily on the surface and it feels really "plastic".

I even prefere it 1000 times above my cintiq. (also better for your back, you're looking to your monitor instead of the table)

And the combination with tvpaint is really nice once the buttons are programmed (especially the rotation wheel for zooming in and out)

The only sad thing about that tablet comparing to the previous versions, is that the nibs must be replaced frequentely. My surface coversheet must also be changed after a year of use. But you can find everything on the wacom store. ( really fast delivery and not that expensive after all)

I also bought a thinner version from the pen, which really makes a difference in weight. Really happy i did.
Last edited by donbartolo on 02 Sep 2010, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Just to say that I just received my Intuos4 "M" (yesterday morning)…
It's a great improvement since my old intuos 2…
what a precision and smoothness !
I'm really fascinated :D
(and happy too… you can never tell with technology, but it seems to be a "completion")

I have'nt had time to see how to program the buttons… is it easy to do ?
… please, where can I find a tuto or something ?
donbartolo

Post by donbartolo »

It's very intuitive once the configuration panel open from wacom.
I think i just read the manuel delivered with the intuos.

What's really cool is that every application can have it's own button values.

Don't forget to take a close look to the tvpaint shortcut's for matching your needs (i remember that i had to search a bit for making zoom in/out matching with the rotation wheel.)

It's very important also to caliber the surface of your tablet and monitor. (very easy also with the wacom config panel )

Give every type of nib a try. They all feel different.

Don't be scared by the lines that will appear on the surface. It will get worser and worser. But as long as you don't use a dammaged nib that can carve the surface, there will be no problem in using the tablet. :)

Oohw, by the way: i didn't had the problem for a long time now, but i used to have problems with the wacom pilot. It sometimes just crashed on the startup of my computer. The only way i found to solve the problem was to export my 'preferences' file (with my wacom settings), than delete the active one, and reimport it. SO you don't need to uninstall the pilot, it's senseless. (and you will loose your preferences!)
Last edited by donbartolo on 02 Sep 2010, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Thank you…

//édité//

Yes the buttons are stiff (particularly one of them on my tablett)…
the rotate button is allright, except for the one way direction of the selection…
… it would have been great to be able to go down AND up…
… at least I did imput twice "the same functions" : zoom… rotate… zoom… rotate…

… but I guess thet I'm too much involved in the "clavier" shortcuts to care longer about it

the pen is great !
Last edited by chatbraque on 06 Sep 2010, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Byron

Post by Byron »

donbartolo wrote:I wasn't that crazy about the intuos 3: you slide to easily on the surface and it feels really "plastic".
Simple and cost free solution, for any other Intuos3 users - take a Cornflakes packet (or any other reasonably large thin cardboard packaging) and cut out a rectangle to match the size of your tablet's drawing area. Use four small blobs of BluTac to attach the cardboard to the tablet (with the rough unprinted side facing up), and use in conjunction with the Wacom felt nib. For me, this makes a perfect drawing surface. I need to replace it periodically (every month or so), but Cornflakes packets are in plentiful supply!

:)