Problem installing Sentinel Drivers on Linux Mint Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
namyrb

Problem installing Sentinel Drivers on Linux Mint

Post by namyrb »

Hi,

Running linux mint 17.1 Cinnamon and I'm not able to successfully install the Sentinel drivers (from the 10.5.7 package). I've tested it on other distributions including Ubuntu Gnome and Centos and everything worked fine. Mint is the only distro that isn't working for me. I get this error when I try to install:

Code: Select all

This script will install Sentinel USB Daemon 7.5.1:
Selecting previously unselected package sntl-sud.
(Reading database ... 202165 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack sntl-sud_7.5.1-0_i386.deb ...
Unpacking sntl-sud (7.5.1-0) over (7.5.1-0) ...
USB Daemon uninstalled successfully.
Setting up sntl-sud (7.5.1-0) ...
-e 
Error: Problem in starting Sentinel USB Daemon, Please run load_daemon.sh manually.
Did some digging and I tried running load_daemon.sh manually and it gives me this error:

./load_daemon.sh: 59: .: Can't open /etc/init.d/functions
I checked /etc/init.d and functions does not exist in that directory...

Any advice?

Thanks
Eric Scholl

Re: Problem installing Sentinel Drivers on Linux Mint

Post by Eric Scholl »

Hi namyrb,

It's a known problem which should be solved in the next updates of TVPaint.
We know that if you tried to install the other package, you could have some files to remove manually.

So please follow exactly all the steps of this process:

1) Remove the /opt/safenet_sentinel file if it exist, using the following command :

sudo rm /opt/safenet_sentinel
2) In the OLD safenet sentinel installer, go in "sentinel_protection_installer/Debian_support/driver" and execute the "sud_uninstall.sh" script using the following commands :

cd  sentinel_protection_installer/Debian_support/driver
sudo ./sud_uninstall.sh
3) Download the NEW installer using the following link and extract it anywhere you want it to be.
sentinel_protection_installer_forMint.zip
(4.43 MiB) Downloaded 1506 times
4) In the NEW safenet sentinel installer, go in "sentinel_protection_installer/Debian_support/driver" and execute the "sud_install.sh" script using the following commands :

cd  sentinel_protection_installer/Debian_support/driver
sudo ./sud_install.sh
After that, everything should be installed as it should.
namyrb

Post by namyrb »

It works! Thank you!
Lars K

Post by Lars K »

Hey, sorry for hijacking an old thread, but I'm still having this very problem.

I'm using a 64-bit Arch Linux, barely a week old, and a freshly downloaded TVP11 Pro. TVP was installed without much problem using debtap, but none of the Sentinel install scripts work, giving me the same error message:

Error: Problem in starting Sentinel USB Daemon, Please run load_daemon.sh manually.
This was also true for when I tried to install it on my laptop a couple months ago.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Lars K

Post by Lars K »

Alright, so I got it somewhat working, but I have to run both the usbdaemon and tvpaint as a super user for the dongle to work, and it is very unstable, probably because I used a poorly converted install script. It occasionally crashes on normal operations such as cutting, and it plays any animation fine, until I stop it, at which point it freezes. That's about as much as I can do for now, though, so all I can do is hope you add support for Arch some time in the future. :)

EDIT:
Fabrice wrote:protection system will evolve, but in a few months.
That's cool, looking forward to that. I got Windows working again just five seconds ago, so I'm not completely lost in the meanwhile. :D
Last edited by Lars K on 13 Mar 2016, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

protection system will evolve, but in a few months.
Fabrice Debarge
namyrb

Post by namyrb »

Hi,

Are there updated sentinel drivers for ubuntu 16.04?

Thanks
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

I have had no problem with the existing Sentinel driver on Ubuntu 16.04. Sometimes I have to run the daemon manually before I start up TVPaint, but it works.
namyrb

Post by namyrb »

I was definitely having a problem, but I think it's because I'm using KDE Neon.

load_daemon.sh was trying to open '/etc/init.d/functions', but inside the script it's supposed to run '/lib/lsb/init-functions' for Ubuntu/Debian

For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to believe it's debian so it decides to run '/etc/init.d/functions'

So I went to these lines in 'load_daemon.sh':

case $OS in
SUSE)
	. /etc/rc.status
	;;
Debian)
	. /lib/lsb/init-functions
	;;
*)
    . /etc/init.d/functions
	;;
esac

and changed '/etc/init.d/functions' to '/lib/lsb/init-functions'

Seems to work now.
deruji

Post by deruji »

Lars K wrote: 06 Mar 2016, 12:17 Hey, sorry for hijacking an old thread, but I'm still having this very problem.

I'm using a 64-bit Arch Linux, barely a week old, and a freshly downloaded TVP11 Pro. TVP was installed without much problem using debtap, but none of the Sentinel install scripts work, giving me the same error message:

This was also true for when I tried to install it on my laptop a couple months ago.

Sorry for bumping this old thread. I'm in a similar situation using 64-bit Manjaro based on Arch Linux. TVpaint itself runs without problems, I only have to manually start the sentinel driver.
Has anyone found a workaround or modified install script for the sentinel driver?
The traditional 2D animator working with local and international artists.
You can help support my work to make traditional animation, here.
Lars K

Post by Lars K »

My solution was to install start-stop-daemon from the AUR, and in load_daemon.sh commenting out the bit where it looks for ". /etc/init.d/functions", and default all the rest of the cases to the debian option. tvpaint should work like a charm after that. Bit of a lazy hack, I'm sure there are better ways, but hey.
deruji wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 11:57
Lars K wrote: 06 Mar 2016, 12:17 Hey, sorry for hijacking an old thread, but I'm still having this very problem.

Sorry for bumping this old thread. I'm in a similar situation using 64-bit Manjaro based on Arch Linux. TVpaint itself runs without problems, I only have to manually start the sentinel driver.
Has anyone found a workaround or modified install script for the sentinel driver?