Lost my dongle. Can I buy a new one?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Lost my dongle. Can I buy a new one?

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

As I said, the people at Sony seem to be reasonably flexible in this matter. They allow for such misfortunes and my guess is that through experience they have discovered that there are few enough attempts to abuse the system that it warrants this sort of flexibility. I am sure the rare cases of cheats make up for the multitude rewards of happy customers. But you do have a point that the dongle system has the advantage of being able to move from machine to machine. I am hoping that TVP might be able to show some flexibility in this case as well -- to me this fellow seems pretty genuine (but who knows, I'm gullible this way too). It's their business and I regret mentioning this. :roll:
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
justintonation

Post by justintonation »

Hooray !

The person who found my dongle ended up handing it into my college admin. I have my dongle and a usb memory stick back again!

I am very lucky, defintely time to get it insured. Just glad I can get back to animating with my favourite animation app.

Justin
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Pixologic, makers of ZBrush, have an interesting way of handling copy protection that mostly works.

When you buy ZBrush, you pay a one-time purchase price (reasonable amount). After that, any upgrades are free (at least they have been so far during their ten year existence). The company's financial success depends on a Ponzi-like-scheme: an every-expanding user base attracted by their top quality, innovative product which benefits from high profile, industry users like Weta Productions in NZ, an evangelistic user-base of game artists and Hollywood special-FX and 3d animators, and second-to-none tech support and highly active user forum.

There is a registration process that involves filling in an on-line form and exchanging emails to acquire a unique serial number and a one-use-only installation code which works very well (almost every time). One unique part of the software is that it enables the user to deactivate it on the machine where it was first installed, then reactivate it on another machine, thus allowing one license to be used on ANY machine (one machine at a time).

On request Pixologic will also allow a single license to be activated once more, on a second, different machine simultaneously, with the limitation that the two copies not be used on both machines at the same time. This is especially considerate for those users who use the software both at their job and at home.

Upgrades, which happen every year or two, are a bit of a nightmare precisely because (a) upgrades are free to all current owners of the software, (b) upon release, EVERYBODY tries to download and install their free upgrades in a frantic stampede, swamping Pixologic's servers, and complicated by user-generated errors typing in long serial numbers and installation codes and not following instructions. But eventually it all gets sorted out and in the end, almost to a man (or woman), the users are unbelievably happy.

And no lost dongles.

Sven
greeble

Post by greeble »

I had mine stolen from a hotel room 2 years ago.
Needless to say I have spent thousands on new software but in principal will not buy a new licences for tvp (even though it is the best solution for many jobs)
I find it amusing how few people have heard or bought tvp especially compared to zbrush ( Iknow they are very different) which has become a high profile industry standard.
Someone here mention a bad taste in their mouth , I totally agree. You don't get respect or loyalty by behaving like a school-yard bully.
Pixelogic have proved that for sure.
Upgrades should be inexpensive and support should be 'support'.
Dongles are an antiquated idea that do not work in practise, I am so glad I don't need one for toon boom. I remember a studio I worked at was using a toon boom dongle solution, funny how they would go missing, whole departments were left twiddling their thumbs, we all suspected who took them, but that didn't help us or the studio.
I have upgraded Sony Vegas at every release as they have a great upgrad path, awesome support and a hassle free registration process.
Sequential offender
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Svengali wrote:Pixologic, makers of ZBrush, have an interesting way of handling copy protection that mostly works.

When you buy ZBrush, you pay a one-time purchase price (reasonable amount). After that, any upgrades are free (at least they have been so far during their ten year existence). The company's financial success depends on a Ponzi-like-scheme: an every-expanding user base attracted by their top quality, innovative product which benefits from high profile, industry users like Weta Productions in NZ, an evangelistic user-base of game artists and Hollywood special-FX and 3d animators, and second-to-none tech support and highly active user forum.

There is a registration process that involves filling in an on-line form and exchanging emails to acquire a unique serial number and a one-use-only installation code which works very well (almost every time). One unique part of the software is that it enables the user to deactivate it on the machine where it was first installed, then reactivate it on another machine, thus allowing one license to be used on ANY machine (one machine at a time).

On request Pixologic will also allow a single license to be activated once more, on a second, different machine simultaneously, with the limitation that the two copies not be used on both machines at the same time. This is especially considerate for those users who use the software both at their job and at home.

Upgrades, which happen every year or two, are a bit of a nightmare precisely because (a) upgrades are free to all current owners of the software, (b) upon release, EVERYBODY tries to download and install their free upgrades in a frantic stampede, swamping Pixologic's servers, and complicated by user-generated errors typing in long serial numbers and installation codes and not following instructions. But eventually it all gets sorted out and in the end, almost to a man (or woman), the users are unbelievably happy.

And no lost dongles.

Sven
This actually does sound like a much better solution then the current dongle system, which is indeed rather vulnerable for loss and theft.
The current dongle system also creates that extra little hurdle for people to buy the program... having to wait for that physical key in the mail and i know students that consider a purchase sometimes hesitate when they learn about this.

I wonder wether such a system has ever bin considered? It could mean increased sales numbers.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I have upgraded Sony Vegas at every release as they have a great upgrad path, awesome support and a hassle free registration process.
I second this and with Sony Vegas you don't even have to be afraid of loosing your registration code -- if you do (and who hasn't?) you can go into your account and find a tidy list of all the products you have bought and your registration code next to it.

BTW, I don't understand people who don't like to pay for upgrades... I get paid for my work and when I don't I get very upset.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet