Copy/Paste Blur

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
jump

Copy/Paste Blur

Post by jump »

Hello,

Perhaps someone can help me with this blurring issue. Drawing in the demo version, if I copy a drawing and past it in somewhere the pasted version appears blurry- is there a way to correct for that? The blurring is subtle but noticeable.
Fabrice

Re: Copy/Paste Blur

Post by Fabrice »

Hello Jump,

Welcome in the TVPaint forum. :)

If you are copying/pasting with a custombrush, you should be able to change the Smooth option (none, medium and best), as shown below :
when_using_a_custombrush_.png
when_using_a_custombrush_.png (11.1 KiB) Viewed 30329 times
when_using_a_custombrush.png
when_using_a_custombrush.png (20.63 KiB) Viewed 30329 times
If you are using the transform tool, there is the AAliasing option to change in the same way.
Also, please try to use integer values (nothing after the coma), as shown below.
when_using_the_transform_tool.png
when_using_the_transform_tool.png (31.06 KiB) Viewed 30329 times
Fabrice Debarge
jump

Post by jump »

Whoa, that was quick... thanks a lot.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

jump wrote:Whoa, that was quick... thanks a lot.
Yes, our software is our passion, so we are used to answer as fast as possible when someone is interested in it.
With the time you will see that this community will become a part of your own familly. :)
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

Also if you are using the cut-brush tool to paste, make sure that paper texture is off, otherwise it will apply texture on texture and you will get a duller copy of the same drawing - happened to me a lot before I figured it out - by the way - its a note for TVP developers also...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Soom wrote: its a note for TVP developers also...
ok, but how can we know if you will use the brush to move a part of an image or to create a drawing tool which will use the paper ...
Burshes have many way to be used ...
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

Fabrice wrote:
Soom wrote: its a note for TVP developers also...
ok, but how can we know if you will use the brush to move a part of an image or to create a drawing tool which will use the paper ...
Burshes have many way to be used ...
Yep - that's why we need a proper copy/paste function...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Soom wrote:Yep - that's why we need a proper copy/paste function...
What do you mean exactly ?

There are already copy / paste function, for instances, layers, FX, brushes etc... You can even use the Select tool and copy your selection to a layer.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Elodie wrote:
There are already copy / paste function, for instances, layers, FX, brushes etc... You can even use the Select tool and copy your selection to a layer.
There were numerous requests about this copy/paste function. Currently there is no way to simply copy a selection and paste it on another frame of your choice. The action should be very simple - 1. Select part of drawing, 2. Ctrl C, 3. Ctrl V - thats it! The stamp tool and the copy to new layer etc, they are all workarounds, that require more manipulations than really needed.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Ok, I understand better now =)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

But, well, in that case, use the custom brush and use the "stamp in place button". Yes, it's a CTRL C / CTRL V, but the result is the same and it takes the same time =)
Soom

Post by Soom »

Elodie wrote:But, well, in that case, use the custom brush and use the "stamp in place button". Yes, it's a CTRL C / CTRL V, but the result is the same and it takes the same time =)
But Elodie, we come back again to same issue that I mentioned in the start: Let's follow the procedure of copy/pasting with custom-brush:
1. Select the cut-brush tool.
2. Make selection.
3. If you don't want to loose the drawing you are cutting, click Undo (in case the brush is set to Cut by default)
4. Now DON'T FORGET to turn off the paper texture, if it's on (and it's usually on in my case). If you forget, the pasted picture will not be the same.
5. Select the frame you want to paste to.
6. Go to Brush menu again, find the "Stamp in place button", which is usually somewhere far out of the visible interface, and click it. And I couldn't even find shortcut for it, so there is no way to use keyboard.
7. Select your normal drawing brush again to continue working.

Now lets see how it works with copy/paste:
1. Select selection tool
2. Make selection
3. CTRL C
4. Select the frame you want to paste to.
5. CTRL V

tats it...

Anyway - how many people actually use the cut brush to immediately draw with it? I think most people use it for copy-pasting anyway...?
Byron

Post by Byron »

I like the cut brush way, it's somehow less clinical than copy/paste. I can see how someone who is working to a deadline might want to speed up the process though.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Soom wrote:
Elodie wrote:
There were numerous requests about this copy/paste function. Currently there is no way to simply copy a selection and paste it on another frame of your choice. The action should be very simple - 1. Select part of drawing, 2. Ctrl C, 3. Ctrl V - thats it! The stamp tool and the copy to new layer etc, they are all workarounds, that require more manipulations than really needed.
I can see the need for simple copy & paste : " 1. Select part of drawing, 2. Ctrl C, 3. Ctrl V - thats it!" . That would be useful. Especially for some things involving single image illustration that would be easiest, but I find that for animation I prefer Select -- Copy or Cut To New Layer -- then Transform or reposition that portion of the image. Having a new "cel" layer to work with is easier for me to keep track of the different elements.
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 05 Sep 2011, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote: If you are using the transform tool, there is the AAliasing option to change in the same way.
Also, please try to use integer values (nothing after the coma), as shown below.

I have learned something new: all this time I did not understand this . (i.e. "use integer values (nothing after the coma)") Did I miss that in the User Manual or does it need to be added to the User Manual ?

However, most times when using Transform or Warp it is impossible to make the X or Y positioning precisely an integer value with nothing after the comma. Also when using Transform it is often not practical to keep Angle set precisely to 0∘, 90∘ , 180∘, or 270∘.

But I should say that I don't usually notice any blurring until I have transformed something several times . Just transforming once or twice to adjust size or angle on a drawing doesn't seem to have noticeable blurring.
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 05 Sep 2011, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.