Animatic Requests.

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
MrChoy

Animatic Requests.

Post by MrChoy »

Here are a couple of things that slow me down and drive me mad when making an animatic:
Camera. Only being able to have 1 move per scene is very limiting. I would love to have more as I am finding that a surprising number of my projects need multiple moves over the same board frame.

Editing the scenes in time line view.
This one is a real killer in longer projects. When I change the duration of a scene/clip all the others after it change as well. So any tweaks at the beginning of the project cause havoc. Could we have something like a keyboard modifier that allows us to limit the duration change to the two clips/scenes whose edge we are moving.?

TVP has become my default boarding and animation tool nowadays :-)
Thanks for listening
Fabrice

Re: Animatic Requests.

Post by Fabrice »

it's probably me but I didn't understand both requests. Can you add a few screenshots to illustrate ?
thanks for your reports, it helps improving the software.
Fabrice Debarge
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

The Camera.
It's a tricky thing to describe and maybe that is the problem. What I would like is a more fully featured camera tool so I can more easily put multiple key camera positions into a clip and in time within that clip. I just find the current tool a bit limiting or slow to use.

Editing Durations
screen shot of Clip:timeline view
screen shot of Clip:timeline view
edit.jpg (30.48 KiB) Viewed 33732 times
If i drag the marked border between the two clips to the left every clip after it moves as well. If I tweak one edit I then have to correct all the edits after it.

What I would like to be able to do is to have the option to drag it and have the end point of the second clip stay where it is. Perfect for finessing edits:-)
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

MrChoy wrote: If i drag the marked border between the two clips to the left every clip after it moves as well. If I tweak one edit I then have to correct all the edits after it.
+1
in Adobe Premiere it is called "rolling edit" http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premi ... lling.html

and when timing instances. it is like dragging the top left instance handle. What about handles on clips. like the instances?
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

MrChoy wrote: Editing the scenes in time line view.
This one is a real killer in longer projects. When I change the duration of a scene/clip all the others after it change as well. So any tweaks at the beginning of the project cause havoc. Could we have something like a keyboard modifier that allows us to limit the duration change to the two clips/scenes whose edge we are moving.?
This has been a pain for me also, it seems to readjust the endings when you stretch a scene in the middle. It would be nice to lock other ones in place so they don't get moved when you adjust the length of other ones. It's fine if they overlap (in some NLEs, both and audio and video, overlapping regions automatically get crossfaded, that would be a cool little feature here)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

madsjuul wrote:... What about handles on clips. like the instances?
(but clip's handles with a different look) ... why not ?
or simply a key modifier, I mean dragging the vertical separation will draw/push the whole part of the timeline content,
and Shift+Drag (or Ctrl+Drag) will affect only the 2 neighbouring clips durations, keeping all others locked in the timeline.
Last edited by ZigOtto on 26 Jun 2012, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, but how do you manage the "Mark in" and "Mark out" points inside the clips ?
Fabrice Debarge
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

by
Adding Exposures
Deleting exposures
Moving mark in
moving markout
shifting layer left or right

depending on the situation
-Mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

and bu the situation I mean the in point and outpoint of the layer. the post and pre behaviout the enabled/disabled of mark in or out
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

dabblz

Post by dabblz »

I suggest that if you are moving an edit point between two clips and only one or two clips are selected at the time you are dragging, the results should NOT affect any other clips. Only the selected clips. Simple.

In premiere, you have the rolling edit tool. But, also in Premiere, using the plain old Select tool transforms into an inpoint/outpoint tool when you hover over the cut on a selected clip. If you are adjusting only one clip's in point or out point, other clips don't change, unless you have multiple clips selected. Less relevant, but possibly of value: it's possible to edit multiple clip in/out points at the same time. Also, if you want to affect all clips along the timeline, it's quick to do this: you can select all clips on an entire track(s) from the selection time onward, then drag them in time.

d
Last edited by dabblz on 09 Nov 2012, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.
Retablez

Post by Retablez »

This is a headache for me too, and in fact this issue makes timeline view almost useless in this case: if you're working, e.g., on a 5 min short (and nothing more and nothing less that 5 min), every time you adjust the marked border between the two clips, this results on neverending movement in the border of the last clip, to make sure this coincides the 5 min. I'm new at version 10(and I'm still exploring it), but it seems that clips doesn't have the option of lock (the entire clip, the beginning mark or the ending mark). ¿Is there a possibility of moving clips respecting the boundary of time lenght?
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

maybe a request could be to introduce layers in the project timeline view
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Retablez

Post by Retablez »

Yes, Layers in the project timeline view could be also useful for making montages of two sources, maybe would be deadly and ram-killer for great projects, but it's a good idea. The issue here is to "lock" certain clips to avoid undesired clip boundaries movements.
MrChoy

Post by MrChoy »

Sad to say I have pretty much given up on the 'animatic' feature. I now just export the stills and edit them in Sony Vegas. It is way quicker with that work flow.
Hopefully in the future this aspect of TVP can be enhanced.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I combine TVPaint and Vegas in my work flow as well. I never saw the Project-Timeline mode as a total replacement of Vegas (or Premier). In my work flow both applications fill different functions and this is why I create my storyboards in the thumbnail view and pretty much ignore the timeline.

The thumbnail view has a very practical function, especially when I zoom the panels to full size. I can read the pacing of my developing story just by glancing at the panels in their proper order and imagine the pacing, which I then fulfill by turning each into an animatic and watch the lineup of panels now by hovering my mouse over the panels, one after another.

As I start animating, I often switch between panels and work on two or three of them at the same time -- sometimes even on more than three. This is something you can't do in Vegas, nor in the Projects Timeline view.

At the same time I take these clips to Vegas, where I can look at different aspects, for instance stretch or condense clips using the Ripple effect (probably the same as Rolling in Premier) to try out a slower or faster pacing of the clips.

So I think that TVP's Project-Timeline is just for creating storyboards (a lineup of stills) to communicate with clients or a team, whereas the Panel/Thumbnail view is to streamline the animation process.
Last edited by Paul Fierlinger on 06 Mar 2013, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet