Android Tablets

This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Android Tablets

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Oh, I thought you might have gone too far with your alias, but the pink hands (besides the mirrored face) were dead give aways.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

The demo was done on a Lenovo tablet. One of the few with pressure sensitivity, that's why we choose it, but the processor is really slow (an old Tegra2).

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note, also with pressure sensitivity.
The speed is much better than on the Lenovo, the processor supports Neon acceleration (TVPaint too).
The screen, though, is small, but madsjuul can tell you more about using TVPaint for real world work on the Note (Yes mads, now you can :) )

We also tested it on an old Toshiba Folio 100 tablet. It works without problem, you just have to adapt your project size/# of layers/etc.. to the limited power of the processor, like you did 5 years ago on your PC :) (And TVPaint without pressure sensitivity isn't fun...)

The lag in drawing is mostly due to the limited power of the Tegra2 processor, it is much smaller on the 'Note. The project in the demo is in full HD (1920x1080).
You obviously can't get out of a low power dual core @ 1GHz what you get from an 8 core i7 @ 3+Ghz, which incidentally uses some 80+W which would drain a tablet battery in less than 5 minutes, and burn your hands (or lap) at the same time...

Technically, it is TVPaint Pro without any limitation from our side, but you have to adapt to the (ever increasing) power of the processor of the tablets.
Well, we don't yet support the built-in cameras/mics that most tablets offer...

A release date ? *I* can't tell.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Am I the only one to notice the reflection of a face on the youtube video. It is to me a female face..............elodie?? Pardon, for I am slower than the average.
MatthewTardiff

Post by MatthewTardiff »

I'm considering selling my Asus ep121, getting a cintiq 12 for home and a Galaxy tablet for on the go. Even more seriously I'm thinking of getting the Galaxy Note because of the pressure sensitivity. I only use my Asus for tvPaint, Sketchbook and Photoshop these days but I like the mobility of standing with a client and drawing in Sketchbook or pulling out tvPaint to animate a quick idea.

I'm super excited that tvPaint will be landing on an Android Tablet.
Kathy Engelhard

Post by Kathy Engelhard »

TVPP on an Android tablet? WOW! That sounds so good! Any idea of how much longer we need to wait till you can tell us all the details?
How about just a few questions like:
Which brand tablet would it be that'll work the best as an android tablet with TVPP?
And, will TVPP be an android version only or would there be a big update to make TVPP work on win and android?

I have an Asus EP121 Slate for win 7 that works great, but not if I go somewhere with no AC power outlet.
The battery will only last maybe 4 hrs. I would go for an android tablet if the battery could last 8 hrs or more.
TVPP 10.5
HP Pavilion Elite 180t
CPU: Intel i7-920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67GHz
RAM: 24 GB (23.2 GB usable)
Storage: 4+TB
Wacom Intuos Tablet: 4L PTK-840
Kathy Engelhard

Is it the NEXUS 7 made by Asus that TVPP10 will go Android on? :P
TVPP 10.5
HP Pavilion Elite 180t
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

gardenflower wrote:Which brand tablet would it be that'll work the best as an android tablet with TVPP?
The most important is to have a pressure sensitive stylus with your tablet.
Then, you can have any tablets sizes. It depends on what you want to do with it. I think the smallest tablet with a pressure sensitive stylus is the Samsung Galaxy Note.
gardenflower wrote:And, will TVPP be an android version only or would there be a big update to make TVPP work on win and android?
I don't understand your question.
gardenflower wrote:I have an Asus EP121 Slate for win 7 that works great, but not if I go somewhere with no AC power outlet.
The battery will only last maybe 4 hrs. I would go for an android tablet if the battery could last 8 hrs or more.
It really depends on how you use TVPaint. If you use it just for little drawings or adjustment, it should be ok. But if you use it for FX and more powerfull tools, your battery will be tired more rapidly.
Kathy Engelhard

Thank you Eric for your help. I have more questions.

Which sensitive pressure tablestylusus is the best one? :?

Wouldn't NEXUS be a good tablet or Amazon's FIRE Kindle :?

Is there anything worthwhile approx. $200. 00 USD that you don't need a magnifying glass to see with :roll:

I am looking for a lighter tablet with a really long battery time and somewhat smaller than my Asus EP 121.

And, when will TVP be posting info about the Android version like: price and specs :?:

Thank you very much.
Last edited by Kathy Engelhard on 28 Jun 2012, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
TVPP 10.5
HP Pavilion Elite 180t
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

My big question is... when will it be available and will I have to purchase a separate license to use it on an Android tablet?
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Paul Fierlinger

Kathy Engelhard wrote:Thank you Eric for your help. I have more questions.

Which sensitive pressure tablet sytlus is the best one? :?

Wouldn't NEXUS be a good tablet or Amazon's FIRE Kindle :?

Is there anything worthwhile for aprox. $200. 00 USD that you don't need a magnifyong glass to see with :roll:

I am looking for a lighter tablet with a long battery time and somewhat smaller than my Asus EP 121.

And, when will TVP be posting info about the Android version like: price and specs :?:

Thank you very much.
I have the Kindle and I don't believe it is pressure sensitive. Have you looked into Microsoft's tablet "Surface" that is due at the end of this year? I hear only good things about it?
Paul
Kathy Engelhard

Thank you so much Paul, for the insight. I will wait and watch for the "SURFACE Tablet!" :D

* I just looked at it and WOW! It looks and sounds great but, what is an "EM STYLUS" :?:

Here is a link for more info for the version that has Win Pro and is the only version that has a stylus ability. Touch/finger only on RT version.

http://gdgt.com/microsoft/surface/for-w ... pro/specs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

** I found out that MS hopes to release it for the Sept. school season and if not then for the christmas season. :P

*** An even better link with a download link for both versions at the bottom of the webpage

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TVPP 10.5
HP Pavilion Elite 180t
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I have the Kindle and I don't believe it is pressure sensitive. Have you looked into Microsoft's tablet "Surface" that is due at the end of this year? I hear only good things about it?
TYou mean like this ?
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Paul Fierlinger

Embarrassing presentation -- mine stops just when it gets interesting. Here's a first review in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/techn ... -ipad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul
artfx

Post by artfx »

Isn't Samsung supposed to be releasing a 10" Galaxy note? There is no word on that yet? I would like to see this surface tablet too. I still think, in the future, a Tablet will be the ultimate mobile TVP solution. Imagine, traveling in the country and drawing stuff!!!
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Hervé
Site Admin

Post by Hervé »

TVPaint Animation 10 Open Beta on Android OS :D
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 648#p52648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team