"memory"

To talk about anything else
Paul Fierlinger

Re: "memory"

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

For example when I was kindergarten and a primary school age, I was always terrified for Roman stone statues and plaster figures. Because it showed only the whites of eyes, no iris.

In our culture, iris means "a soul in body = alive". No iris eyes means "the dead" or "a ghastly apparition".
Maybe that is one of reason why almost Japanese Animation young character has big eyes.
This is very interesting to me -- finally the phenomenon has been explained -- not that it makes me like those bug-eyes any more, but it is important to understand how thoughts and phenomenon originate. People who interpret The Little Prince as good science fiction material because it happens on various planets are missing the entire genteel philosophical point of this children's classic. They have not done their research. They are also committing the sin of arrogance. It's like covering all the pages of the book with graffiti and then using it for toilette paper (on someone other then themselves).
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

I guess I can understand the misplaced hatred for characters with large eyes. I despise the ridiculous focus on mouth animation in western animation and the over animated gesturing in most Disney work.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

and the over animated gesturing in most Disney work.
Here, here! And when independent animators carry the squish and stretch cliche to the extreme of not being able to make a character move anywhere without this inane hoppity- loopity goofiness. All it does for them is support their laziness -- there is less to inbetween while pretending that they really know how to animate like Disney pros. Lipsynching can be the same sort of crutch, especially when done with 7 cookie-cutter mouth shapes on a still body. Add to that bug-eyes and it is throw up time again...
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

The most frustrating thing about finding work in the U.S. is that mouth animation is very much something that is sought after. "Mickey Mousing" (the practice of syncing movement to music, popular in the 40's & 50's) is derided as anachronistic and cliche but for some reason exaggerated mouth movements synced to dialog is jim dandy. I just watched 'How to Train Your Dragon' recently and it was, mostly, excellent. But the thing that bugged me the most is the distracting mouths on every single character. It's almost like if for the Japanese "the eyes are the window to the soul" the analog in American animation is "the mouth is the window to the personality". So friggin' annoying.
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

English has 19 vowels, French has 16 vowels. Japanese Vowel is ONLY 5 and slight lip action.
Vowel.png
American cartoon DIALOGUE (from Preston Blair's Animation, ASIFA Hollywood Animation Archive)

Speak loudly, over action with mouth wide open is bad manners.
Speak quietly in whisper (like Michael Jackson) is elegant style.
sharkcellar wrote:It's almost like if for the Japanese "the eyes are the window to the soul" the analog in American animation is "the mouth is the window to the personality". So friggin' annoying.
That is it !
「目は口ほどにものを言う(The eye is the mirror of the soul.)」
「口は災いの元・沈黙は金、雄弁は銀(All evil comes from the mouth / Speech is silver, silence is golden.)」

Spoiler : Edited 100820-about Bugs Eye. :
A sample, Japanese government language foundation official press→Japanese community forum topic about language.
JPN_government_chara.png
I do not like this term use "Bugs". Just call "Big eyes", what is problem ?
Last edited by ten_zero on 21 Aug 2010, 10:25, edited 5 times in total.
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

( ̄ー ̄)ニヤリ
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

My Neighbors The Yamadas and Laputa Blu-ray
http://disney-studio.jp/news/index_detail.jsp?id=1525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Written in Japanese)
Japanese Edition spec
30000000002327_s.jpg
include over dab:
 English (on Special contents), French, Germany, Chinese (Beijinese, Guong3 dung1 ua5 ) and Korean
include subtitle :
 English, French, Chinese (Beijinese, Guong3 dung1 ua5), Korean and Finnish
30000000002329_s.jpg
include over dab:
 English, Germany, Chinese (Beijinese and Taiwanese) and Korean
include subtitle :
 English, Germany, French, Beijinese and Korean
Over sea edition will be change language option and bonus contents(maybe it's not include a TV program "How to make Ghibli's the first full Digital Animation with "Toonz" Chibli limited edition" 45min).
Because EU and U.S. edition will more reasonable price than Japan edition (x2 or x3 price :x !!).

Anyway, I can not waiting for bonus storyboard(Takahata's works) contents of "Yamadas".
--------
Interview with Studio Ghibli "Yamadas made with SGI workstation and Toonz"(Written in Japanese)
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/303/303934/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/303/303959/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

RAY HARRYHAUSEN : LE TITAN DES EFFETS SPECIAUX(Sadly, I can not translate French to English)

I was watched "Jason and the Argonauts" TV program every summer vacation for kids, from my kinder garden to junior high school :)
It's really fantastic stop motion SFX animation.
sharkcellar

Post by sharkcellar »

Harryhausen was a giant.
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

DEZAKI Osamu(出崎 統), a director of "Lady Oscar - La Rose de Versailles " "COBRA" "Treasure Island" and etc., pass away on 2011.4.18.
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/entertainments ... 008-n1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;(Written in Japanese)
Wikipedia→English Français Español

With French language lyric (same translation of original Japanese language) subtitle
Spoiler : Keep close if you takes no interest in Japanese Animation :
Spanish lyric with Japanese original storyboard :

Maybe the last interview, 2009 (written in Japanese / about "Tales of Genji")
http://www.p-tina.net/interview/283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ten_zero wrote:DEZAKI Osamu(出崎 統), a director of "Lady Oscar - La Rose de Versailles " "COBRA" "Treasure Island" and etc., pass away on 2011.4.18.
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/entertainments ... 008-n1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;(Written in Japanese)
Wikipedia→English Français Español
Maybe the last interview, 2009 (written in Japanese / about "Tales of Genji")
http://www.p-tina.net/interview/283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/spoiler]
Thanks for the info. "Versailles no bara" was also well known in France.

- - - -

Glad to see you back in the forum, btw ! :)
Fabrice Debarge
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Here is "TacticeOgre" PSP PV from SQUARE ENIX FRANCE (Created by "KAMIKAZE Douga", Japan).
Spoiler : CAUTION: PEGI 12 / Youtube movie :
They use rotoscope with limited Japanese Anime.
-----
Fabrice wrote:Glad to see you back in the forum, btw ! :)
"Bonjour" again :) .
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Le Salon des livres “Le Petit Prince BD(bande dessinée)” par Joann Sfar.
LPT_FJ.jpg
Here is a Youtube movie what was live drawing event with François Morel, 2008.
Spoiler : Youtube movies :

ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Terry Gilliam's Do It Yourself Animation Show
Spoiler : include some nudity animation like "Monty python's flying circus" :
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Freddie Mercury Google Logo doodle Animation.
FirefoxScreenSnapz003.jpg
The movie can not playback my Firefox, OmniWeb, Shiira and Safari (any Web browser of Macintosh), only enable Microsoft IE8- or iGoogle and Google Chrome :(

Here is Youtube share version. I like dot animation part like Nintendo :)