visual layer reference

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
hilere

visual layer reference

Post by hilere »

It is not the first time, and it surely will not be the last, but for the so-manieth time I was drawing on the wrong layer. (cleaning on the layer of my rough)

So I was wondering if it would be interesting to have the option to have the layer color or name visible in your drawing project window. Maybe a little square or dot in the upper left corner. Just as a visual reminder of what layer you're working on.
Sewie

Re: visual layer reference

Post by Sewie »

I agree. Some visual reference would be good.
I make the same mistake very often.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Do you know the "Zoom: Shake" command, by default I think it's bound to the [a] key.

Try it, and you'll find you will use it almost constantly before drawing something.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Byron

Post by Byron »

I've got a couple of keys set up with compound shortcuts (a great feature in TVP) - so that clicking one of the keys moves up a layer and shakes the image and another key moves down a layer and shakes the image - this (in addition to the single 'zoom shake' key) means it's possible for me to work quite a lot of the time with the layers panel hidden.

I do still draw on the wrong layer sometimes though - but that's good old fashioned human error!
Last edited by Byron on 12 Oct 2010, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

you also have "=" that will show you the current layer only.
hilere

Post by hilere »

Do you know the "Zoom: Shake" command, by default I think it's bound to the [a] key.
DAMNN!!!! this is a good feature. Sure I'll use it constantly (especially when I'm very very old, haha).

This covers my problem completely. Never too old to learn. Thanks.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Byron wrote:I've got a couple of keys set up with compound shortcuts (a great feature in TVP) - so that clicking one of the keys moves up a layer and shakes the image and another key moves down a layer and shakes the image - this (in addition to the single 'zoom shake' key) means it's possible for me to work quite a lot of the time with the layers panel hidden.

I do still draw on the wrong layer sometimes though - but that's good old fashioned human error!
That's a great tip! Thanks.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

DAMNN!!!! this is a good feature. Sure I'll use it constantly (especially when I'm very very old, haha).
:mrgreen: I've been working this way for many, many years, which makes me very, very old, so you are right. :mrgreen:
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Byron wrote:... clicking one of the keys moves up a layer and shakes the image and another key moves down a layer and shakes the image...
That's a new one on me! Added Zoom:shake to my up and down arrow shortcuts - works perfectly, thanks.

Sven
Last edited by Svengali on 13 Oct 2010, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Experimenting further, I inserted Layer:Toggle Display All, before and after Zoom:shake...

Up key = Layer:Go Up +Layer:Toggle Display All +Zoom:Shake +Layer:Toggle Display All
Down key = Layer:Go Down +Layer:Toggle Display All +Zoom:Shake +Layer:Toggle Display All

It seems to make it even clearer what is actually drawn on the current layer.

Sven
Byron

Post by Byron »

I'll try that, thanks. :)
toonybrain

Post by toonybrain »

I don't understand any of this conversation except the first entry . . . :O

What is "zoom:shake"? How do I do this? I've seen reference to this exuberance-evoking option before, but alas, I know naught . . . :(
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

toonybrain wrote: What is "zoom:shake"? How do I do this? I've seen reference to this exuberance-evoking option before, but alas, I know naught . . . :(
press your [A] key (if you have a keyboard), and it should "shake" the current layer in the preview window. 8)
chatbraque

Post by chatbraque »

Byron wrote:I've got a couple of keys set up with compound shortcuts (a great feature in TVP)
I'm not abble to remember how to get a "compound shortcut" would you be kind and refresh my mind please ?
( as long as I've ever been able to do it before ) I guess i can do it on a button, nothing more … and shortcuts are more efficients…
so, please, what's the trick again ?

THX

//édité //

Never mind, I guess I get it… first, I created a new panel… with 2 functions… first one : "layer up" , second one : " zoom shake"…
… after that, the trick is only to link this button to a key via the "configure keyboard" ??… ain't it ?

Done !… well, actually, it works allwright… will be very helpfull !
if there is another way, please, let me know… THX

(Im going to use it when I'm old ;o))

Toonybrain : If you're interested, I can post a new message with a few screenshots (as a tutorial)… let me know
Byron

Post by Byron »

To create a 'compound shortcut':

In the keyboard shortcuts panel, select your shortcut key in the left pane, then select the first action in the right pane and hit Assign. Next, select your second action and then whilst holding Ctrl hit Assign again.