Is it possible to recover a corrupted file? Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to recover a corrupted file?

Post by Dean »

Hello, this sounds very weird indeed! If the file is open in TVPaint, it normally cannot be overwritten.
Is the autobackup feature enabled inside your TVPaint?
Probably a vampire
ewester

Post by ewester »

Hey TVP team! Seems like this is the thread everyone's posting in to get some help with corrupt files. I have one as well, it was opening just fine a few weeks ago, and now it freezes the program every time I try to open. (It doesn't even show me the loading screen, it just immediately freezes the whole application).

Here's the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lUHtMx ... sp=sharing

Here's my specs:
TVpaint 10.5.7 standard edition
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) version 22H2
Cintiq 21UX (wacom driver 6.3.15)

Please let me know if you need any other info from me. Your help would be deeply appreciated!
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, I managed to save your file and contacted you via PM :)
Probably a vampire
Simon W Edmondson

Post by Simon W Edmondson »

I've encountered this problem a couple of times in the past few months and the way I found around it was to install TVP on another machine,
copy the file onto a flash drive, take the dongle to the other machine,
open the file on that machine and 'save as' under a new name onto the flash drive.
Take that back o the original and open it up.

It seems to have worked so far but, don't know what causes the problem?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Simon, does the TVPaint on your previous machine then refuses to open any project file or just this particular one?
Also, is the file copied always on the same flash drive?
Probably a vampire
Quasy21

Post by Quasy21 »

Hi, my computer crashed while I was working on my personal project and my file seems to have been corrupted in some kind of way as I can't open it anymore.. It's clearly my fault to not have more backup, but I've lost an entire month of work and I'm kinda depressed right now.. If someone here could help me find a way to recover my project, I would be so grateful!! I work on an old tvpaint version, the 10.0.16
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Quasy21 wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 19:51Hi, my computer crashed while I was working on my personal project and my file seems to have been corrupted in some kind of way as I can't open it anymore.. It's clearly my fault to not have more backup, but I've lost an entire month of work and I'm kinda depressed right now.. If someone here could help me find a way to recover my project, I would be so grateful!! I work on an old tvpaint version, the 10.0.16
Hi, please update your software first, by going in the "Help > Check for updates" main menu, then try to open your project again.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Peter Point

Post by Peter Point »

I also have a file that shuts down after loading, is it fixable?
https://we.tl/t-gvgyA9a5UR

I use TV Paint 9.5, windows 11
maara_p

Post by maara_p »

Peter Point wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 19:28 I also have a file that shuts down after loading, is it fixable?
https://we.tl/t-gvgyA9a5UR

I use TV Paint 9.5, windows 11
I was able to open your file in TVPaint 11.5.3. Its timeline looked like this:
Screenshot 2023-12-08 204209.png
Screenshot 2023-12-08 204209.png (17.16 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
I guess first try the same advice as in the post above – update your TVPaint version.
(You can keep your old TVPaint installation beside the new one, it's just recommended not to run both at the same time)
Peter Point

Post by Peter Point »

I do run the latetst version of 9.5.21, so am I supposed to upgrade to a higher version? No other project ever froze like this. Could you save it and send it to me, would that work?
maara_p

Post by maara_p »

9.5 is not the latest version. 11.7.2 is. When you run software from 2009 on latest Windows you're kind of asking for problems :)
Log in your account at tvpaint.com and download the current version. You should be able to open your file without a crash.

As a backup I exported your project in PNGs (and JSON). (edit: now taken offline after download)

Sidenote: maybe one of the reasons your project crashes is its format 4800 x 4800 px. I suspect older versions of TVP were not handling these sizes so gracefully.
Last edited by maara_p on 09 Dec 2023, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Point

Post by Peter Point »

maara_p wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 22:07 9.5 is not the latest version. 11.7.2 is. When you run software from 2009 on latest Windows you're kind of asking for problems :)
Log in your account at tvpaint.com and download the current version. You should be able to open your file without a crash.

As a backup I exported your project in PNGs (and JSON).

Sidenote: maybe one of the reasons your project crashes is its format 4800 x 4800 px. I suspect older versions of TVP were not handling these sizes so gracefully.

Thank you so much for exporting the project to PNG's. I downloaded them so you can take them offline. I'll check out the latest version and keep in mind that older TV Paint might not really do well with the large file size.

Thanks!!
Simon W Edmondson

Dean.
Apologies, I didn't see your question from June until now ( busy with other things ).
Been wrestling with other problems so memory may not be 100% but, I think what happened was,

TVP froze on my Imac and refused to load a project worked on that machine.
Then loaded that project file onto a memory stick and installed TVP on a Mac mini and used that to load the project file from the memory stick.
It then opened.
Saved that file as a separate iteration, and took that back to the Imac via the same memory stick.and opened it on that.It worked.

Can't recall clearly whether I saved that over the top of the original file or assigned a new listing,but it did work.
It happened 2-3 times over a six month period and the same process worked each time ti 'fix' it.
Not sure if the same memory stick was used each time, but it seems unlikely.
regards
simon
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Simon, if such a behavior occurs on one Mac but not the other, I am wondering if a specific antivirus program or system settings is barring TVPaint from accessing/writing data normally on the hard drive.
Probably a vampire
Simon W Edmondson

Dean

I don't run anti virus software on the Macs but do have "Clean my Mac"running going. Don't know if that might be a problem?
It hasn't happened for a while, and have been busy with other things, but will watch out more carefully should it happen again.
regards
simon