Blend Layers merge bug?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Sewie

Blend Layers merge bug?

Post by Sewie »

Hello dear TVP friends,

I might have stumbled on a rather serious bug, I think: when I use layers in blend mode (multiply, sub, add, etc) and then merge those layers, something strange happens. The layers seem to behave as if a mask in present and cuts off part of the image from the blend layer.

Here is a screenshot:
MultiplyBug_01.jpg
MultiplyBug_01.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 17533 times
There is strange behavior happening not only in Multiply mode but also with most other blend modes; layers get either cut off or their effect entirely disappears when merged. Please check this if you can.
Last edited by Sewie on 09 Feb 2015, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
furushil

Re: Blend Layers merge bug?

Post by furushil »

I think this is normal behavior. Your canvas is probably blank (alpha channel) and you are multiplying the blue to "nothing", so nothing comes out at the end.
No pixels are there to be multiplied with.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Sewie wrote:Hello dear TVP friends,

I might have stumbled on a rather serious big, I think: when I use layers in blend mode (multiply, sub, add, etc) and then merge those layers, something strange happens. The layers seem to behave as if a mask in present and cuts off part of the image from the blend layer.
yep, not really a bug to my eyes,
it happens because your Multiplied layer is multiplied over all the layers underneath,
included the BG when existing, here, your BG is apparently set on Color (= white),
if you set it to None, the pre-merged / post-merged layers will display exactly the same thing,
(in your exemple, the blue part out of the yellow area will disapear).
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Thanks guys! That explains it.
The thing is; when I do exactly the same thing in photoshop I get such a different result. Like this when merged:
MultiplyBug_02.jpg
MultiplyBug_02.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 17519 times
You see, it doesn't clip any layers, so I was expecting the same from TVP. But now that I know why TVP does it this way, I can take it into account.
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Looks like a bug to me too. If the blue is seen before the merge ( already multiplied with a transparent background ) you would expect it to be still seen after the merge.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Well, I would prefer to have the merged layers not clip any artwork. Because this means that I am forced to merge my layers with a solid color underneath.
If I could keep the properties of the blend layers exactly the way they were before they were merged, it would give me a lot more flexibility.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

the Issue Michael started this thread for, is maybe linked with this issue... when exporting images with layers set in blendmodes (other then color)

i just had this issue:
I wanted to export a yellow line drawing with alpha channel, that is on a layer set to blendmode shade.
in my project view this drawing looks as if it has black lines. but after export i get the original yellow line color.

i could off course recolor the lines and export in colormode.
i'm just wondering about the logic and desirability of the current behaviour.

The advantage of a "what you see is what you get"-behaviour is probably obvious.
but what is the advantage of the current behaviour, i suspect it has to do with some deeper level of logic?
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM